CAD software discussion forum > CAD > Numerous annoying and strange bugs/behaviours

Numerous annoying and strange bugs/behaviours

Filip

Message 1 of 14

Numerous annoying and strange bugs/behaviours
11-08-2012 07:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello,

Why isn't ctrl+c copy, ctrl+v paste, ctrl+z undo and so on? Is this an issue just for me or everyone?
EDIT: Reinstall solved this problem :). Don't know what the problem was. Probably something went wrong when editing zwcad.mns and zwcad.mnu when creating custom menus the first time.

Why is in Options, Selection, Area selection setting disabled? "When a command is active" and "When no command is active" is grayed out and can't be enabled.

Why doesn't the Layer Properties Manager remember his size on screen? I resize it to desired size so I can see all layer names and when I close and opet it it resizes back to small.
Is there any way to solve this by editing some files?

It would be good if the Layer Properties manages showed lineweight "directly", like in the drop down lineweight menu. That is present in Autocad since ever, and it really helps. Now, you can't see in a moment what layer has lineweight of 0.00-0.30, 0.30, 0.50 if you don't read lineweights because all icon-lines are shown with same thickness.

The Edit text command (or double click on a single line text) acts "stupid". When a text is double clicked, it is grayed out (selected) and can be edited, but if you would like to edit just a segment of the text line, you must select it. That's where the "stupid" part comes, you can't select text if you don't click with mouse somewhere in text and then hold click and move mouse directly in text direction (above text). That's annoying, because some practice is that you click and move mouse somewhere left or right, up or down, and text is selected in that direction. Hovering mouse directly over text is tiring and annoying, please fix that. It was OK in Zwcad 2012.

Opening the plot dialog, Zwcad+ creates an empty layer called "Defpoints", which can be deleted after, but of course comes back on another plot. It should be created when dimensioning is used, without dimensions it is more than useless and it just takes place :).
This is more a question:

I noticed that zwcad+ writes down the dwg attribute "last saved by" by the computer username. I don't like that at all. Is there any registry key or something else I can change so zwcad doesn't write that attribute for files? Autocad 2006, that I used before, wrote only "Autodesk" in the Last saved by, and other computer programs like Word (Office) or Acrobat asks the user for desired username to write in "Last saved by", so it will be good to give the oportunity to the user if he likes that attribute written or not.
VERNUM = "2012.07.26(4366)" (read only)

This all worked well in Zwcad 2012.

Thanks

Daniel

Message 2 of 14

13-08-2012 05:38 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello, here are my answers to all your concerns:

1. Option - "When a command is active" and "When no command is active" is grayed out and can't be enabled.

These two options are defined by the system variable SELECTIONPREVIEW, which is not supported in ZWCAD+ yet, will be added in future version.

2.Layer Properties dialog box cannot remember the size and position of last time. It's kind of annoying sometimes, I have reported this problem for fixing

3.I'm not quite understand your point. Actually, in ZWCAD+ Layer Properties, the lineweight value IS directly shown in the Lineweight column(exactly like AutoCAD 2013)

4.I am not sure I get the exact point, but I guess: when select a period of text in ZWCAD+, you must keep your mouse exactly in the text frame. But in ZWCAD 2012, once you start selecting, your mouse can leave the text frame and it still works fine. Is that right?

5.The Defpoint layer. Well, it's a trivia problem, and I will report it. But I think it's not quite harmful, so currently you can just "ignore" it :)

6.I check several software, ZWCAD+, ZWCAD 2012, AutoCAD 2013, Microsoft Word&Powerpoint, they all automatically record the Last Saved By attribute into files with the current user of computer(Microsoft never asked me whether I'd like to put it in).

Filip

Message 3 of 14

13-08-2012 06:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by filipv8882 at 2012-8-13 18:22

1. OK, i'm looking forward to see it soon :)

2. OK :)

3. Yes, it is, but the icon (line) got the same thickness for a wide scope of lineweights. It's standard that line thickness starts to change on lineweight of 0.30mm, and on Zwcad+ it changes on 0.90+ mm, which is a lot. Here is a picture of Zwcad+ 2012 and Autocad 2006. I don't know what it's like in Zwcad 2012, haven't got it on this computer. On the drop down menu (on toolbar), thickness starts to change on 0.30mm+, and that's OK.

4. Yes, that's right. It's annoying and hard to use. It's partly OK when text is horizontal, but if it is on an angle it's hard to select it.

5. OK, thanks :D. I'm maybe weird, but I don't like useless empty layers in my drawings, hehe :D

6. Yes, you are right. Microsoft Word & Powerpoint (Office package) has an option to enter your User name and intials (In office 2010 it is File, Options, General). Word or any other office application uses that value to set the "last saved by", and it would be great if zwcad+ would have such option, because computer username isn't everytime username of the computer operator. This isn't a bug, more of a request :)

Daniel

Message 4 of 14

14-08-2012 09:27 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks, I've got all your points.

You're really a great "Tester":D

Filip

Message 5 of 14

15-08-2012 04:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Why tester in quote marks, should that be an insult? :D:D:D

There wouldn't be a new updated release (after 4366) till september?

Sometimes, after work in Zwcad+, on exit some error (Windows screen with OK button) shows. Is there any way to track it and see what causes it?

Daniel

Message 6 of 14

15-08-2012 05:43 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hehe, in quote marks just mean you are not a real tester as your job(I suppose?), but you are even better than them in finding bugs. No insult at all, of course :)

And yes, next update will be in September.

Well, I have met such problem before, it was in some earlier release, but it stopped appearing that kind of prompt for quite a long time. I have no idea about how to track this either, but I will contact the engineers to see what we can do.

