CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > New release suggestion

New release suggestion

Paul

Message 1 of 6

New release suggestion
16-03-2004 12:21 . pm | View his/her posts only
As of recently I understand that VX is putting more stringent testing into their product releases.

I applaud this, as it can be a nightmare to have something work correctly in one release, only to have it fail in the next release.

I also understand that new features get added between dot releases.

Of primary interest to me as a user is that everything just works. If everything does not work (such as the views in 9.2), then my primary concern is that the next release comes out quickly with bug fixes.

Perhaps the introduction of new features increases the amount of bugs that get introduced. If this is the case would eliminating new features in dot releases speed up the release process?

Robert

Message 2 of 6

16-03-2004 12:37 . pm | View his/her posts only
Actually, dot releases are only supposed to contain bug fixes no enhancements.

Oh well...

Paul

Message 3 of 6

29-03-2004 04:50 . pm | View his/her posts only
I don't know if the dot level release enhancements are what introduces bugs that once were fixed, but it's very frustrating to need to go back and forth between versions and not being able to reaccess a file once it has been saved in the newer version. Wouldn't it be true that if no enhancements were introduced that there would be backward compability?

I have to plot and do drawings in 9.31 and do my models in 9.2

For a week I've done well to not save a part in 9.31, but today I accidentally hit save. Now I can not get back into 9.2 which is able to solid fillet my model. Because of this I've lost my entire history tree until the next release comes out. What grinds me is that I know that the next release will follow a lengthy QA testing which might not be as necessary if there were no more enhancements introduced.

If everything worked right I could care less in what the procedure was. I just hate going backwards.

Paul

Message 4 of 6

29-03-2004 04:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
By the way, what is that ridiculous Part Solution tab under Utilities/Configuration. VX is not compatible a dot release back, much less one or 2 number versions back.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

29-03-2004 07:46 . pm | View his/her posts only
Part Solutions is a huge database of standard and Supplier-catalog components. VX can receive solid models and 2D drawings from the PS database, intelligently. To do so, it needs to know which Part Solutions version you have available, v7 or v8 http://www.part-solutions.com/

Paul

Message 6 of 6

30-03-2004 10:01 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks for your explanation of what Part Solutions actually is. I've had the wrong idea about what it was for quite a while.

See also