CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > FRACTIONAL DIMENSIONING????

FRACTIONAL DIMENSIONING????

Donald

Message 1 of 6

FRACTIONAL DIMENSIONING????
13-08-2004 12:47 . pm | View his/her posts only
When dimensioning a drawing how do you change the dimensions to fractional?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

29-08-2004 12:44 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chopper

That was brave, posting on Friday 13th

VX does not currently support fractional dimension formatting. I know there are folks out there still using fractions, but you are definetly in the minority!

I have written a macro program that would do this job. The macro is fine but there are currently some limitations in VX itself that prevent some dimensions from being converted. Also, because of a very tiny limitation that hopefully will also be fixed soon, the program cannot automatically change the dimension value format for you.

However, because the program does find the Greatest Common Divisor, it could still be helpful.

Downloads Library

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 6

31-08-2004 01:46 . pm | View his/her posts only
A later version (v1.3) of the Fractions macro is now available, compatible with VX v10. User selected/defined fractions precision added.

Downloads Library

Mike

Message 4 of 6

31-08-2004 03:32 . pm | View his/her posts only
If you don't have your PCR enhancement request written, don't wait. As far as we know not many people are using fractions. Stand up and be counted!

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 6

21-09-2004 11:33 . am | View his/her posts only
From what I have seen Fractional dimensioning is common throuhout the industry. Not as standard dims but to show tolerance. In the sheet title blocks the standard tolerances are noted, different # of decimal places means a different tolerance. Fractions are often used too to show a different tolerance, usually larger than the decimal tolerances.

Steve

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 6

21-09-2004 11:46 . am | View his/her posts only
<DIV>Hi Steve

I think it depends on your industry and how things are manufactured. Outside of the USA, it's mostly all metric, no fractions required. However, with plenty of requests for this feature, I'm sure the developers will, as usual, rise to the occasion as quickly as possible. In the meantime, please try the macro, available free, from the downloads library.</DIV>
See also