CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > ZW3D 2013 to CNC program wire EDM ??

ZW3D 2013 to CNC program wire EDM ??

davej

Message 1 of 8

ZW3D 2013 to CNC program wire EDM ??
12-04-2013 11:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
I think that some of the members of this community are using ZW3D 2013 to program wire EDM machines.

Though not specifically meant for wire EDM I think it can be made to work.

I've heard (and seen in a video) that a software utility exists that can take the normal milling output and make it more wire EDM like ???

If anyone could provide some feedback on this it would be valued.

Thanks Much

Stefano

Assistant Engineer

Message 2 of 8

13-04-2013 01:51 . am | View his/her posts only
mmmm.... i think it's too hard.

or better it's possible if you make only rought cut, perpendicular cut, and if you have a full ISO machine just like Fanuc, Mitsubishi ... and if you work with an AGIE control. Agie Post is very very very difficult.
An if you have e taperd cut ? how your machine works ?

Davej i've just ask post for EDM a lot of time ago but they tell me that it's not in to the development plans.

I think they are crazy ! But unfortunately this is the ZWSoft think !

chris

Assistant Engineer

Message 3 of 8

13-04-2013 10:04 . am | View his/her posts only
I program wire without any difficulty. I program taper and as many finish cuts as your heart would desire. wire is not any different then a mill the cutter is just smaller in diameter. I have not programed the taper where the top and bottom are different shapes YET. I have programed simple taper for molds. I am not familiar with Agie requirements, do they use a different code then G code?

davej

Message 4 of 8

13-04-2013 11:37 . am | View his/her posts only
Reply 3# chris
Interesting.
I only expected 2D and did not expect to hear that your doing tapers.
What are you doing regarding your post-processor.
Is you post outputting the UV values for the taper???
I didn't think it was possible to do that.

Jon

Message 5 of 8

13-04-2013 01:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by JonBanquer at 2013-4-13 13:20

"I program wire without any difficulty."

How do you program the power settings for wire EDM with ZW3D without the wire EDM operator having to waste valuable time programming the power settings at the control?

Better Wire EDM CADCAM allows you to program the power settings in the CADCAM system and keeps a database of factory recommended settings.

This video shows some of the things that ZW3D CAM lacks when programming wire EDM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFffeBDoNAg

I'm sure you can get ZW3D to create G code but the wire EDM operator is going to be wasting a ton of time at the control entering in information that ZW3D CAM should be handling.

I'm in full agreement with everything Stefano posted.

Jon Banquer
CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkenIn

chris

Assistant Engineer

Message 6 of 8

13-04-2013 08:41 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 4# davej8835

Dave, as I said only simple taper which is the top shape is the same shape as the bottom shape just either bigger or smaller depending on the draft. In my post I do not have any Z moves and have disabled the spindle on and off. The wire requires certain codes at the beginning and end of the program so I have those in the post to automatically write at the start and end. The burn and offset codes are inserted into the program using a word program. Most times the first and second program are slightly different due to stops to secure the slug for cut off then stops to remove the slug. The second and third pass if necessary do not have those stops and also do not start from zero. The simple taper is set at the machine and activated by the program. My editing takes maybe 5 minutes on a complex program and the set up for the draft angle at the machine is a key stoke to activate and a key stroke to specify the draft amount.
I would like to see a g code program using the second set of codes to do different shapes top and bottom. I could then see if a post could be written or maybe a simple edit could do it.

chris

Assistant Engineer

Message 7 of 8

13-04-2013 08:44 . pm | View his/her posts only
PS. I also program a laser, 2D only

davej

Message 8 of 8

14-04-2013 11:54 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 7# chris

Chris.

This feedback is much appreciated.

Creative use of the tools makes this work for you.

I think those that considered this as impractical assumed a different and cumbersome way of programming the tilts with UV values.

The combination of your machine doing the tilting along with some values being in the post make this workable for you.

Not all wire machines allows that method of tilting.

Thanks again

Dave
See also