CAD software discussion forum > CAD > Deleting Layers

Deleting Layers

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 13

Deleting Layers
24-08-2010 10:15 . am | View his/her posts only

What am I missing here. ?!?!
Yesterday while I was working I needed to quickly open a seperate dwg file. So, I dragged it from the folder it's in to the open zwcad window to drop it in and open another window in the process.
But, I noticed that it was trying to insert itself into the current drawing. I did not want this so I canceled and opened the second file with the Open dialog in the file menu.
That was fine until this morning when I realized that ALL THE LAYERS AND BLOCKS from the second drawing are now copied/inserted into the my first drawing.
Worse is I cannot seem to delete them.
I could not delete the layers from the "Layers Properties Manager"
It just tells me "35 layers of 35 could not be deleted". It made mention of layer 0 and Defpoints that couldn't be deleted. But, I wasn't trying to delete those layers. (The initial drawing was big enough already, now there are well over 200 layers!!)

Is this a bug or omitted feature, Is there a workaround?
If not, please set me straight on what I misunderstand or am doing wrong.

Please Advise .. TIA.

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 13

Deleting Layers

Dear Damo,

I tested about what you said and unfortunatly confirmed that, this problem do exists.

Actually, just when you drag the drawing A into your current drawing B, ZWCAD will immediatly create drawing A's layers and blocks in drawing B, no matter you cancel it or not.

And these layers can't be removed because it contains objects in it. You can use "Show all used layers" in layer property manager to see which layers has objects in it, which you couldn't delete directly. But the fact is you cancel inserting the drawing so there is nothing to display for these layers.

At the same time, I do this test in AutoCAD 2011, and it's just the same result!

Anyway, I'll submit these problem to our R&D center to solve this problem. Sorry for any inconvenience!

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 13

Deleting Layers
I did some further test to this problem, and I found a temarory solution for it.

You can do PURGE command in your first drawing, remember to purge all item serveral times, until the Purge All button became disabled. Then go to layer property manager to delete those layers you don't need.

More tips:

If you drag a drawing into ZWCAD drawing area, it will be inserted as a block.

Ifyou drag a drawing onto the TITLE BAR or DRAWING TABS of ZWCAD, it will be opened as a seperate file.Daniel2010-08-24 15:07:41

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 13

Deleting Layers
Ah ... Drag onto the title bar. Hmmm. COOL.
That will be a suitable workaround..

Thanks again mate, you are an invaluable resource.

Kudos

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 13

Deleting Layers
You're welcome, Damo!Smile

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 13

Deleting Layers
Sadly I am still having trouble understanding how the layer manager works.
This next issue is a little different from the first post of this thread but, I thought here was as good a place as any to ask..

Sometimes, When I am trying to cleanup my drawings I will notice some layers that needn't be there.
(Either because I created them and no longer need them or they came with entities pasted from another dwg.)

When I try to delete them I get a warning stating

"1 of the 1 selected layers cannot be deleted.

The following layers cannot be deleted:

Layer 0 and Defpoints

The current layer

Xref-dependent layers

Layers containing objects."

That is understandable enough. What my problem is that, often the layer I
am trying to delete has none of the aforementioned criteria applicable.

Therefor I am unable to "clean" my dwg and remove unnecessary layers.
It would be better (imho) if the displayed warning was more specific as to why the layer will not be deleted

Please do not suggest purge, as it will remove all "unused"layers. sometimes I will want them to remain for future use.

Sometimes the layer I wish to delete will have objects on them and there
is no option (that I can see) to relocate them to a different layer at
the time of deletion. Or, just delete the layer AND the objects within.
Not without closing the layer manager and manually
moving all objects to another layer. Shocked

Often, these are the layers that will NOT delete...

I am probably just missing a fundamental point that I cannot see. Frustrating...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for My 2c.

Perhaps we could have an option in the layer manager that says something like: "The layer you are trying to delete has objects on it.
Do you wish to delete these objects or move them to another layer?"
With corresponding buttons (ie. Delete, Move, to choose from.)
Therefor LETTING the layer delete as the user would want instead of the user needing to fight the software.

Here is a pic of MUCH crappier software with MUCH easier options for this.

Sorry if I'm being a nuisance but I'm tying to get my head around this to make my life easier...

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 13

Deleting Layers
Damo,

Such a long post and such a good suggestion as well!

For this issue, I think I can offer you 2 more method to do what you want as a workaround.

The first way is using Layer Isolate, command: LAYISO. Menu: Express->Layer->Layer Isolate. Then select a object on the layer you want to delete and press enter, the layer will be isolated out and other layer will be turn off. Then just select them all and delete. Then switch to other layer as current layer from the dropdown menu of layer name. Then go to Layer Property Manager to delete the layer

The second way is similar. You can take this way if you don't know which object is on that layer. Right-click on the drawing area and select "Quick Select..." , object type as "Multiple", and Property as"Layer", equals to the layer you want to delete, then press ok, you will find all the objects on that layer has been selected, now you could choose to put them onto other layer or just delete them. After that you can delete this layer too.

