Linux

Larry

Message 1 of 8

Linux
22-04-2005 11:34 . am | View his/her posts only

I am trying to get a new computer for VX and would like to configure it for future upgrades as to both operating systems and dual-core cpu's. Intel and AMD are both introducing dual-core technology (and 64-bit) and I don't want to miss a chance to take advantage of them if VX is changed along these lines a year from now.

Is there any cad/cam software that currently runs on Linux?

I've heard Linux will run on "cluster" computers. Is this true?

Wouldn't it be good if VX were the first software to take advantage (if there is any) of "cluster" computers and/or dual-core cpu's?

How many customers have taken the Linux survey?

Can you give me some feedback on Linux? or dual-core cpu's?

Thanks

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 8

22-04-2005 01:10 . pm | View his/her posts only

Hi ProblemChild

Dual and multi core CPUs are not going to slot into today's current motherboards, and their power will undoubtedly need to be matched by better GPUs -so your configuration for upgrade would effectively be looking at a replacement PC (barring the peripherals and possibly the case obviously, but even that may need to be radically different for cooling purposes).

Computer clustering is a technique whereby individual computers are unified to behave as though they were one. You can indeed run a cluster with Linux. Essentially, two computers networked together using a common file system could be classed as a cluster.

I'm always enthusiastic about new break-throughs in technology. However, I am a long way from investing in a Cray-like supercomputer - don't think the Corp is going to buy me one either Fortunately, VX performs very well on kit of fairly modest specification. Until now, Moore's law on the development of processor speed has always been fairly true. The forthcoming technology may well change this, but it is reasonable to expect a PC to serve you well for a period of about 3 years.

Steve

Message 3 of 8

22-04-2005 03:10 . pm | View his/her posts only
Really, i don't see the sense in buying the very top of the line, spending 2-3x the price of a good performing midrange box. Take for example, i just put together a Dell 4700 with 3.2GHZ P4 2 gig of ram. a Geforce 6600GT, 160 gig Sata2 drive and a 19" LCD monitor. The total was around $1100-$1200. I can justify doing this about every 12-18 months. And have a VERY good performing box to boot.

Kevin

Message 4 of 8

23-04-2005 11:38 . am | View his/her posts only
I agree with Steve. There are so many great deals to be had on proven systems that the so called state of the art just looks overpriced. You can pick up what was a top end system for half the price if you wait until the next upgrade get launched. My best yet was a Silicon Graphics Visual 320 NT workstation - with 21" monitor - for

Kevin

Message 5 of 8

23-04-2005 11:40 . am | View his/her posts only
BTW Pro/E Wildfire is claimed to work under Linux....there was a strong rumour a year or so back that they were shipping to the Mac OS X platform as well....but nothing ever came of it....yet

Steve

Message 6 of 8

25-04-2005 07:18 . am | View his/her posts only
PTC does have Pro/Concept out for OSX.
http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/textsub.jsp?im_dbkey=11690&icg_dbkey=21
Like I've said before, as much as I prefer "alternative" operating systems, I'd much rather see VX concentrate on making ONE platform rock solid.

Kevin

Message 7 of 8

25-04-2005 08:55 . am | View his/her posts only
I agree.....Mac OSX :-)

Seriously, we use Mac and Windows here for modelling and graphics. Its a pain having to invest in both platforms but we have a big legacy of Mac software (Quark, Adobe, fonts etc). Fact is I don't really care which system we are running as long as the job gets done. I'm multi lingual and during a working day a chop and change between Mac and Windows all the time. Yes Mac OSX is very good, but there are still apps that bomb in it regularly (Quark springs to mind), ditto for Windows. Good stable, robust software is the key element. IMHO VX needs a lot more work in many areas before it even contemplates a platform switch.

Paul

Message 8 of 8

02-05-2005 04:27 . pm | View his/her posts only
I agree with Steve, that building a Rock Solid Solid modeller has to be priority one. Fault tolerance has to be worked on really hard. My frustration with modelling is in two places. #1 ME - always on the curve. #2 - Software flakiness or limitiations. If this wasn't the case, new versions would not be required and the forum would be silent. So VXers. go hard, rock hard.
See also