CAD software discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Difference between "erase" vs "delete"

Difference between "erase" vs "delete"

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 4

Difference between "erase" vs "delete"
22-09-2005 12:27 . am | View his/her posts only
When working in VX, after right clicking an item, object, or drawing entity, I often see "erase" or "delete" as an option. Is there a difference between them? If there is no a difference, only one or the other should be used for simplicity and consistency.

My guess is that one is used for 2D and the other is used in 3D...if this is the case, why?

Dictionary
Delete: 1. To remove by striking out or canceling: deleted some unnecessary words in the first draft.
Erase: 1. To remove (something written, for example) by rubbing, wiping, or scraping.
2. To remove all traces of.

I'm quoting a dictionary, I gotta get a life.
Clinton

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

22-09-2005 05:58 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi

There is a distinct difference in VX when working in 3D. If you Erase an entity, this action is recorded in History, so the entity remains and anything dependent on it will still regen. However, if you Delete an entity, it is gone gone gone from the database (....unless you UnDo). Anything dependent on a deleted entity will have a problem on regen.

In 2D, since there is no History, only delete is available.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 4

22-09-2005 11:33 . am | View his/her posts only

Chris,

I am assuming you might have reversed your usage of "delete" and "erase" because in 2D sketches I only see "erase", and in 3D I only see "delete". Or of course it could be that I don't know where to look for the "erase" in 3D and the "delete" in 2D.

I looked up delete and erase in the VX help. Even in VX help "Delete Feature from History" and "Erase Entities" use the same red X icon.

To make things even more confusing, in VX help it says under "Delete Feature from History" it references another command while mentioning "delete" with that other command. It says:
Use this command to delete features from the active part's history. Use the Erase Entities command to delete historically-generated entities.

Thanks for your help.
Clinton

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

22-09-2005 12:32 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Clintonyee

Well, I must check out the errors you have found in the on-line help, clearly mis-leading, I am sorry about that. The red X icon represents the permanent Delete command, for 3D you will find it in with the History Step-Through icons on the Manager form. The Erase icon is on the top horizontal toolbar, it is depicted as a pencil eraser. 3D is the only area where one would see a conflict of meaning, because of the History record. So, perhaps an easier way to think of it would be this: Once the File is saved, Delete is permanent, there is no going back. Erase on the other hand is not permanent, because you can Delete an Erase from the History List - powerfull stuff once you get your head around it.

Expanding this across all Root Object types, Erase is a non-permanent Delete only in 3D because of the History Record. So, at all times the term "Erase" does mean removal of geometry, text etc. It is special in 3D and therefore it is necessary to have a further command that delivers a permanent removal of geom when the User deems it necessary.

See also