CAD software discussion forum > ZW3D CAD > Radial Surface Finishing

Radial Surface Finishing

warren

Message 1 of 7

Radial Surface Finishing
22-11-2013 03:47 . am | View his/her posts only
First off the forum really needs cleaned up because this deletes all the info. Anyways.

Is there a radial toolpath option in ZW for non radial geometry? If not, this should be in the ZW wish list as radial surfacing is as common as it gets.

ZW radial option in Contour Mill only produces parallel stepovers.

ZW Radial Option

zw_radial.jpg
2013-11-22 03:19

The toolpath style I require (BobCAD V24)

BobCAD V24

radial bobcad.jpg
2013-11-22 03:32

This is just some sample geometry I made and not what I need to cut. I will be cutting wood and the Radial toolpath works best for avoiding tearing out the woodgrain in my application.

Thanks

Didier

Message 2 of 7

22-11-2013 04:31 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Warren,

AFAIK, Contour mill is a 2D toolpath in ZW3D, so what toolpath did you actually use?

Offset 3D should give good results, provided you use a downcut or a compression end mill for roughing, in order to avoid tears.

Is it hard or soft wood?

You'll probably get better comments, as we do not often machine wood, but we get good results this way in hard wood (oak).

HTH

Best regards,

Didier

warren

Message 3 of 7

22-11-2013 05:05 . am | View his/her posts only
Reply 2# CoReForm

Thanks for the input. However I need the radial pattern shown in the second picture. The only option I've had any luck with is 3x Contour Cut but that only works on radial geometry.

Didier

Message 4 of 7

22-11-2013 05:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
Sorry, I don't see any "3x Contour Cut" in ZW3D.

What is the actual name of the toolpath you are referring to?

Maybe you're using and older version I am using ZW3D 2013 and you can use toolpath spiraling from center. Not exactly what you are searching for, though.

Could you post your sample file to give it a try and compare results?

warren

Message 5 of 7

24-11-2013 06:22 . am | View his/her posts only
Sorry, I don't see any "3x Contour Cut" in ZW3D.

What is the actual name of the toolpath you are re ...
CoReForm Post at 2013-11-22 17:26

Turn on your 3x nurbs toolpaths in Utilities > Configuration > Cam > Enable 3 axis Direct nurbs

That will turn on the "contour" option in the 3x nurbs operations. In it there is an option to change the motion of the contour between parallel and radial. The only closest toolpaths I can get are "flow" but that's still not what I want.

In the meantime I'm going back to plain old bobcad or will revert back pre SP. This latest 2013 SP is next to useless with as many crashes as it is giving me on an unrelated part. I'm spending more time chasing crashes that I am getting any work done.

Attached is a file with the geometry I've been playing with. It will do what I want with the "Cone" CAM. radial test.zip (701.47 KB)

Didier

Message 6 of 7

25-11-2013 01:18 . am | View his/her posts only
Reply 5# warrensb

Thanks for the info, Warren. These options are very well hidden…

Roy

Message 7 of 7

25-11-2013 06:02 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Warren,

Thank you so much for using ZW3D and your good suggestion and feedback.

We will take this into account.

For the crashed issue you mentioned if possiblem i think maybe you can sent the file or crash reprot us by email
since it is better to let us figure out how the problem happen so that our R&D can improve it much better. And also
we can provide a better support for you

Therefore if you don't mind please give your problem to this email :zw3d@zwsoft.com

Best regards

Roy
See also