CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Drawing sheet and views to pdf

Drawing sheet and views to pdf

Kevin

Message 1 of 6

Drawing sheet and views to pdf
16-06-2004 05:18 . am | View his/her posts only
As a long time user of other systems I had a shock when I came to create drawings of my first real project using VX in that the drawing views were badly tesselated (see screenshot showing example of the bottle sample file imported to a drawing sheet) even with auto refine curves on. And when they printed like that I was worried!

So a quick call from UK technical support sorted me out. Seems that in this situation you have to use the dynamic zoom to zoom into the view to correct the stepping. When you zoom out again all is well. It worked!

As a side issue I printed the files to pdf and I have to say I was amazed at the quality of the line in the pdf. I'm used to doing this in other systems and frankly VX is streets ahead in this respect. The curves in the pdf were super smooth, lines joined perfectly and there was no stepping. Well done!

Getting back to the issue though perhaps the help files could be ammended to explain the zoom trick in combination with the autorefine curves command. Also, is there any way to use Windows fonts in the drawing sheets? The VX line fonts are, well, interesting (does anyone use German Gothic??). Maybe in v10?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

16-06-2004 01:50 . pm | View his/her posts only
There is a way to add windows (true type TTF) fonts to the VX Font Table. You simply edit the Font Table file and add the font file name to the list (note, the font file name is often very different to the font name!). However, VX does not use True Type Fonts yet, so what happens is that the font gets converted to a VX font. Unfortunately therefore, a TTF font can also be "interesting" in use. In particular, the fonts are not "filled". However, certain fonts look great and are useful.

1) You can find your TTF font files via Windows Control Panel.

2) On a default installation, the VX Font Table file is found here: C:Program FilesVXCorpVX9.61supp

3) Make a copy of the file first, just in case you hit a problem.

4) Open the file vx_font_table with a text editor such as notepad. Don't use a wordprocessor.

5) The standard list of VX fonts can be seen. Add the names of the TTF fonts you wish to use, save the file. Reboot VX.

Note, when you add the font, you must enter the font filename - in the Windows Font Folder, right-mouse click on the font of your choice and pop-up the Properties Form. Here you will find the true name of the true type font file - just copy and paste it.

Below is an example vx_font_table in all it's glory, with Arial and Times New Roman fonts added to the list:-

# This is the VX font table data file. Only fonts listed in this file will
# be recognized by VX. There can be up to 999 fonts.
# The first line contains the number of fonts to keep in memory.
# Each following line has the following format:
# font_number, font_file_name, encoding, single/double
# Examples:
# To add a Chinese TrueType font with BIG5 encoding as a double byte font, use:
# 98,ChineseFont.ttf,BIG5,double
# To add a Japanese TrueType font with SJIS encoding as a double byte font, use:
# 99,JapaneseFont.ttf,SJIS,double
#
# To see a list of supported encodings, run vx -fh
#
1,vxfont01.fnt
2,vxfont02.fnt
3,vxfont03.fnt
4,vxfont04.fnt
5,vxfont05.fnt
6,vxfont06.fnt
7,vxfont07.fnt
8,vxfont08.fnt
9,vxfont09.fnt
10,vxfont10.fnt
11,vxfont11.fnt
12,vxfont12.fnt
13,vxfont13.fnt
14,vxfont14.fnt
15,vxfont15.fnt
16,vxfont16.fnt
17,vxfont17.fnt
18,vxfont18.fnt
19,vxfont19.fnt
20,vxfont20.fnt
21,vxfont21.fnt
22,vxfont22.fnt
23,vxfont23.fnt
24,vxfont24.fnt
25,vxfont25.fnt
26,vxfont26.fnt
27,vxfont27.fnt
28,arial.ttf
29,times.ttf

Kevin

Message 3 of 6

17-06-2004 04:40 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks for that Chris, I'll give it a try. I've been playing around with the VX font aspect ratios as well and that can give a nice condensed type for dimensioning and text.

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 6

17-06-2004 06:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
I've been using PDF995 for some time now to create PDF files from my drawings.
How are you creating yours?

Kevin

Message 5 of 6

18-06-2004 08:59 . am | View his/her posts only
Joe,

We do a lot of graphics as well as product design so we use Acrobat (currently v5 - v6 Professional is sitting on my desk ready to be installed....when I get a second). I generally just print to Acrobat Distiller or the PDF Writer in the print dialogue (both are printer level devices). This works well from any app, not just VX.

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 6

21-06-2004 04:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
OK,
from your original message it sounded as though VX was outputting pdf files. I thought that I might be missing a plug-in.
PDF995 works from any program also, and for 9.95US its a real bargain.
See also