CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > 10.22 crashing upon STEP import

10.22 crashing upon STEP import

Eli

Message 1 of 30

10.22 crashing upon STEP import
01-11-2004 11:45 . pm | View his/her posts only
I have not been able to import large STEP files without 10.22 shutting down for some reason. Has anybody else had this problem? I've also been having problems with the program crashing whilst doing shape trim operations from time to time (enough frequency to be a hassle).
-Eli

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 30

02-11-2004 12:08 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

......depends what you mean by large

Seriously though, we would like a copy of your file, to see if you have found a bug in VX. Does VX actually dissappear from screen? Is there an error message either from VX or from Windows?

The problem might not be VX. If it really is a very large file, 100's of MB, then your PC needs to be in optimum order, because Windows can have major difficulties with large files. Elsewhere in the forum I have posted notes on what to do about this.

Do you know if the STEP file itself is in good order? Can the application that exported the STEP file import it without problems?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 30

02-11-2004 12:25 . am | View his/her posts only
<DIV>Hi again Eli

Concerning the crashes you are getting from trim operations, the clue is in the symptom. Let's say you do a trim, and VX crashes. If you re-boot VX, re-load the file and do the same trim in exactly the same way again, does VX crash again? If so, then you have definitely found a bug in VX and we need that file of yours to help us design the bug out.

If the trim works fine, then there are memory issues. That could be down to how VX managed the memory at that moment in time (in which case, if you repeat the same trim over and over, you should be able to reproduce the crash), it could be something that Windows did or it could be that the actual RAM chip is unreliable. I got the occasional crash myself at the beginning of this year, and it turned out to be faulty RAM (even though from a top manufacturer). VX is more likely to expose hardware problems than your other software because it is designed to run fast and squeezes every last bit of juice from your system to deliver speed.</DIV>

Eli

Message 4 of 30

02-11-2004 09:44 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
Here is the attached STEP file. It was converted in Solidworks 2004. I've been able to import VX STEP files into Solidworks just as a test, but unable to do the reverse. The error happens 100% of the time. I will attach the file for you here. As far as the trimming goes, I does happen with some regularity, and when it happens, VX just quits out. I am beyond that particular operation now, but if I run into it again, I will pass along a file for you.
-Eli

Also...my computer configuration is:
2xAMD Opteron 244 (1.79 ghz)
Nvidia Quadro FX 3000
2gig RAM

Attachment here is not working for some reason, so I'll send the file to your VX email account

Eli

Message 5 of 30

02-11-2004 09:57 . am | View his/her posts only

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 30

02-11-2004 11:11 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

Just waiting for that file to arrive - how big is it?

Regarding SW, can the STEP file that has been exported by SW be imported by SW without problems?

Your PC has an excellent spec. You should however follow my advice to get the best out of it. A new PC with newly installed OS and Applications will start to choke from fragmentation within days.

Also, note that your processor set-up is comparatively rare. Windows has a history of not managing dual processors for workstations as well as we might expect. It is worth visiting the AMD website/Motherboard manufacturers website to check that there are no driver/bios issues too.

Eli

Message 7 of 30

02-11-2004 11:25 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris.
I've been trying to upload the file to the forum here, but to no avail. It's 53mb I think. I am having trouble logging on to my Gmail account for some reason too, so sending the file is becoming a pain. As far as the system goes, does it make sense to change my OS to XP-64 bit that supports opteron specifically? I am hesitant to do it despite the obvious performance advantages because of MS's poor history so far as stability with new releases and/or betas is concerned.
-Eli

Eli

Message 8 of 30

02-11-2004 12:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Having another issue here again Chris with an Error that keeps popping up....Object-1 does not exist. This is a pain really because the only way to get rid of it seems to undo an bunch of stuff that I've done, and lose everything for what amounts to no reason. Maybe I deleted something in the past, but one of the issues that I have with VX is how it deals with entities that might have been created, but really have no dependents whatsoever. Once these entities are deleted, the program treats that deletion as some catastrophic event that affects all of the following operations, despite the fact that they are not dependent on whatever was deleted. Also, the fact that the whole model has to regenerate so that I can redefine an entity gets pretty tedious once the part grows to a certain size.
-Eli

Eli

Message 9 of 30

02-11-2004 12:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thinking about it...it would help if I had some idea what "object -1" was in the first place. As it stands, there is an error with no indication of what entity actually is/was "object-1," so it's difficult to proceed with just that info

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 30

02-11-2004 12:41 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

64bit processing is not really with the PC world as yet, since 99.9% of the available applications have not be designed for 64bit - that includes VX. So, there is no advantage.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 30

02-11-2004 12:52 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi again Eli

You should be able to upload your file to the VX FTP site. It is a simple process, you do not have to use an FTP program on your PC to upload. On the Main Customer Support System Page, (http://support.vx.com/customers/), click on Files Access, Public. Browse to the file on your PC and click Post. Note, if the data is sensitive, we will need to make other provisions.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 30

02-11-2004 12:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

Yes, you are right, that error message is not at all helpfull to the User. Sorry you have been hit with this problem. Usually, it is pretty innocent. You can clean the database from the Root Object Level. Click on Tools, Fix Objects.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 13 of 30

02-11-2004 01:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

Concerning model regeneration, you can reduce the load.

