CAD software discussion forum > CAD > Issues with Blocks

Issues with Blocks

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 16

Issues with Blocks
24-08-2010 10:13 . am | View his/her posts only
How do I view all blocks in a manager style window to view thumbnails and select/delete etc.?
I cannot actually see how to delete blocks..!
This could be an issue. I have hundreds of blocks of various components and need to be able to see them all at a glance for insertion, deletion or editing etc. (As I have become accustomed with CADopia) Especially since ZWCAD has the Acad option of "Paste as Block" which gives the new block a random character type name. Which means I'd need to see it as a thumbnail (among MANY) before selecting it for insertion.

Excuse my ignorance, I am new at this software and I wish to be certain it will be suitable before purchasing.

Any help on this would be ... Awesome.!

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Dear Damo,

Of course we have this kind of "manager style window" to view Blocks in thumbnails. That is called Design Center in ZWCAD.

You can open it at Tools-> Design Center, or just click the icon on toolbar.
Just follow this screenshot below:

You can find all your blocks included in the current drawing here. And drag and drop them easily into drawing area.

Enjoy it!Wink

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Yes Yes Yes... Thanks Daniel.

That's the thumbnail views I was looking for.
And I can detach it and open it BIG to reopen where I put it last time. Cool..!

Although I still don't see how to delete a block. (maybe I'm not looking in the correct place)

I guess it doesn't really matter. They don't hurt much being there.
(Maybe makes the dwg file larger than needs be), But I would like to be able to delete some occasionally.

Also is there a properties (or something like it) to tell me which layer any given block is on?

Thanks again very much for your help Daniel..!

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Dear Damo,

You can't delete a block in Design Center directly, because some of them maybe in use. If you want to delete those blocks that didn't used in the current drawing, use PURGE command to purge them, then you won't see it in Design Center. PURGE command can delete many useless things in the drawing , not only blocks, to cut down the file size.

To know the layer of given block, just select the block and you will see its layer at the toolbar. Is it what you want?

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 16

Issues with Blocks

To know the layer of given block, just select the block and you will see its layer at the toolbar. Is it what you want?

That works in model and paperspace while the appropriate layer is on with no worries. Not quite what I meant though.

What I guess I really want to know is why some blocks in "Design Center" are displayed as Black Thumbnails and when inserted they "vanish", to end up on a different "Turned off" layer.
(trawling through 150 or so layers to find it is an arduous task. And time consuming)

Previously (with different software) I would Right click/ Properties in the blocks explorer and find the layer it's on and copy from there to new layer.
Or explode it and recreate it on "Layer 0" then it's visible forevermore.
Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm making any sense.Confused

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 16

Issues with Blocks
I am still having some issues with blocks.
ie. I cannot seem to delete individual unnecessary blocks
And, it seems that many of my blocks inserted via "Design Center" are out of scale.
When I insert my block of 100 PFC It displays on the drawing as being 4 mm high instead of 100. ...

What-the..!?!?

Am I missing an insert scale default setting or something here.

Please advise ... TIA.

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Hi Damo, nice to see you again~

I tested this issue, but it seems normal in my side. There is not any settings for scale if you just drag a block from Design Center, It will just be as its original size and scale.

But When you insert a block by Insert Menu -> block, there is a setting in the dialog box to adjust the Scale.

No matter what method you use to insert a block, after inserting it, you can select it and see its property, there is X'Y'Z scale setting there, keep it as 1' 1' 1, then it should be original. Just like below:

Besides, if some blocks you never used in the drawing, you can use PURGE command to delete them. Daniel2010-09-02 10:56:23

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Ok. Thanks for your reply Dan.
I do see the setting in the geometry section of the properties dialog as you demonstrated above.
Nevertheless it is the case that every block I insert (no matter which method. Toolbar icon, Design Center, etc.) ALL display at .0394:1 Scale factor.
All my blocks were drawn at 1:1 Scale. I do NOT understand why this is...
I can workaround it by adjusting the Properties EACH and EVERY time a block is inserted.
But, I don't think it is supposed to be like that.

