Shell options

Eli

Message 1 of 6

Shell options
31-10-2004 06:42 . pm | View his/her posts only
I am wondering what to do if I want variable thicknesses of a shape that was previously a group of surfaces that I have sewn together. Each surface in this case needs to be a different thickness...do I have to undo the sew commands? What are my options here? Thanks in advance.
-Eli

Eli

Message 2 of 6

31-10-2004 09:24 . pm | View his/her posts only
Ok....I've managed to shell all but one of the surfaces separately...now I'm having problems with one surface that just won't shell for some reason. Nothing special about the surface other than it being an imported iges. Shapewise its just a cambered loft.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 6

01-11-2004 08:18 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

It is probably going to be better if you can apply the thicknesses required on the entire faceset (group of surfaces sewn together). If the shape of this faceset is not too complex, you might like to try the Advanced tab on the Shell Solid command. Alternatively, shell the faceset to a uniform thickness and then modify the solid with the new morphing functions.

Concerning the surface that refuses to shell, it's underlying data may have problems. There are two things to try. Firstly, try reversing the face normals (Freeform toolbar, 3 down, 3 across). If that fails, try replacing the surface using the Offset Face command (Freeform toolbar, 1 down, 6 across). Offset the existing face by zero to create the new face, then delete the existing.

Eli

Message 4 of 6

01-11-2004 10:02 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris,
I ended up offsetting the face of one of the surfaces last night, and that did the trick.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

01-11-2004 10:46 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

Glad everything is OK. Can you tell me what you are trying to acheive with these variable offsets? Is it something like a multi-ply carbon fibre (Kevlar?) lay up?

Eli

Message 6 of 6

01-11-2004 05:23 . pm | View his/her posts only
Basically I have cabin and deck structures that are of different overall thicknesses...ie the cabin sides are thinner than the cabin top. I'm actually not sure yet what the final layups will be, but I more or less know what the overall thicknesses will be given the core materials I'm using.
See also