CAD software discussion forum > ZW3D CAM > Access Violation ZW3d 2012 SP2

Access Violation ZW3d 2012 SP2

John

Message 1 of 14

Access Violation ZW3d 2012 SP2
15-03-2013 03:28 . am | View his/her posts only
I have ZW3d 2012 SP2 installed on three computers. Recently on one I receive an "access violation" when starting ZW, pick new cam plan, pick machine, dies, no other steps. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, same error. Tried uninstalling, deleting all ZW directories, restart computer, reinstall, same error. Here is part of the crash files:

ZW3D VERNUM:10/15/2012(228932:1935bff08743)
zw3d caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module ntdll.dll at 0023:7738e41b.
Exception handler called in uiCWinApp.cpp - AfxWinMain.
Error occurred at 3/14/2013 16:00:54.
C:\Program Files (x86)\ZWSOFT\ZW3D 2012 Eng\zw3d.exe

Have had this software since 2005 and still do not have enough confidence in it to program our production parts.

John

Jon

Message 2 of 14

15-03-2013 03:46 . am | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by JonBanquer at 2013-3-15 04:02

"Have had this software since 2005 and still do not have enough confidence in it to program our production parts."

Neither do I and things are not getting better anywhere near fast enough on the CAM side. ZW3D CAM needs a ton of work done to it. Losing Dan Micsa to ModuleWorks was a huge mistake. Not having CAM developers active on this forum is also is a big mistake.

Jon Banquer
CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 3 of 14

15-03-2013 05:45 . am | View his/her posts only
I used to be a tech support guy for a few well known CAD and CAM programs. Access violation errors are almost impossible to troubleshoot and/or to pinpoint where the problem is. Chances are about 100% that nothing is wrong with your ZW3D installation but instead some rogue activity in your operating system happened that is causing the problem. It's a bunch of gibberish but here's what an access violation is.

"Basically an access violation means that an application tried to use a portion of the Random Access Memory (RAM) that was being used by another process or one to which the process has no valid access. If two processes were able to access the memory location simultaneously, it would corrupt the data and possibly cause enough damage to require that you reinstall the operating system."

I'm not saying that troubleshooting won't work but I strongly suggest that you use this as an opportunity to wipe out and re install your operating system. If that's not practical or possible then you have no choice but to walk through the steps below.

Updates, virus scan, registry clean, malware scan, disk defrag, and so on.

If you don't already have all these troubleshooting utilities (virus, registry clean, malware clean) let me know and I will suggest some free ones.

Follow these steps to fix access violation errors:

• Download and install all the latest Microsoft Updates. If it is a svchost.exe error from the automatic update process, manually download and install the updates
  • Next do a complete virus scan and malware scan to eliminate any problems that are being caused by viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware, adware, etc.
  • If you are having problems with a specific application, go to the publisher’s website and download and install any patches or free updates for the application
  • Reboot the machine and then run a good registry cleaner to fix any invalid entries and remove any orphaned entries that may be left behind after all the updating you just did.

That should fix the problem. However, if you still have a problem with a specific application and the patches and/or free updates did not solve the problem, you will either need to stop using that application or upgrade the latest version.

Recommendation

Steps 1, 2 and 4 listed above should be part of a monthly maintenance program for your PC. Proper maintenance can prevent most of these problems from happening in the first place.

Good Luck

ZW3DUser

Message 4 of 14

15-03-2013 06:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by jansen1776 at 2013-3-15 18:13

@Jon

Why you alway post text like "ZW3D CAM needs a ton of work..." ?
This will not help and i think this problem here has nothing to do with development on ZW3D.

You wrote, no developers here...is that correct ?
What about the user from ZW3D here, right on the site "ZWSOFT Staff" ?

Jon

Message 5 of 14

15-03-2013 11:41 . pm | View his/her posts only
@jansen1776

"Why you alway post text like "ZW3D CAM needs a ton of work..." ?"

Because it does need a ton of work. ZW3D CAM is many years behind and it's not getting nearly enough development work. I've been very specific on the areas where ZW3D CAM badly lags behind. See my posts to this forum.

"You wrote, no developers here...is that correct ?"

From what I can tell it is.

Jon Banquer

John

Message 6 of 14

16-03-2013 02:11 . am | View his/her posts only
Well I took the time and did a complete system scan (which is done everyday), scanned the registry and fixed all reported problems, and ran a scan for Trojans, etc. Same results ZE crashes when you click on machine on the cam side. Calling in an existing project you can click on the machine tab, but as soon as you pick a specific machine...crash. I tried a February restore point, reinstalled graphics driver, uninstalled any software added in the last couple months. All this to no avail. All along ZW2010 has functioned correctly. On a whim I clicked on "Troubleshoot compatibility", system changed it to XP SP2 and a miracle...it works. Hopefully this will save someone else some aggravation.

