CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Technology previews for customers

Technology previews for customers

Kevin

Message 1 of 13

Technology previews for customers
30-07-2004 04:32 . am | View his/her posts only
Following on from another thread about features in forthcoming releases I just found out that demos are being done for new customers showing v10 betas. Do you think it would be worthwhile for VX to run a series of "technology previews" for forthcoming version features on WebEx to get additional customer feedback? I'm thinking of features like morphing and other things that could really make a huge difference to the way we use the app. Previews could be short and focussed on specific issues. I know when I used ThinkDesign they ran a series of seminars called "Fireside Chats" that showed forthcoming technologies and interface concepts. As a result of these I know several features were changed or implemented thanks to user input.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 13

10-10-2004 05:40 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

I like the sound of "fireside chats", but it does not seem to have been enough to save Think3 Seriously, VX is already strongly influenced by the Technical Teams at all the Resellers around the world (and they pull no punches I assure you!). These experts are time-served engineers and designers so they can offer a valuable opinion on interface matters etc, fairly early on. They are the closest to the VX Users too, and pass on good User suggestions via the VX PCR system. It is often the case that we do not wish to expose all forthcoming enhancements to the outside world because we do not want our ideas to be stolen by our competitors. By the time a late Beta is demonstrated at an exhibition or roadshow, it is very close to being released.

Paul

Message 3 of 13

11-10-2004 12:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
As a former user of Think3 I can say that they had some very good ideas. We sat in on several user learning forums. (before the fireside chats started) I also liked where users could submit ideas, in which others could vote. Theoretically at least the ideas that gathered the most interest would be implimented into an upcoming release.

Think3 had an easy interface to use, and easy shapes could be made very quickly, however the software fell apart at the seams when it came to complex shapes.

As a VX user I think that it would be nice to discuss future implimentation into the software. Presently I think that VX has a finger on the pulse of what is important as a CAD system, but I worry that there may come a day when VX will sacrifice stability for inovation. (as Think3 did).

Presently I've heard reports that Power Shape has some good surface/solid functions that may exceed VX. The bottom line in the business that I work in is that deadlines constantly get closer. When surface/solid operations fail in VX, it is necessary to patch things curve by curve, surface by surface.

VX has probably made our modeling work 25% faster than Think3, but VX still needs to be quite mindful of the functionality that customers will require now and in the future.

Kevin

Message 4 of 13

11-10-2004 01:22 . pm | View his/her posts only
Good points there. Think 3 blew it in the UK by not supporting it. As you said it is a very complex app once you get beyond the basics....and as for shelling!!! Ever notice that all the demos for Global Shape Modelling were on imported geometry? The problem is for all systems, complex geometry IS difficult to understand and produce. For me the key to all 3D software is interface. Ever seen SketchUp? OK its for Architects but its a great example of simple interface. Similarly, that classic product Vellum 3D from Ashlar had (and in my opinion still does) the best interface for creating 3D wireframe - which is the start point for all surfaces.

As well as VX I use Ashlar Cobalt. I use VX less than Cobalt at the moment because Cobalt is much easier to use....but when I hit the wall, I switch to VX and it takes over. Sometimes I use just Cobalt, sometimes just VX - depends on the job.

Every 3D app is easy to get into these days. The tricky part is how easy is it to create a complex SUBTLE surface with curvature continuity to adjacent surfaces AND be sure you can 1) create an STL file, B) get the part machined/tool made. THAT's the hard part!

For me VX is nearly there. It just falls flat in the ease of use stakes for "designer" areas like rendering and early conceptual work. MAybe this could be an area for focus in the future?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 13

11-10-2004 02:02 . pm | View his/her posts only

Hi Paulverisor.

One of the main reasons that VX CAD actually exists are the busy designers whose attention needs to be more concentrated on the task in hand, rather than on the tool that they are using to define it. When I first tried VX (the very first version!) I defined a component that had taken me just over three days to finalise using Catia. Catia could not complete the model, could not parametise all the features nor indeed produce a satisfactory 2D layout automatically either (this in the hands of a very experienced Catia User). Since I'd had such a hard time trying to squeeze enough data out of Catia to get a (hand-made) prototype manufactured, I could remember all of the key dimensions required (No disrespect intended, Catia is a fine product).

Well, it took me only a few hours or so to produce the complete model in VX, including all the geometry that Catia couldn't handle. The 2D views layed out automatically in about 10 minutes, which astounded me at the time. (VX is much faster now!).

