CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Machine tempates for cam plans

Machine tempates for cam plans

cutter

Message 1 of 6

Machine tempates for cam plans
13-01-2005 02:25 . am | View his/her posts only
I had a tough time finding a decent description of a machine template "how to" in the manuals so here is my version of how to do this. Create machine cam template. V10.51 and I assume any other v10 # after this.

1 Open program files, then open vx user and create new folder labeled local.

2 Then go to vx 10.51, open resource file and copy file templates vx to local folder in vx user.
3 Open vx program, open an existing part file, go to objects level. On rt side menu left mouse click copy once, then left click a cam plan once, middle click to accept. On rt side menu left click paste and new cam plan will appear. It will be the same name as the copied plan with 1 added to it. At this time rename the cam plan to your machines name. Mine is now haas vf3 for example. Save file.
4 In object level open newly created cam plan. Delete all operations, frames, tools etc. Rt click machine, then lt click manage. Fill in various parameters for your machine and the posts you want to use. For example I used vx post for post processor and vx haas for config num. Save file
5 Go to objects level, mouse over your new saved machine cam plan, with cursor still over selected cam plan rt click, then left click copy. You should now see 1 objects copied to clipboard up above.
6 Now open vx user again, open local folder, and right click in screen to bring up a menu, left click paste and this will insert your new machine cam plan into the templates vx folder.

7 When you next open a new cam plan you should see that your new machine cam plan is in the templates section and you should left click on it to accept it into your new cam plan. You will still of course have to enter in the tools for your cam plans and assign positions for the tools.
8 Assign a tool to your cam plan as you need. This only assigns a tool to a specific cam operation and you still need to get the tool assigned to a spot on your machine. To enter this tool into the changer go to machine in the cam plan, rt click and then left click edit in the popup menu. The machine manager will pop up in the screen at this time and then left click the tool changer section. Machine tool changer will popup and in this you will left click add. This will bring up a small popup called available tools & qty with the tools you have entered into the cam plan in the window. Select, that is left click on and highlight the first tool you wish to use and enter 1 in for station. Unless you are going to use this same tool and toolholder in a central supply carosel that feeds two or more machines with common tools you will always enter into D register and H register the same number you entered into for station. Left click OK and you will see the tool entered in the Machine Tool Changer screen. You may of course put them in any order here according to how you intend to run your
mill.

Under the cute little tips category. Have you ever tried to get a sketch to extrude endlessly seeking for what you did wrong and never succeed? In sketch mode if you go up to Inquire at the top toolbar you can left click here and in the drop down menu you will see show gaps. This magical item not to be found in your manuals will show you where your sketch geometry does not tie in together properly preventing extrusion and give an indication as to the problem. Now for as to how you fix it I have yet to get consistent results in my attempts to do so and maybe someone else will have some tips on how to correct bad geometry in sketches. It seems that when I zoom in close enough I cant even get a point to go on the line to create corrective geometry and I am still left with a small but extrude preventing gap. Anybody have tips on how to make the trim and extend stuff work on the Basic toolbar I would sure love to hear how you did it. Dave Ault

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 6

13-01-2005 09:21 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Cutter,

I just saw your message and have not fully digested it yet but I think that you may be missing some of the capability of the templates. I have another project to finish but will try to make a webex recording that I will attach to a later thread.

Also, you should send an email to support@vx.com to ask about fixing gaps/bad geometry in sketch mode. I'm sure that they'll give you some good advice.

Cheers,
Vic Baker (Sales App. Eng.)

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 6

17-01-2005 08:52 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello cutter

Sorry you have had so much difficulty with Object Templates. It is really a very simple procedure in VX as I'm sure britvic's movie will show.

Regarding the Sketcher Tool "Show Gaps", just type "Show Gaps" in the search box of the built-in help to find it. The geometry you have problems with sounds like it has been imported. The potential errors found could well be entities on top of entities - not identical, but overlapping. We often see this sort of thing from dwg/dxf files where the User has been a little lazy and has not ensured that the geometry is well defined. Try blanking a curve/line in the suspect region, then a refresh.