Filip

Message 7 of 14

15-08-2012 05:56 . pm | View his/her posts only
:) Yes, i'm just a simple user in surveying, so I use only 2D, and I'm happy that you want to hear our sugestions and bug reports and make software better.

I hope that the update will be free and would solve many problems. I will wait then for the next update before I update all my computers from Zwcad 2012 to Zwcad+ 2012 so I don't have to set up all my custom menus and toolbars twice.

I don't know what triggers that problem, but I believe it's something like "memory could not be "read"". I have a reflex move to dismiss the error windows without reading them, but I will pay attention next time. I believe that, when this happens, Zwcad+ doesn't know what the last open drawing was and maybe some other things from the last session, so it could be something wrong with the shutdown routine, maybe some timeout is to short.

Daniel

Message 8 of 14

16-08-2012 09:20 . am | View his/her posts only
Ok, maybe you can tell me some information of your system, and if it happens next time, make a screen shot

And the update will be free...if you have already paid for ZWCAD+

Filip

Message 9 of 14

16-08-2012 05:32 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by filipv8882 at 2012-8-16 18:05

Hello, it happens when I work for some time and open more drawings. I can't figure it out how to reproduce it, but I will try.

The system is a 32bit Windows XP Sp3.

Another thing that needs some tuning: :)
Layer properties manager
linetype and lineweight, when you double click it, the select linetype/lineweight pop-up menu will show, and then when you double click some desired linetype/lineweight the pop-up would not be dismissed, you must click OK instead. It creeps me out :D Would be great if you implemented that feature in next update :).

Now something marginal and minor:
It seems that Zwcad can't remember which printer was last used, after restart. In my opinion, that's no bug that needs a (quick) fix, but when I noticed it...

So, print something to some printer (I have 4 printers, virtual printer and some .pc5) and then go to plot, page setup, name: Previous plot and everything is there like it was the plot before. Now exit Zwcad+ and open it again, open the same drawing, choose "previous plot" and then zwcad+ chooses Pdfcreator as printer (not previously used) and scale 1: 0.5 (not previously used).

Pdfcreator is not system's default printer, nor Zwcad+'s default output device, so I don't know from where it gets it every time.

Pdfcreator as printer name is from registry key "Cfg Name", but I would like to know from where it gets the scale, I would like to set it to 1:1 for every previous plot. EDIT: I got it, it's the "Print scale denominator" key.

I have a Zwcad+ 2012 Pro licence, so I guess it would be free :).

Daniel

Message 10 of 14

17-08-2012 10:23 . am | View his/her posts only
First thing first, crash issue is the most important.Did this error happens when you close ZWCAD+? or just when you open many drawings? How many exactly?

About the previous plot problem, I have two guessing: 1. your user account do not have enough authority to override the value of registry, so it keeps the same every time. 2.your ZWCAD+ close itself unexpectedly(crash), so the new value is not remembered in the registry.

Filip

Message 11 of 14

17-08-2012 03:03 . pm | View his/her posts only
1. Yes - that's what I'm trying to find out. I don't know what causes it, I only know that it happens after longer working with many drawings. I will try to look for a reason to crash, remember what I did and see if it throws error.

So, I close Zwcad+ and after 1-2 seconds the error sound comes and the error screen is there, I dismiss it and that's it. It never happened when I opened it, made a little correction on drawing, printed it...

2. Nope, Zwcad+ can write to those values, when they are empty. I tried that, do it can't be an issue of user rights (i'm the administrator). If that doesn't happen to others, maybe it's really an isolated problem.

Filip

Message 12 of 14

07-09-2012 05:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello,

thanks for bringing out the new update and thanks for solving the layer properties lineweight icon problem.

You haven't solved that annoying layer properties windows resize problem, and that major issue where rasters print resized on the paper if they aren't printed whole.
Hope that a new update will come soon.

In that new version you introduced some new bugs.
Area effect setting/Area selection preview can't be disabled in options, when you disable it, it enables itself on the next run. I made a lisp with areaselection 0 in autorun to solve this permanently.

The area selection preview is a good option, but in the newest version you added back the option where it previews what you do on "area" option. Area option with area selection preview acts strange, osnap icons sometimes don't appear or appear wrong, so i disabled it. Maybe that's an issue just for me.

The plot - previous plot doesn't remember all the options from previous plot. Like: I made a first plot with the new version and "lineweight plot" was off, and no matter how much ploting I did with "lineweight plot" on it would go off again on Zwcad+ restart. I had to do some regediting to solve this.

Just a curious question: Why is in the default zwcadiso.dwt the global scale factor in Linetype Manager set to 15.0000? Is that so in the newest Autocad or a Zwcad inheritance? Has it got some practical value?

Thanks

Daniel

Message 13 of 14

07-09-2012 06:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thank your for the detail test. We always appreciate.

About those old problems, they do in our Bug Library waiting for fixing, but since there are too many, there will always be some of them not included, please understand :) But finally they will be corrected.

The Area effect setting and Area preview snap icon lost problem are true, I will report them.

The global scale (Variable LTSCALE) is really interesting, I will confirm it first then get back to you

Filip

Message 14 of 14

21-09-2012 01:45 . am | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by filipv8882 at 2012-9-21 01:47

Hello,

are there any news about a new updated version? :)

I deinstalled Autocad 2006 and other CAD programs and I'm using only Zwcad+ 2012 now, and I must say that it's now a really fair piece of software (or good when you tweak it a little with custom menus and some options disabled :) ) There are bugs that need to be solved, but nothing that would turn me from using it. It's good that a lot of options are open for tweaking from registry so some strange bugs can be solved that way.
See also