CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > See how VX does OK here. Yes, a rave...

See how VX does OK here. Yes, a rave...

Paul

Message 1 of 5

20-06-2003 05:00 . am | View his/her posts only
Hey Steve, you've really set out to tease us. I just gotta see your part.
Do you know how cheap old scanners are? Just imagine a whole array of them, (USB means you could have quidzilliones), all arranged at various angles scanning the same object. Holographs, teleports, WOW, the mind boggles.

Really, I love the creativity. So how about short screen cam stepping through the history - .....

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

20-06-2003 06:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Hey Mudcrab

Good to hear of your success with VX. Did you notice that your post is dated 2003?

Paul

Message 3 of 5

See how VX does OK here. Yes, a rave...
06-06-2006 06:28 . am | View his/her posts only

Hi all,
I figure it's about time some of the really good side of VX made it out those shady cloistered places people work in. Yo'all must have sumpin to rave about. I really learn a lot from seeing what others have done. Any cool tips appreciated too.
AND I have had a fair number of real wins with VX, after all, thats why I changed.

So providing I can achieve an upload, I've attached a pic of a dome termination on the end of a banana shaped (cross section and path) variable sweep that I particularly liked. I had trepidation about finshing this item which is a trigger in a hand grip assembly. But, when it came to it, removing the end face (that's the smart tip, to get surface tangency control) then applying the Dome was a cinch. I really liked the way the dome interpeted the preceding shape. Purrrfect.

Be mighty keen to see what others have been especially please with.
Cheers

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 5

17-06-2006 02:19 . am | View his/her posts only
VX really is hybrid: surfacing, solids, and wireframe.

I have been using SolidWorks 2006 for the past 2 months because that is what the client supplied and uses for the rest of the company. SW 2006 is much nicer than older versions when it comes to surfaces but it is not fluid, it is quite clunky, like an afterthought or add-on. Making wireframes and then lofting them is a big chore that takes unnecessary steps to accomplish in SW2006. In VX, those same loft types are achieved more directly with better shape control.

One positive thing I have to say about SW is that the sketching seems very natural and easy. But then again, I have been using SW many more years than I have been using VX.

Overall, VX is my preference to get a job done.

Steve

Message 5 of 5

19-06-2006 02:39 . pm | View his/her posts only
I wish I could post my latest part. I Don't have the customer's permission...

It's not all that difficult, but it would be in just about any other piece of software.
I have an exsisting part, but no 3D model. Being silicone, it was difficult to measure. and had no easily defined shape. Looked like an ameoba. So what I did was put the part in to my trusty old scanner. Scanned a tiff. I then applied the image as a texture map to a planar face. inserted a sketch and did some free form through point curve. And scetched along the image outside edge. It turned out FABULOUS! My boss was impressed. He was figuring having to send the part out to get 3D scanned. But insted, it took my about 15 minutes to get the correct outside shape of the part.

Thanks VX! Keep up the fabulous work!
See also