I'm sorry these ways maybe troublesome but it really works now. So I think the suggestion you gave us is rather good and convenient for users to operate with DELETE layers. Thanks for that!

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 13

Deleting Layers
Daniel...
Very good. I especially like the "Layer Isolate". Nice. Clap I will be using that often. For several different reasons.
Secondly, the "Quick Select" method you described is almost what I was looking for (I notice it does for other types of entities also), and worked a treat ... Once.!
For some reason it will not do it again ?!?! I saved the drawing and closed the program.
Restarted ZW and the recover drawing dialog came up. My dwg is ok - No problems,
but it doesn't seem to allow me to re-create the same trick for a different layer.
I will persevere with it.
My Biggest issue is some layers simply don't have any entities on them (I confirmed this by turning every other layer off and have NOTHING showing on the screen) yet, refuse to be deleted.

Thanks for your advice mate. You are the Guru.

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 13

Deleting Layers
Damo,

I am so glad that you like these two features. Smile

For your first problem, I am not quite clear about the point, because everytime I used this function , save&close ZWCAD, then restart it, it just shows normal, and I can do it again. So would you please show me some more detail?

And for some layers you see nothing on it but refuse to be deleted, I think this may because it's the current layer.Just close the layer manager, turn to other layers as current, then go back to manager and delete it. If it is not the problem, I hope you can send me some sample drawings to verify this problem. Our technical mailbox is: tech@zwcad.com . Thanks in advance!

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 13

Deleting Layers

Damo,

I am so glad that you like these two features. Smile

For your first problem, I am not quite clear about the point, because everytime I used this function , save&close ZWCAD, then restart it, it just shows normal, and I can do it again. So would you please show me some more detail?

Ok Dan, I reckon I understand whats happening.
Firstly I wasn't trying to delete a current layer. (noob error.. Lol).
The quick select trick doesn't seem to work on layers with NO entities on them
and it doesn't seem to work on layers which are "turned off".
That said, I am still having issues deleting some layers.Confused
I tried renaming then deleting... No luck.
I put entities on a layer in question then did the quick select thing, and it worked.
I deleted all selected objects and then tried to delete the layer.. No luck.
When I copied some of the "undeletable" layers to another drawing, they deleted without issue.
Just not from the dwg I want to delete them from.
Must be something tying them there, cannot see what though.
It is not a problem really as far as the drawing goes, who really cares if there are 3 or 4 layers in there doing nothing,
showing nothing and having no actual effect on the drawing itself.?
When some drawings can have as many as 100 layers, or more.
It can get confusing and just a little annoying that I cannot seem to be able to delete (only some of) the ones I don't need.
To be fair, most times it is NO problem and layers will delete when required.
It's just a few in my current drawing, (which is at least a year old and originated on another software.)
I can open my OLD cad software and do it there. Would be nice to do all in one software.
We'll see what 2011 brings. As I think I'm eligible for the free upgrade being promoted at this year's end... Woot.!
Can you confirm this?

Damo2010-10-28 23:22:35

bertdorf3

Message 11 of 13

05-01-2011 02:39 . pm | View his/her posts only
Have you tried the command [laydel]
It deletes a layer whether there's something on it or not. Works for me.

Robert

OldForumPost

Message 12 of 13

Deleting Layers

[QUOTE=bertdorf3]Have you tried the command [laydel]
It deletes a layer whether there's something on it or not. Works for me.

Robert

Cheers mate. I did not know of this command.
Strangely, when I tried, it did not seem to work. I type laydel in the command line, then a small dialog box pops up to say Type or Undo..!?!
There is an option to select an object on the layer to delete it. But it would not let me select anything at all in modelspace.
Secondly, it suggest if I type the layers name to delete. Also to no avail.
Hmmmm, are you using the 2010 version as I am, or you got 2011.(or older)?

Actually I get around this issue by changing the layer's name by adding a short string of "nonsense" at the end of the layer's name, then delete the layer. (deletes any entities on that layer also) WORKS..!

OldForumPost

Message 13 of 13

Deleting Layers
Damo,

I think Robert really gave us a wonderful choice to solve the problem of layer deleting, actually its located in EXPRESS TOOLS which I seldom use. I tried on some simple drawings both in 2010 and 2011 version, and both work. Try the latest update patch of 2010(vernum=2010.08.30): http://download.zwcad.com/en/Special/20100830/Update/ZWCAD2010EngUpdate_830.msi

Regards and Happy new year.
See also