CAD software discussion forum > CAD Tutorial & Tips > dxf dwg difference, dxf vs dwg file

dxf dwg difference, dxf vs dwg file

RobDraw

Message 1 of 3

dxf dwg difference, dxf vs dwg file
06-09-2013 05:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Can anyone tell me what's difference between dxf and dwg file? The difference comparing dxf vs dwg file? Autocad (zwcad) open/save both dwg and dxf, what's dxf dwg difference? Should I save as dwg or dxf? I guess they are used for different aspects.
thanks a lot in advance.

Jenny

Message 2 of 3

09-09-2013 11:17 . am | View his/her posts only
Reply 1# RobDraw

If you need to share with your co-worker who use AutoCAD or ZWCAD+, you should save as DWG file format, if you need to send to someone who use different CAD and graphics programs, you should save the drawing as dxf format, but for most case, stick to dwg.

DWG is native 2D CAD file format, original for AutoCAD, of course ZWCAD+ and other 2D CAD software use DWG file format too.

DXF is not really an 2D CAD format but an industry standard, it stands for Drawing eXchange Format. it is set up to be universally usable to many software products. This allows users to exchange drawings even if they don't have the same program. When you use the DXF format, some objects may change their appearance when re-opened. As with DWG formats, DXF formats vary from different releases. To convert DWG to DXF, you can save as DXF format, or you can use command DXFOUT, conversely DXF Files can be imported using the DXFIN command.

Try ZWCAD+ free for 30 days:
http://www.zwsoft.com/zwcad/ZWCAD_Overview

Profcad

Message 3 of 3

09-09-2013 11:24 . am | View his/her posts only
DWG is a binary file, while DXF is ASCII.
See also