CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > PDF Export Issues - Need Help

PDF Export Issues - Need Help

mattvdv4780

Message 1 of 5

PDF Export Issues - Need Help
04-10-2012 12:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi everyone,
I recently upgraded to ZW3D from VX. I was excited to hear i could now export PDFs of my drawings. I have tried doing so but am having some unexpected results. When our company receives PDFs from other companies they are all crystal clear just like they would appear on a computer screen. However, when i export my drawings as a PDF through ZW they come out not very clear at all and also have a grid behind them. I export at the highest possible resolution (600). I was wondering if maybe there is something i am missing? Any help would be appreciated. I will attach an example

Sheet001.pdf (23.17 KB)

Cheers.

Colin

Manager

Message 2 of 5

08-10-2012 09:55 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi, mattvdv4780

I couldn't figure out the problem right now, just for your information,
I'm using Adobe Reader 10.1.4 and ZW3D 2012 SP1, it works perfect in my computer.

If the problem could not be fixed by upgrading your Adobe PDF reader, could you please send me the file and tell me your Adobe reader version, and then I can try to figure it out.

Best regards
Colin

Paul

Message 3 of 5

13-10-2012 03:04 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Matt,
looks to me like you have included a shaded view or a Fast GL view in the set and the output is a screen shot.
ZW does not support shaded views as anything other than a screenshot - (this needs to be fixed ASAP IMO been too long now)
You can turn the grid off. In the Document Aware Toolbar there is a grid control.
Try changing the attribute of the shaded view to a wire-frame or hidden line. The output should be fine.
FYI I do not export pdf's I use a pdf printer (Primo) and print via that.
You can also PLOT to the pdf printer and this will be more accurate with line thickness etc, but you may need to work at setting up a plot profile that works for your printer. Can take a bit of effort and experimentation. Not quite as simple as the print command.
The power is there, just need to learn to drive it.

Paul

Message 4 of 5

25-10-2012 06:48 . am | View his/her posts only
I have previously used Print via a 3rd party PDF printer. The Export option is so much better and allows shaded views to co exist and print correctly.
It also does a really good job of screen shots and 3D PDF.

I think it is so useful, that access to PDF export/print should be directly from the Toolbar alongside the Print Icon as well as via the the Export dialogue.

Paul

Message 5 of 5

26-10-2012 09:12 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Matt, I think I have this fogured out.
You used Monochrome which has a bug. Also in SP2 Beta.
Use Grey scale and it will sort.
Some fonts do not produce well - especially the tolerance.
I have reverted to Simplex Roman as the font for dimensions.
Datum Symbol does not convert to PDF properly. Maybe others too.
ZW need to set up a sheet with ALL symbols, mark ups etc on it and test the various output options.
The difference between 300 & 600 DPI is almost non observable but file size does grow a little.

The PDF export could be enhanced with a few additional feature.
Date, time and filename stamping.
Option NOT to print background.

Alternatively the PDF export could be integrated into the PRINT dialogue with the options that are there. Perhaps this is the ideal solution.

Cheers
See also