Message 1 of 9

QM New roughing cycles
06-09-2002 10:22 . am | View his/her posts only
Roughing

Roughing is a separate discipline in QM and doesn

Dan

Message 2 of 9

09-09-2002 09:33 . am | View his/her posts only
A litle bit more about Area Clearance (AC)

AC support milling of closed and open pockets as optimal as possible. To simplify tool description two extra parameters are present in AC cycles (they place should be on tool form!):

Allow plunging = Y if the tool can plunge in any manner N if the can't plunge under any circumstances (can mill only bottom to top).

Ramp Angle = the angle of ramping [1..90]. For tools that can plunge (!) is the recommended ramping angle. 90 means the tool can direct drill.

So if a closed pocket is detected and if the tool can't plunge this pocket will not be milled!

I suggest using QM with tools that can plunge and whenever is possible to drill Ramp Angle = 90 and use AFC different weighted to slow down the tool however this "trick" isn't a general solution for all roughing scenarios.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 9

13-09-2002 02:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
One of the questions I get in the field is the subject of "plunge roughing"
Several CAM competitors offer pluge roughing and regard it as better.
Will QM support plunge roughing operations?

Here is an article taken from mmonline:
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/100001.html

"Hilton Tool realizes more efficient rough machining by making milling moves in the Z direction.
Plunge roughing is an appropriate name for the method the shop now uses to rough out blocks of H13 or P20 steel for dies and molds. Plunge roughing in general is still uncommon enough, but this shop takes an uncommon approach to it. The shop devised a variation on the technique that involves the use of conventional milling cutters instead of specialized plunging tools. In fact, shop personnel had little success with plunge roughing until they made this tooling switch and made the technique their own.

The fundamental principle behind any plunge roughing process is to remove metal by feeding only in Z, never in X and Y. The tool makes a series of overlapping, drilling-like plunges to remove one cylindrical plug of material after another with each pass. Intuitively this may sound like an inefficient approach, but it

Dan

Message 4 of 9

13-09-2002 03:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
I wrote a preview cycle there. I don

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 9

16-09-2002 12:14 . pm | View his/her posts only
I think people are still more intersted in High speed finishing than plunge roughing at this time.
But I know serious machinists (which we do not have a large quantity of) will want plunge roughing in the future.

How much work (time) would be involved in developing a functional plunge roughing operation?

Dan

Message 6 of 9

16-09-2002 12:54 . pm | View his/her posts only
In version 7.0 will be already a plunge roughing cycle. I pretend to be experimental because we need a little bit of feedback from users to have a more serious cycle.

The QM plunge is fast and robust but lacks maturity. I hope with good feed back we will have very quickly a good plunge roughing.

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 9

16-09-2002 01:24 . pm | View his/her posts only
I will ask customers what they want, as well as find out what they dislike about the competitiors versions and write back.

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 9

18-09-2002 07:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Hallo

Tooldefinition
I agree with you that in the tool definition must be the information if the tool can plunge and under with angle. Must be there not also a limit how long this angle must be? For example: If i plunge with a tool und 2degree but the distance of this move is too small it will breack the tool also. There must be a distance minimum setup, to make sure that the tool is moving enough to come over the critical point where the flutes are free. Means if you have a tool diameter10 and in the middle is a 4mm area where no flute is, the distance of movement is at least more than this 4mm.
Often you still can plunge with tool without having a centerflute. Specially in HSM the distance in Z you plunge is not that mutch and if the plunge angle is small and long enough you can plun with the tool.

Roughing option
It sounds really good these options and i looking for it. What you have described and the options you have is great. Also the part about calculating the actual stock after an operation.

So when it is planned to build that into vx?

Dan

Message 9 of 9

19-09-2002 09:49 . am | View his/her posts only
In its first incarnation of QM roughing if a tool can
See also