CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Keeping users up to date on bugs

Keeping users up to date on bugs

Kevin

Message 1 of 9

Keeping users up to date on bugs
21-05-2004 07:06 . am | View his/her posts only
I'm really getting into the VX way of working now as a new user but when I tried a test file comparing patterning in VX 9.3.1 against that in SolidWorks at a customer site today (having read the release on the VX website) I crashed and burned. Turns out there is a bug in 9.3.1 that crashes VX when using patterning. It is fixed in the latest release (not downloaded it yet) apparently.

Perhaps the VX development team could use this Forum as a site to post links to patches or new versions for download every time a new version is release or a serious bug is found. If we check the forum daily this will be highlighted and we can avoid the issue, work around it or update the software.

How about it?

But maybe just a word of warning for the future though - if you release a press release saying how fantastic the new patterning is please make sure it does what it says on the box in all released versions in use now. My SolidWorks using customer laughed his socks off when VX crashed and burned every time......so I'm looking forward to wiping the smile from his face after I've updated!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 9

21-05-2004 02:42 . pm | View his/her posts only
Sorry to hear you got hit by that bug. Warnings about serious problems of this kind are posted on the support web page - right up-front where they belong

You wrote "if you release a press release saying how fantastic the new patterning is please make sure it does what it says on the box in all released versions in use now." That is not possible really - the whole point of bringing out incremental releases is to correct problems swiftly, and the patterning is new functionality that is not available in earlier releases anyway. The PR features VX v9.51 by the way . It is up to the VX Resellers and AE's to make sure that their VX customers have the latest release applicable to their use. When a new update is ready, everybody involved is e-mailed by Mike Lynch. VX Corp is constantly issuing genuinely useful updates, as quickly as possible. As a genre, these days SW Users are not such a very happy bunch you know. I think it is because the software has been overtaken by the demands of the modern market. VX on the other hand is right there challenging the boundaries of what is possible. If he/she wanted to, your SW customer could have shown you a lot of problems in SolidWorks. Would have taken some time though because SW is a bit sloooow . The fact is, all software has bugs. Nobody wants them. The VX team works very hard indeed to track ours down and we use an efficient reporting/progress system. Some bugs are complex and require a good deal of time to fix, but the response time overall is outstanding, the VX development team are the bees knees there without a shadow of a doubt.

For sure, there will be times when VX lets you down - but these occasions are rare. VX AE's may sometimes go "off the beaten path" answering prospects' questions, exploring the possibilities in VX, because they are confident in the software's capability -whereas the guys demonstrating other MCAD always have to stick rigidly to a well-rehearsed demo. By the way, when VX crashed on that patterning, look how well it recovered the data file!

Kevin

Message 3 of 9

22-05-2004 09:35 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

As a veteran SW user you don't need to tell me about bugs in SW :-)

Ditto (but more so I have to say) for ThinkDesign

I like the dynamic repsonse of the VX team, but my point is that as an end user as opposed to a VAR I wasn't aware of the bug until it hit. It would be good to have access to a web area where I can review all the latest issues to see how they affect me and download the latest files. I know the VARs can get to this but us li'l o'l users don't get to play there

Returning to SW as an example, on their support site everybody paying subscription has access to a download area for critical patches and also other useful stuff like parts and demos. MAybe VX need to open up a cut down VAR site for us users to check as well?

As it happens I'm getting the 9.5 CD on Monday so I'm pleased with the response so guys don't take this as a criticism but more of an observation and suggestion to keep the already good customer support well ahead of the pack.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 9

22-05-2004 05:01 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi again

So far as I am aware, customers that have access to this forum have access to the main VX support page too - you can get to the Forum etc via the support page:

http://support.vx.com/customers/

Also on the main support page is a link to the kind of "alerts about software problems" that you require. The link is called "Hot Tips and Critical Issues" and takes you to:

http://support.vx.com/customers/tips/

The main support page is the place to go for the latest release too (patches are not often issued, a properly compiled release is safer). There is also a link to the new
VX DAL (Design Automation Language) macros library, which offers a variety of programs to make life easier. We encourage all Users to write their own macros and
share them with the rest of the VX community:

http://support.vx.com/customers/macros/index.cfm

If you cannot access these facilities, ask your Reseller to do so for you. Hope this helps

Kevin

Message 5 of 9

23-05-2004 07:12 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the links Chris. Only problem is that this is the area that I was told I couldn't access as it was only available to North American customers and VARs (by email by Mike Lynch). So how about it guys, let us users over here get access to the critical updates pages at least. For support I'll always go through the UK VAR...honest

Kevin

Message 6 of 9

25-05-2004 05:32 . am | View his/her posts only
Got the 9.51 CD yesterday and now patterning works....really well - a 50x50 hole array into a complex curved solid in 6 seconds!! I'm seeing my SW using customer on Thursday again....payback time

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 9

26-05-2004 01:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
.....no contest really, even the VX mousemat is better quality

Mike

Message 8 of 9

26-05-2004 03:33 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hey 3dmonkey, Because VX is young and flexable we have listened to customers like yourself and made changes to the infrastructure that has been in place for a while. VX Support decided to take a pro-active approach to how we deal with bugs and you the customer.

We recently added the Tips and Critical Issues links.

We had this forum as an in-house tool for a year or so; a descision was made to open it up to all customers. It continues to grow on a daily basis. "We still need more involvment." hint, hint!

In the next few days we will be opening up the VX Support web site to all customers. You will have access to current versions of software for download, a library of VX Design Automation tools (Macros) (There is some pretty cool stuff here. No sense keeping it to ourselves), a file access area where you can send files for your support person to look at and vice versa.

If you come across anything that looks like a show stopper in the software and it is not listed in the "Critical Issues" area, please send an email to support@vx.com and I will make sure it is added. We are always going to have bugs but if you know about them ahead of time we can keep "blood pressure in check."

Kevin

Message 9 of 9

27-05-2004 04:44 . am | View his/her posts only
Great news Mike! Now thats the sort of response I like in a software company! After dealing with Think3 and SolidWorks for years it makes a pleasant change

As I use VX more and more now I'll be sure to point out any issues that arise.

And BTW my SolidWorks using customer ain't smiling anymore

I really must change that username....3Dmonkey is what I used to be.....
See also