The trim tools are very similar to those found in virtually every CAD program, they are easy to use and completely robust. If the geometry itself is as I suspect, this would be the reason why the trimming appears not to work - a just trimmed entity hidden by another entity.

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 6

20-01-2005 01:35 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi cutter,

Here is the webex recording on how to create templates. I'm not sure if it will achieve all that you want to do and I take a slightly different approach to other people in some areas.

Feel free to email me (vicb@vx.com) if you would like to see something a little different.

I have also loaded the webex player on the public section of our ftp site, in case you need it.

Happy VXing,
Britvic

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

21-01-2005 10:28 . am | View his/her posts only
Very nice movie with good advice that is useful to everybody and explained in a sensible fashion that is easy to understand. Nice one Vic. Today VX, tomorrow, Hollywood!

If you have a large machine shop or you do contract work for other shops, a Machine library file (not the same as a machining template) will save time and money, plus help to eliminate mistakes when working under pressure.

It is simple to build a library and you can add to it on an add-hoc basis. You don't even have to enter all the data into VX's forms. If you prefer, you can for example use MS Excel to record the data, then pass all the records to VX as a CSV (comma seperated values) file

If the data is about CNC machines in multiple shops, consider having a dataset for each shop (where a dataset is information about a logical group of CNC Machines), or maybe including a short "code name" for the shop as a prefix to the CNC Machine Name, or if your outfit is very large, you might want to catagorise by CNC Machine type or Manufacturer. In each case, the principles are the same: store accurate information about specific CNC machines in a library file, then each time you need a given machine for a given CamPlan, you simply select the machine rather than having to enter all the info over and over again.

I must emphasise how important it is to ensure that the data about the CNC machines is accurate - I have received many a support call from people who have got themselves in a tangle and cannot understand what is wrong with their CamPlan. It is so much easier, and safer, if all your CamPlan data is an accurate representation of the physical set-up.If you have multiple CNC machines that are indentical, consider giving each a seperate entry in your Dataset, to tie-in with job planning and project management.

1) Create a new VX file and give it a meaningful name, e.g. My_Company_CNC_MCs.VX
2) Create a new CamPlan and give that a meaningful name. The CamPlan in this case is used only as the Dataset, a container of CNC Machine info, it typically will not have any machining set-up info or pre-defined toolpaths. However, many shops like to manage the cost of cutters by trying to stick to a specific set of cutter sizes/types. If your company does this, then save cutter data too. Naming will depend on how you decide to categorise groups of CNC Machines. For example, for multiple shops on the same site or of the same company you could have a CamPlan Dataset for each shop:

CNC_Shop_01_MCs (CamPlan)
CNC_Shop_02_MCs (CamPlan)
CNC_Shop_01_Cutters (CamPlan)
CNC_Shop_02_Cutters (CamPlan)

3) Now, in "CNC_Shop_01_MCs (CamPlan)" for example, add all of the CNC machines, giving precise names, axis data, MC type etc. Remember you can record this info in a spreadsheet or plain text file if you prefer, then pass it to VX (tip: you can rapidly create a template txt file in VX first, thus getting all the record field names "for free"). If the Machine always has specific cutters pre-loaded in a tool changer, enter those too - but make sure the cutters are selected from the cutter library!

4) Save the VX file in a convenient folder on your computer. That's it, your CNC Machine (and Cutters) library is ready for use Get really efficient and build libraries of standard MC Tables, Additional Heads, clamps, tomb stones........

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 6

21-01-2005 11:27 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi again

Just to make life easier, here is an Excel file that can be used as a template to produce your record of CNC machines. Simply edit the fields, save the file firstly as an xls (to keep all the formatting), then save as a CSV file which can then be passed to VX:

See also