CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > ? Variable Offsets for Electrodes

? Variable Offsets for Electrodes

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 7

? Variable Offsets for Electrodes
13-02-2003 12:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
I have a prospect (large opportunity) that desires to design their electrodes true to size. Currently they are compensating for over burn by lying to their CAM system about tool size. Their need is to offset individual faces with different offset values. My understanding is that this technique is required for Orbiting EDM. This is simple if there are no fillets (all flat walls and faces). I need help with applying this to more complex electrodes. The prospect was not satisfied with a constant offset, which is more appropriate for Plunge EDM.

Any input toward a solution would be greatly appreciated.

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 7

13-02-2003 12:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
translation.....

I have a prospect (large opportunity) that desires to design their electrodes true to size. Currently they are compensating for over burn by lying to their CAM system about tool size. Their need is to offset individual faces with different offset values. My understanding is that this technique is required for Orbiting EDM. This is simple if there are no fillets (all flat walls and faces). I need help with applying this to more complex electrodes.The prospect was not satisfied with a constant offset, which is more appropriate for Plunge EDM.

Any input toward a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Message 3 of 7

13-02-2003 03:21 . pm | View his/her posts only
You'll have to build the thing manually instead of using the electrode command. Shell permits variable offset using face tags. This was not implemented in electrode because no one asked for it. However, it could be added fairly easily in a future release.

To add to this, I was informed that the planar offset would be very valuable to orbital EDM. Have you looked at that?

Robert

Message 4 of 7

25-02-2003 02:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
Can we get a file to look at?

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 7

25-02-2003 03:00 . pm | View his/her posts only
Attached are a few files from the customer and we have been successful with using the Offset Faces Command. Originally the customer explained that the geometry was complex like that of the landing gear in the AirPlane demo, which we can offset but the transitions with the radii don't yeild a closed solid nor a desirable result. I do have a prospect that designs packaging that would enjoy a variable offset where fillets would be maintained at its current radius. Mike Lynch has been the liason between me (VAR and Prospect) and development.

Tim

Message 6 of 7

27-02-2003 01:27 . pm | View his/her posts only
This would be an enhancement to shell (and a minor one to electrode). I believe Mike has submitted or will submit an enhancement request. Then it would have to be scheduled for a release which is the job of the planning committee.

Mike

Message 7 of 7

07-03-2003 09:57 . am | View his/her posts only
PCR 11182
See also