John

Jon

Message 7 of 14

16-03-2013 05:10 . am | View his/her posts only
Every time I have to use a computer with Windows XP on it I cringe.

Windows 7 64 bit is far from perfect but I have no desire to go back to running 32 bit CADCAM programs on Windows XP... ever.

Jon Banquer

ZW3DUser

Message 8 of 14

17-03-2013 12:52 . am | View his/her posts only
@Jon (and sorry for my of toppic)
Ok, ZW3D is not the best, but show me a other CAM for this price.
We have pay for ZW3D and now we must use it !
I hope they will fix the problems. The problems i have are not really big, i dont must use restmill operation, but ZW3D advertise with this function, so i want to use it !

I have work about one year with OneCNC XR4. Simulation is better, but ZW3D with the separation of CAM plan and component are better. The features are a lot better, in OneCNC anything is in one surface. I can not rough with offset, i can not define a profile with offset ! For 20H7 i can edit the parameter to -0,01mm or the feature (profile).
If the will fix the problems with 2xspiralcut and offset, restmill...and one or two other things, it will be a good CAM !

Jon

Message 9 of 14

17-03-2013 01:09 . am | View his/her posts only
"Ok, ZW3D is not the best...."

Lets make ZW3D CAM the best by being honest about what it needs. The ability to easily solid cut part simulate many setups at once, the ability to keep track of a stock model and roll it back in the CAM manager for every machining operation, full integrated probing, etc.

"I have work about one year with OneCNC XR4."

May people using OneCNC have now dumped it. They have done so for very good reasons that I won't go into here.

Jon Banquer

ZW3DUser

Message 10 of 14

17-03-2013 06:21 . pm | View his/her posts only
...understand it not full, but simulation is not the really problem.
Test the 2xspiralcut they will set the cutter compensation wrong, sometimes...test the restmill function that not work correct sometimes...that are two problems for me.

What you mean with " keep track of a stock model and roll it back in the CAM manager for every machining operation, full integrated probing, etc" ???

And what about with OneCNC ? What you mean with "dumped it"

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 11 of 14

18-03-2013 10:39 . am | View his/her posts only
John,
Some of the posts in this thread got a bit different than the way it originally started (access violation).

Though I think your problems are not over I'm very glad to hear that you were able to get back to the point of your ZW3D running without having to re install the operating system.

You mentioned after all that troubleshooting that you took a chance and changed the compatibility mode to XP2 SP2 which allowed it to work again.

Nowhere in any of your posts in this thread does it mention what operating system your using.

I keep track of this kind of troubleshooting behavior/fixes so I would appreciate it if you let me know what operating system your using. I think the assumption may have been that you are using XP but you still can tell it that XP SP2 compatibility mode from newer that XP operating systems.

Thanks

Jon

Message 12 of 14

18-03-2013 11:22 . am | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by JonBanquer at 2013-3-18 11:30
...understand it not full, but simulation is not the really problem.
Test the 2xspiralcut they will ...
jansen1776 Post at 2013-3-17 18:21

Not being able to quickly automate solid cut part simulation over multiple setups is a huge problem for many CADCAM users.

I explain why keeping constant track of a stock model is so important, why being able to drag and drop backplotted toolpath to different parts of a solid model and have it adapt to the new condition (say facing to open pocket) and why it's a massive time saver, the ability to eliminate chaining, the importance of machine simulation and being able to develop toolpaths while in machine simulation rather than just checking them at the end of developing toolpath, fully integrated PDM and much more here:

http://cadcamtechnologyleaders.b ... opsolid-cadcam.html

Awhile ago I posted this here on fully integrated probing which is quickly becoming a basic requirement for production CADCAM systems:

http://www.zwsoft.com/forum/thread-2594-1-1.html

Jon Banquer

John

Message 13 of 14

18-03-2013 08:23 . pm | View his/her posts only
I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit service pack 1, with all current updates. I allowed the system to choose which compatibility mode. As a side note I have been using 3D Cad/Cam systems since 1989. I Have never experienced the instability problems with any other software package. We program machines on three continents running 24 hours a day. While I prefer a comprehensive 3d cad and cam system at a good price point, which I believe ZW to be, these kind of problems keep me from fully implementing it as my primary system. Keep in mind while I do realize there is probably a problem with my operating system ZW is the only program dying.

John

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 14 of 14

18-03-2013 08:48 . pm | View his/her posts only
John,

Thanks for the immediate response. As I mentioned I keep a database of these kinds of issues. Certainly difficult problems to pinpoint. I have numerous computers with a combination of operating systems and versions of ZW3D. No question that I don't have the length of experience that you have with VX/ZW3D but I'm just not seeing performance/stability problems. Though I don't yet know a large number of companies running ZW3D I do know some and they don't think they are experiencing problems.

Perhaps you work it more or harder than most and are able to recognize and flush out the problems.

All that really matters though is that you have problems that would nice to get solved.

If you learn any more or have any more issues please post them to this forum.

Dave
See also