Dual Monitor Issue

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 6

Dual Monitor Issue
09-02-2011 05:24 . pm | View his/her posts only

G'day.
I am using ZWCAD version 2010.07.30(14725.422) with dual 24" LED monitors.
It does work fine (really well actually!!) but, I have one small issue. That is when I open the dialog window "Layer Properties Manager" it ALWAYS pops up in the exact centre of the two screens
and needs to be moved to one side a little to be read more easily...
No other dialog window (that I can tell so far) needs this. They all open exactly where the were last time they were closed. All except Layer Properties Manager. I can't seem to be able to "Dock" it onto a side or edge either.
My questions are....
Is it supposed to stay centred, and if so, Why?
Is there a fix for this? That can be applied by a patch or update without re-installing or purchasing a later version.

It is not really a problem as such. It just that when everything else is perfect, small issues REALLY become noticeably annoying.
Thanks...

Damo2011-02-09 17:46:43

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 6

Dual Monitor Issue
Hey Damo, long time no see, my friend!

I'm really glad to hear that you are so satisfied with ZWCAD, that gives us real confidence. Thanks for your support.

Regarding to your "small issue", I'm afraid it's just the way it should be. This kind of dialog box (seems it is called Pop-up Window, as I remember) always show up in the exact center of ZWCAD(its parent window). As I know, it is a common situation for most Windows-based program. It's actually a "Microsoft idea", hehe, we all use their definition about different kind of windows. So there is really nothing we can do.

So far I can tell, there are many other windows has the same "issue", such as OPTION, UNITS, LINETYPE, VIEWPORTS..., etc. They are all the same kind of window that "never" change their default position.

PS: I really agree your last words, that when everything else is perfect, small issues REALLY become noticeably annoying. I'm a Perfectionism man as well Approve

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 6

Dual Monitor Issue
Thanks Daniel.
As it happens you are correct about the linetype popup window. Hadn't noticed that.
Most (if not all others) will re-open where they were moved to. Even after program close/re-open.
All other popup windows that don't reopen where you left them (as I can see from what I used) will reset to the centre.
But, not absolute centre. They tend to be on the right side edge of the main (Left) display. Not straddling the break between the two screens...
ie, Viewports, Lineweight, Point Style, Dimension Style, Text Style, Colour, Layer States Manager.
Just seems to me a little odd that so many popup Windows have similar default behaviours, yet just a couple behave differently.
Purely an observation I hoped we could rectify, from a users point of view.

Curiosity demands I ask... Have/do you use dual monitors, Daniel?

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 6

Dual Monitor Issue
Ye, Damo, you got it, actually I never used dual monitors before, so I didn't quite understand why you are not satisified with this issue last time.
But now I see, you don't like this default position of popup windows because they will display in the center of two screen so they are broken, right?
As I tested, these popup windows are shown in the center of ZWCAD main window, so maybe you can justify your ZWCAD window size and position to make it not in the middle of two screen? so that it can be avoided, isn't it?

jemesright

Message 5 of 6

Dual Monitor Issue
I never actually turn off my monitors. I just have windows turn them
off after a certain period of time. I believe if the monitor doesn't
have a signal going to it it will somewhat shut off, like a suspend
mode. At least thats what my monitors seem to do. Cry

BryanS

Message 6 of 6

25-07-2011 09:32 . am | View his/her posts only
It may also be effected by video card settings, dual screens function differently depending on the software drivers (AMD vs Nvidia vs Intel).

I havent had much issue with zwcad on multiple monitors, most of our setups are 2x 22", mine is a 3x 22" screen setup. Then again, my use of the screens usually involves the main zwcad screen on one monitor, my icons and menus on the 2nd, and support software on the 3rd.

I am assuming you are full screening to 2 monitors? Do you have them set up as one large monitor in the driver software, or as individual screens? If you are running factory software meant for multi screen setups, then look for menu popup settings. If you aren't, dont install, dont fix what isnt broken.

See also