CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Suggestions to fillet on a line?

Suggestions to fillet on a line?

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 7

Suggestions to fillet on a line?
30-09-2002 09:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
I have a prospect who is interested in creating fillets with curves. He is currently using SurfaceWorks to generate these shapes.
SurfaceWorks

The attached part shows several iterations of fillet creation using both the elliptical fillet and the conic surface with tangent edges.

I have tried, with little success, to use the Intellegent face command to create the desired effect. There are 3 parts with the partial results I get.

?????What other surface/fillet techniques can I try for working with holding a fillet on a line?????

Note: SurfWx uses two curves per face to define a fillet. One curve defines the trim boundary, and the other curve defines the scale of the tangency of the fillet. The way he described it was really easy to use and modify, just drag one of the curves on the face and it gives you an instant update of the fillet trim edge and tangency scale. What do we have that is comparable?

All help appreciated. Thanks.
SoCalSwami

Tim

Message 2 of 7

01-10-2002 10:16 . am | View his/her posts only
I crawl like a viper
Through these deserted streets

(Or something like that).

I'll tell SurfaceDude about this thread.

Vance

Message 3 of 7

01-10-2002 04:38 . pm | View his/her posts only
Until we work on the Intelligent face command some more, you will not have much success picking a curve embedded on a surface. We know how to fix it, just need the time.

As for additional techniques, you can try trimming to the curves (as you did for the conic surface with tangent edges) and then just loft between the 2 sets of edges. This would give you easy control of the tangency scale. BTW, I assume you know that you have some tangency scale control with the conic surface by way of the conic ratio.

For finer control of the tangency scale, you can use a variational sweep of a "Curve through Control Point" that has been constrained to remain tangent with the 2 surfaces. That's a little more difficult, but you can accomplish just about anything.

If you need more direction to try these other techniques, let me know.

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 7

01-10-2002 05:37 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the help guys.

Surface Dude,

I have create a few variational sweeps that look good, but the tangency is not quite right on them.
How would I constrain a curve with control points to be tangent to 2 faces?

Thanks.

Vance

Message 5 of 7

04-10-2002 03:59 . pm | View his/her posts only
Although this is not the way I would recommend for solving this problem, I have attached a file that shows how to create a surface tangent to 2 edges while using 2 other curves to control the tangent magnitude.

After you figure out how the sketch is constrained to acheive this, step through the history and unsuppress ModCtrlPoint17. This modifies one of the 2 tangent magnitude curves to give a more full surface coming around the corner.

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 7

10-10-2002 07:04 . pm | View his/her posts only
I just finished our 3rd demo for www.flowbeekite.com
Rick wants to use VX to design these wakeboards on his site and I am 99% sure we'll close him within the month))

The key for him was an easy way to manipulate the 'helper curves' that defined tangency of the large blend surface.
Just double click a dimension, use the +/- icons to change the value (and watch the sketch update realtime) and regen! Now that's easy!

Check out the part and let me know of any more suggestions to help 'ice the cake' and get his $$$$$

Props to Surface Dude and Mike L for the excellent help.

Robert

Message 7 of 7

11-10-2002 01:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Do we get deals on wakeboards?
See also