CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD Tutorial & Tips > Using Temporary Track point in autocad or zwcad

Using Temporary Track point in autocad or zwcad

maker

Message 1 of 8

Using Temporary Track point in autocad or zwcad
03-06-2008 10:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
Fun With Zwcad
1. Using 'Temporary Track point' in autocad or Zwcad
Adding a 'From' snap

Quite a few ex Autocad users may be missing the 'From' snap and the 'Mid2points' snap. Well, the 'from' snap is easy enough (For non-Autocadders: it snaps to a point a relative distance from another point.).

Let's say for example, you want to start a circle of radius 5mm, '10,25' mm away from the endpoint of existing rectangle:
  1. 1. Click on RECTANGLE icon ( or type rec)
  2. 2. [Type, as shown in italics, at the comandline] 2Point/3Point/Ttr(tan tan radius)/Arc/Multiple/ < Center of circle >: tt
  3. 3. Select temporary track point: <i>click on the selected 'reference' endpoint (of rectangle).
  4. 4. 2Point/3Point/Ttr(tan tan radius)/Arc/Multiple/<Center of circle>: @10,25
  5. 5. Diameter/<Radius>: 5
Copy Code

Have fun!

maker2008-06-03 22:14:37

maker

Message 2 of 8

03-06-2008 10:15 . pm | View his/her posts only

Fun With Zwcad
Temporary track - 2
Mid2Points (well, sort of)

The second item - 'snap to midpoint of two points' is bit more tricky. And it works only when the points are in one line; or at known angle.

Let's say you want to start a circle of radius 50 units, at the midpoint of 2 triangles - as seen in the picture below (Please note that I've changed the model-view background, from default Black to White.

polar_%20track%20dialog%20box

Before you start, Right-click on the POLAR tab (in the status bar at the bottom). In the dialogue box, make the changes as shown above. You'll understand why later

polar-track-as-mid2points

[VIEW 1].
a. Click on the CIRCLE icon. (Or type c)
b. 2Point/3Point/Ttr(tan tan radius)/Arc/Multiple/<Center of circle>: tt
c. Pause the cursor over the left Endpoint [point a] as shown in view 1. (DON'T CLICK) and move it Up Right at around 45 degrees. You'll see the dotted 'tracking' line. Now again pause over the endpoint of the Right Triangle [point b]. Move it Up Left till you see both the dotted tracking lines meet at one point [point c].
Click there.

[VIEW 2]

a. Move the cursor downwards till you see a vertical line and a horizontal line meeting, as shown. (If necessary, pause over any one of the triangle-endpoints again to get the tracking line)
b. Click there [point d]

[VIEW 3]
At the prompt Diameter/<Radius> <75.654>: 50

That's it. Have Fun! _Tongue_

With some practice you can get it to work quite fast. the problem, of course, is that it works only when points are aligned.A better solution, THOUGH, would be to make a lisp routine for mid2points. [HINT. HINT]

[with some imagination, and changes in the 'Polar' settings box - it should be possible to snap to midpoint of two objects at regular angles (15 degrees, 30 degrees...etc). Ask: How?, if you can't guess.]

maker2008-06-03 22:31:29

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 8

04-06-2008 10:03 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello, Maker. Thank you for your share! Yes, That is fun and useful. With the feature of Temporary Track and compared coordinate, ZWCAD users can make drawing more precisely and conveniently.

Try ZWCAD+ free for 30 days:
http://www.zwsoft.com/zwcad+/

maker

Message 4 of 8

04-06-2008 11:07 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks, Rab.
But, like I said, it would be better to load a 'mid2points' lisp routine. I found some on the net - but, for some reason, they don't load in Zwcad ;( Probably because some system variables don't work exactly the same.
It probably isn't too difficult to modify them to work on Zwcad. when I get the time I'll learn more autolisp and do it. I'll post the result here Smile

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 8

05-06-2008 02:04 . am | View his/her posts only

Thank you, maker.
Rab, we all hope ZWCAD 2009 will have more fast tracking. Star
Pavel2008-06-05 02:07:48

maker

Message 6 of 8

05-06-2008 11:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks, Pavel for your comments.
we were wondering where you were. Nice to know you're still around Tongue

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 8

17-10-2008 03:00 . pm | View his/her posts only
[QUOTE=maker] Thanks, Rab.But, like I said, it would be better to load a 'mid2points' lisp routine. I found some on the net - but, for some reason, they don't load in Zwcad ;(
This macros is working
  1. (setq p1(getpoint"1-я точка :")p2(getpoint p1 "2-я точка :")p(polar p1(angle p1 p2)(/(distance p1 p2)2)));'
Copy Code

Good luck!

_mac

Message 8 of 8

26-11-2008 09:12 . am | View his/her posts only
[QUOTE=Pavel][QUOTE=maker] Thanks, Rab.But, like I said, it would be better to load a 'mid2points' lisp routine. I found some on the net - but, for some reason, they don't load in Zwcad ;(
This macros is working
  1. (setq p1(getpoint"1-я точка :")p2(getpoint p1 "2-я точка :")p(polar p1(angle p1 p2)(/(distance p1 p2)2)));'
Copy Code

Good luck!

or you can add this routine to your start up suite

(defun m2p (/ pt1 pt2)
(setq pt1 (getpoint "'nEnter first point: "))
(setq pt2 (getpoint pt1 "'nEnter second point: "))
(polar pt1 (angle pt1 pt2) (/ (distance pt1 pt2) 2.0))
)

You can use this in the middle of a command by typing in (m2p).

Regards,

Mac_mac2008-11-26 09:38:41
See also