CAD software discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Trochoidal Roughing ... what's the demand?

Trochoidal Roughing ... what's the demand?

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 3

Trochoidal Roughing ... what's the demand?
15-11-2002 08:32 . am | View his/her posts only
There is a recent buzz about trochoidal roughing (especially for hard milling) and wanted to ask you if you are getting requests for it from your customers and dealers.

Has it been a deal-breaker? Have you lost any accounts because it was needed?

Does it really reduce machining time or is it a fad?

Is it a non-issue because we are coming out with true Adaptive Feedrate Control?

What other software has this machining method (and do they do it well)?

Thanks for your feedback.

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 3

15-11-2002 02:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
Mastercam has trochoidal and Delcam too but it appears Cimatron is the biggest supporter.

DelCam offers this explaination:
http://www.delcam.com/info/nd22/HSM.htm
Delcam has also added a new trochoidal machining option. This avoids full-width cuts when machining slots by generating toolpaths that progressively shave material from the block in a circular motion. The new option adjusts the toolpath automatically to maintain efficient and safe machining at any direction changes in the slot.

As for users asking for it, not a one. I don't think any of my customers could spell trochoidal let along use it.
Of course, it would be another feature to offer don't get me wrong.

IMHO,I think what we need is some cool marketing material (like Cimatron's trochoidal brochures) that touts the benefits of AFC over trochoidal. Iam sure Dan could give us the definative reasoning behind why AFC eliminates the need for trochoidal cuts.

Dan

Message 3 of 3

17-11-2002 10:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
The GG (not Good Game) baned me to answer for 2 weeks in this matter!

I let you guy to debate the problem here.

And I'll come in 2 weeks time with in depth discussion about this issue. Obvious I
See also