CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD Tutorial & Tips > On which layers should you create blocks?

On which layers should you create blocks?

guigol

Message 1 of 4

On which layers should you create blocks?
17-07-2012 01:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
When you create blocks (also called symbols) to insert into a drawing, you need to consider what layer to use for the components that make up the blocks.

MKKCAD

Message 2 of 4

17-07-2012 01:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
On any layer (except 0): color, linetype & lineweight set to ByLayer Block keeps properties of that layer.
ZWCAD creates the layerif necessary when you insert it into another drawing. If the layer exists in the
drawing but has other properties, the block takes on the properties of the layer in that drawing. If you
insert the block on a different layer, it keeps its original properties, but is reported (in Properties
window) as being on the insertion layer.
On any layer (including 0); color, linetype & lineweight set explicitly: Block keeps color, linetype &

lineweight that were set. ZWCAD creates the layer if necessary when you insert it into another drawing.
On any layer (except 0); color & linetype set to ByBlock Block: takes on the layer and properties of

current layer. ZWCAD creates the layer as necessary when you insert it into another drawing.
On layer 0; color, linetype & lineweight set to ByLayer or ByBlock:
Block takes on the layer and
properties of the current layer.
No new layers are created.

RobDraw

Message 3 of 4

17-07-2012 02:52 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by RobDraw at 2012-7-17 15:12

Hello, I am creating custom blocks to create a versatile office wide palette. How can I utilize the second choice this post mentions? For example, I need to make a block that will always be placed onto a layer called "Layer A". This block has a specific linetype, color, and weight. Please help me out! ZWCAD is driving me nuts and driving me away from engineering!

MKKCAD

Message 4 of 4

17-07-2012 03:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
It's few step to get it done via this way:
Step One:
You could put your block to the Tool Palettes, right click it to set it's properties.

Step Two:
set it's layer as "Layer-A".

May this will help you out! Please note that, it's only available in the ZWCAD+ with NEW CORE. Not be supported in ZWCAD 2012.You can download here:
http://www.zwsoft.com/zwcad+/
See also