CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > STL to flat point file converter

STL to flat point file converter

Doc

Message 1 of 6

STL to flat point file converter
13-08-2003 02:46 . pm | View his/her posts only
One on my pcr's wanted to import just the vertices from an STL file. So I've written a converter. Since we're just extracting the vertices, each vertex is generally in more than one facet. Hence, I've added a thinning tolerance. It is used to determine if a vertex has been added to the output list already. So, you can thin the data out at this point or put in 0.01 and thin the data after you import the point list into VX.

Robert

Message 2 of 6

25-08-2003 12:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
Will this ever be built into VX?

Doc

Message 3 of 6

25-08-2003 01:23 . pm | View his/her posts only
sort of. for version 9 we're going to convert an stl import into a surface through the FEM stuff. Near future: allow the use to help in building the edges of the faces during this process.

Kyonghun

Message 4 of 6

01-10-2003 01:27 . am | View his/her posts only
Well, STL data ->Unique vertices ->NURBS surface works now, sort of. As long as an imported STL data "block" only represents a single surface each, we can generate developable NURBS from it (This statement is actually not 100% accurate, but close enough.)...Not entirely a general purpose tool, yet, but a good start nonetheless.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

04-12-2003 05:40 . am | View his/her posts only
That is very interesting. Is it possible to use the STL format to describe one surface, rather than a whole solid? If so, can we convert a Point Cloud to an STL?

Kyonghun

Message 6 of 6

04-12-2003 09:03 . am | View his/her posts only
To answer the first question, yes it seems to be possible. VX can export any given surface to STL format and it looks like others can, too. For instance, I have seen a lot of exported STL rep, for molds or such, that consist of single surface (no stock attched yet). Another possibility is to use a STL rep editor.

Also, to be more accurate, it does not have to be literal "single" surface, but if more than one, all surfaces need to be projectable to a single continuous surface.

As to your 2nd question.. Well, that is essentially a "point cloud data tessellation" routine. Which is pretty much the bread and butter for most specialized "reverse engineering" packages. I hear it is usually very hard to implement. But hey, with VX you never know when you might see something like that

Technically, you can take the point cloud, fit a well-fitting surface, and export it back to STL rep. But I don't think you meant that...
See also