Some Cam pics

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 8

Some Cam pics
18-11-2002 11:37 . am | View his/her posts only
I'm sure you all have your favorite Cam pics that you use, but just in case, here's some nice ones from some of our cam demo parts.

Dan

Message 2 of 8

18-11-2002 02:22 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well done Mike!

Looks pretty cool and suggests well our capabilities.

Some suggestions:

1. If you have a projective cycle and the toolpath is dotted because occurs a Z buffering problem in OpenGL you can add a small surface thick to avoid this (see in hslwire.jpg);

2. I recommend using solid lines and different colors for lead in, lead out, links and motion moves. This will make easier to understand different motions presented on the screen.

3. It is nice to do some pencil drive curves make number of steps = 5..10 in pencil.

4. A offset 3D rest finishing would be nice too. This can serious differentiate QM against 80% of other entry level cam products.

5. If you do angular clipping against lace would be nice to present the initial lace cycle too. This makes more sense and is a pretty unique feature in QM. Again if you present orthogonal lace techniques is nice to use side cut limited in the same maner too + initial lace cycle this is more modern than 2 orthogonal lace cycle. This pattern it is used in the some of our template for semifinish process.

6. Another nice feature is to enable equal cusp pas in side cut in particular for parts with horizontal flat lands like the Markus pump part. And we have a finishing cycle that can mill any part at a given equal cusp in one pass feature aware bottom to top and plenty other goodies. This is nice selling point too.

7. Maybe a holder collision avoidance would be nice to present too in simulation stage when the holder is visible. I saw a clamp avoidance in face part is a nice example.

8. A pure offset3D only in the active part in the cavity of a mold bottle for example + end mill lace on horizontal places would be a nice demo too.

I hope this makes sense.

--dan

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 8

20-11-2002 07:34 . am | View his/her posts only
You are correct about all points, and the tip about using a small thick to give a better picture is valid, in fact I knew that and should have done it sorry
About the pencil cuts and also offset 3d rest cuts, do you (or anybody else) have any examples where the toolpath is not wavy. I know it's all in tolerance, but if I could get any parts that don't have the wavy thing I would be really grateful.
The original images are for a mag article, and your point about using equal cusp is also very valid and of course a brilliant feature, but sometimes this great toolpath does not always make a great image. However if anybody has any cam images that show this and any of the other points mentioned, please, please,please,please post them

Dan

Message 4 of 8

20-11-2002 08:37 . am | View his/her posts only
About Rest and Pencil.

You should create good toolpath easy for Rest Finish and Pencil Drive Curve.

If rest detection isn

Dan

Message 5 of 8

20-11-2002 08:58 . am | View his/her posts only
I think another nice techniques in QM, pretty unique too, is conversion of any finishing cycle in roughing.

I suggest here two possible nice screen captures:
1. One could be called

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 8

20-11-2002 09:58 . am | View his/her posts only
Absolutely splendid images, many thanks. I'll try the parts in VX soon using your params, but I'm sure it will be ok, thanks once again

Dan

Message 7 of 8

20-11-2002 10:12 . am | View his/her posts only
Anyway don't be panicked if you don't obtain them proper. I'm doing now some work in rest milling detection and smoothing the regions too. I hope to have a VXQM these days that will be improve quite a bit in this issues. Look after VXQMV0.10.2 or upper still available only on my machine

I don

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 8

21-11-2002 08:34 . am | View his/her posts only
The circular boss roughing and the HSM electrode elimination sounds great. Any chance of an example VX file?
See also