It is fair to say that PowerShape is a big improvement over the original product "Duct", and undoubtedly does have some good features - it is strong on wizards. However, your informant must have been bamboozled by the PowerShape hype. Overall, it is not as good as Catia, and neither of them are anywhere near as good as the early versions of VX, never mind v10! The VX combination of parametric, totally hybrid yet object oriented modelling is sublime. The freeform surfacing includes many unique capabilities and produces the highest quality topology. Unlike PowerShape, everything can be parametrically controlled and all features are recorded and can be manipulated within the History Manager, without compromise.

There are two things I have lost count of over the past few years (well three, the grey hair is making a rapid take over) - the number of people that have told me how they hate using products XYZ, and the number of people that have taken the time to tell me how much they love using VX.

VX Corp is keeping it's ear to the ground, a lot of the recently added functionality has been born out of customer requests. Of course, the industry is huge, and many people find it difficult to figure out what software would be best for them. Should anybody ask - the answer is "VX of course!"

Steve

Message 6 of 13

19-10-2004 02:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
I am a new VX user. And a current PowerShape user. Where PowerShape falls apart, is switching from solids and surfaces, and back again. You lose your history. All of it. It's just a dumb solid. Like say for instance, the solid filleting fails(which it does on occasion), but it will ALWAYS work with surfaces. Well, as soon as you switch back to surfaces, all your parametric features are gone for good.

Another place where PowerShape fails is in the assembies. As soon as you get A LOT of objects in the assembly, it chokes. I recently did a 32 cavity mold, which had 212 EJ pins. PowerShape couldn't completely finish the design because it would choke. The filesize became over 650 Meg. It choked on a 2.8GHZ P4 with 2 gig of ram.. Another place where PowerShape was weak, was 2D prints. Good luck exporting any prints to anyone else. This was one of my major complaints. And, to export any prints, you first had to "convert" a view to a drawing. Guess what that meant? You lose your association. So that feature you just changed wont get updated in the prints.

BUT, where PowerShape *REALLY* shines, Like Chris said, is it's Wizards. The Electrode Wizard is 2nd to none IMHO. It creates outstanding reports for the EDM operator and the Graphite machinist. I really can't say enough GOOD things about that Wizard.

Also the wizards for placing EJ pins is absolutely outstanding. It places the pins in the plate, adds all the correct/configurable clearance holes in all the effected plates.

I"d *REALLY* like to see VX achieve this sort of functionality in the future, and would be willing to help them with feedback/tips. ANYTHING to get that type of functionality into a tool that's stable like VX.

I also think that PowerShape's GUI is superior to VX, but that may just be because I am more familiar with PowerShape.

Okay, I'm off my SoapBox now

Robert

Message 7 of 13

22-10-2004 10:00 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve,

thanks for the information.

We're looking to implement some wizardry within VX11 (especially for electrodes).

Stay tuned.

bobf

Steve

Message 8 of 13

22-10-2004 01:02 . pm | View his/her posts only
Bob,
Here's what I'd *REALLY* like to see added to V11

1.) Being able to place a datum exactly center of a selected object, or group of objects.
2.) Electrode Wizard, with similar documentation, and functionality of Delcams.
3.) Smart Placement of Ejector Pins in a selectable plate.
4.) Wizard for creating the proper cuts for the EJ pins that have been placed. With the land length based from offset of detail(NOT bottom of B inser/block).

I sure don't want much, now do I?

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 13

24-10-2004 02:38 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi to all!

I'm new in this forum. I look for same things like SteveMckay. If you can solve this... this will be great help for me ...
Delcam have also wizard wich help you choose mold plate depend on part size. Not a big thing but such wizards make work more flowing and enjoying and help first time users to get more familiar with sofware... and quicker use.
I have found in older threads message from SoCalSwami_ with mould maker macro (April 30, 2003) but without link. Is possible to get this macro.

Yes, I know. My english is... but I hope You know what is my wish.

Lep pozdrav

Bojan

Robert

Message 10 of 13

25-10-2004 10:43 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Bojan,

Not that it matters, but I'm curious as to where you're located. Are you really somewhere in the Baltics?

If you're shy, answer to my work email: bobf@vx.com

Thanks

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 13

25-10-2004 11:38 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Bob,

I'm from Kranj, Slovenia. Far away from Baltic. About 100 km from Venezia, about 400 km from Wien, about 400 km from Muenchen.....

This is about my location. Can you help me about mold maker macro?

Lep pozdrav

Bojan

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 13

25-10-2004 01:00 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Bojan

That macro will need to be brought up to date for use with new VX 10, things have changed a lot since the time it was written.

However, in the mean time, you can use the "Stock" command to automatically enclose your Part Object with a Block. The command initially produces a "perfect fit" size, you can then easily modify the size to a standard plate if you wish via the Options Panel.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 13 of 13

26-10-2004 04:33 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

Datum Plane at Center of Solid model.

I have uploaded a VX DAL program to the downloads library:

Free Downloads

See also