I am currently trialling Version 2010.07.30(14725.422) you posted in this thread earlier.

Ummm..?!?!

Hmm ... Purge? Ok! But, no option at all to delete specific individual blocks? (Like layers can.)

vlad_simple

Message 9 of 16

02-09-2010 02:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
I just got "last" ZWCAD from offsite.
And it just 14725.292(RUS)
Where I can take 2010.07.30(14725.422)or 14730 russian???

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Dear Damo,

About delete specific individual blocks, Purge can really do it. Firstly, make sure the block defination you want to delete is not in use. then use Purge, in the dialog box, expand Block, and you will see blocks that is not in use, then select those you want to delete and click Purge.
Remember to select "View items you can purge" at the top.

For the Block Scale issue, it's really a strange one. As I do this, every time the scale is 1. I tried to change every setting mention about "scale", like page plot scale, dimension scale, but the block scale remains 1.
When you insert it use menu bar, in the Insert Dialog box, you can change the Scale. Set it as follow:

When you drag the block out from Design Center, before you click to put it on, you can type "s" to enter a scale factor for this insert. But it won't keep the factor next time in my test. You can try to set it when inserting , and see if it keeps.

For further questions, you can also give me some snapshots like above to show the problem more clearly. It will be better for us to help you. Thanks!

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Ok thank you Daniel. Again you have been Very helpful in guiding me through the nuances of this new software for me.
The aforementioned "Purge" tip works a treat. Mind you there is a ghost of the purged block shown in "D.C." Until the drawing is reopened.

Now... If I could just sort out how to re-name a block....?!?

OldForumPost

Message 12 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Dear Damo,

To rename a block is very easy. Try this command : Rename. Then you'll see this dialog box:

So you know how to do the rest of the operation, don't you? Wink

About the Ghost Block back in D.C., I hope you can send the sample dwg file to me to test this problem. You can use "file upload" here. Thanks!

OldForumPost

Message 13 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Thanks Dan. But, that's not as easy as it could be...
Truly easy would be a right click menu option INSIDE the Design Center ON the block in question (Where I can see the block preview.)
As a workaround (until this feature can be implemented,)I can Open DC to see the block Then keep it onscreen while rename command opens the indicated dialog box to rename.
Once rename is completed the DC window must be closed and opened again for changes to take effect. (sometimes twice?!)

Can I make a "Button" to bring up the Rename Command?

The ghost Block is only the deleted block not being recognised by DC as deleted until next time the dwg is opened. It offers no preview nor is it insertable and is not really a problem, just ... odd.

I realise this is different software to that which I am familiar with, and there will be a learning curve. My comparisons to my current software (CADopia) is, for me, only a guide. It was buggy and crashed often enough to be problematic.* But, there were a few good ideas on how it handled blocks and layers. So I am not complaining. Just observing..

* ZW crashes sometimes too. (read: leader tool) but, It tries, and succeeds, in saving the dwg before closing. Wink

OldForumPost

Message 14 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Thanks Damo, your suggestion are always kind and useful.

I think that is a really easy way to rename a block that you mentioned, I will try to submit it and reliaze it in the future edition.

About making a button, that is quite easy, you can use CUSTOMIZE command. I got a record for you:

Also, here I give you a tutorial to learn ZWCAD systematically:http://download3.zwcad.com/Tech/2010/ZWCAD2010_Tutorial.rar

ZWCAD is getting more and more stable and easier to use with your help. Thanks!Daniel2010-09-09 10:34:41

OldForumPost

Message 15 of 16

Issues with Blocks
THAT is great. Thank you Daniel. I have a "Rename" button now!
It will make things a little faster (by not typing the command each time.)
I really only need to rename blocks made with the "Paste as Block" command. It helps to better identify them when working with multiple drawings.

Feels good to hear that one of my suggestions may actually alter this software (for the better) in future releases. Thumbs%20Up

OldForumPost

Message 16 of 16

Issues with Blocks
Haha Damo, that's because you really gave us a lot of useful ideas and suggestions.

We should just thank you!
See also