Firstly, at any point in history you can insert a "backup" marker. When you regen the model, VX will offer you the choice of a regen of the entire history or a regen from a backup marker. With the history List open, select a history item below which the marker is to be inserted. via Insert/History Operation/Backup, you can drop-in the marker. It is a good idea to re-name it to something meaningful.
Secondly, ensure the Object is well managed. For example, never import geometry (IGES, STEP etc) directly into a Part Object that you are editing. Instead, store the import geom in it's own Part Object and pull it into the "working" Part Object using Insert Component and Merge Component.
Also, you can define large parts divided into regions. Create an Initial Part Object that is used to define the basic overall shape that affects all regions. Then use the insert component command to create a new Part Object. Whilst in that Object, you can still see (and pick via F7 etc) the Initial Object, so you can define shapes (bosses etc) and this Object of course has it's own history. Get the idea? Instead of one large Part Object with a giant history, you can have 20 Part Objects each with a small, efficient history. I coined this technique as "Pseudo Assembly" - using Assembly Object techniques to define a single Part.

Eli

Message 14 of 30

02-11-2004 01:22 . pm | View his/her posts only
Chris...thanks for all of that. I will upload the STEP file via ftp when I get back to the office (I'm at lunch at the moment).
-Eli

Eli

Message 15 of 30

02-11-2004 03:02 . pm | View his/her posts only
Chris,
I'm trying to "fix objects" as you suggested, but I'm having a hard time finding this anywhere. I've looked in the online help file...and it says invoked by UTILITIESART LEVEL. Well, I've done that and I can't find anything under utilities names part, other than part library and part table. Neither of these seems to do what I want. In the manual, it says the Fix Objects is invoked by Tools(Object/CAM level). I don't have any of the CAM stuff, so that might mean I'm out of luck here?

Eli

Message 16 of 30

02-11-2004 03:51 . pm | View his/her posts only
Chris,
The STEP file has finally been uploaded to the server
-Eli

ChrisWard2k2

Message 17 of 30

03-11-2004 09:00 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi again Eli

The Fix Objects command is at Root Object Level, i.e. where you create new objects and the system lists all objects of the file.

Eli

Message 18 of 30

03-11-2004 10:33 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris...I've been at the root level, and there is nothing that says "fix Objects" The only thing there that might remotely resemble that is "regenerate" and "rederive"

ChrisWard2k2

Message 19 of 30

03-11-2004 09:39 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

You don't have Tools/Fix Objects at Root Level as per the screenshot above? If so, there is something wrong with your install.

Also, what is the name of the STEP file you uploaded? I can't seem to find it anywhere.................

ChrisWard2k2

Message 20 of 30

05-11-2004 05:58 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

Your STEP file does not seem to have made it onto our FTP Site. Do we still need to see it or have you resolved the issue?

Eli

Message 21 of 30

05-11-2004 12:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
The STEP file is called "try2." I got a message from vx this morning indicating (I think) that it had been recieved and that the error was being looked at. This is what I got:
qa@vx.com
to me, vxsupport
More options 9:25am (2? hours ago)

Version - 10.22
Platform - Windows
OS Version - XP
Severity - A - Database Damage / Core
Priority - A - High Priority
Module - Translators
Submodule - STEP
Status - Open
Keywords - mjl 10.0 step eli
Assigned - VX
Estimated Resolution - NYS - Not Yet Scheduled
Short Description: STEP import crashes VX
Diary:

===== Diary Created By eli.slater@gmail.com on Fri Nov 5 09:24:27 2004 =====

STEP import crashes VX
The translator get to: "Referencing Process completed" then VX crashes.

ReplyReply to allForwardInvite qa@vx.com to Gmail

qa@vx.com
to me
More options 10:37am (1? hours ago)
- Show quoted text -

Version - 10.22
Platform - Windows
OS Version - XP
Severity - A - Database Damage / Core
Priority - A - High Priority
Module - Translators
Submodule - STEP
Status - Open

Keywords - mjl 10.0 step eli 10.xcritical
Assigned - VX
Estimated Resolution - Pending
Short Description: STEP import crashes VX
Diary:

===== Diary Created By eli.slater@gmail.com on Fri Nov 5 09:24:27 2004 =====

STEP import crashes VX
The translator get to: "Referencing Process completed" then VX crashes.

===== Diary Updated By VX on Fri Nov 5 10:37:14 2004 =====
Estimated Resolution changed from NYS - Not Yet Scheduled to Pending

Assigned to VX Development

Keywords changed from mjl 10.0 step eli to mjl 10.0 step eli 10.xcritical

The description of the error is correct, so i can only assume that somebody got it.

Eli

Message 22 of 30

05-11-2004 12:27 . pm | View his/her posts only
Also Chris,
With regard to the screenshot that you posted above...it comes through as corrupted on my end, so i can't view it.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 23 of 30

05-11-2004 02:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

Yes, the file is in safe hands

What you have received is an automatic e-mail of the PCR (Product Change Request) diary. The PCR system is used to log and track the progress of bug reports and enhancement requests.

Not sure why that screenshot gets corrupted at your end - is this true of all the images "embedded" in forum threads? I will add the image as a downloadable attachment.

Steve

Message 24 of 30

05-11-2004 02:56 . pm | View his/her posts only
The screen shot also doesn't show up here.

Eli

Message 25 of 30

05-11-2004 04:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
Chris,
I just used a different browser to see if the screenshot will come through, and that did not help.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 26 of 30

05-11-2004 10:23 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi

I have attached the screenshot to the thread. Also, replaced it with a gif - can you view the gif OK?

Eli

Message 27 of 30

06-11-2004 02:18 . am | View his/her posts only
Ahhhh...ok, yes, that does indeed make some sense now. Unfortunately, despite this, the program responded by crashing on me. I've been working on this model for some time now with the error, so I think I've pretty much gotten used to it...annoying as it is. The moral of the stor is that I've learned my lesson with regards to deleting thigs willy-nilly from the history.
-Eli

ChrisWard2k2

Message 28 of 30

06-11-2004 05:29 . am | View his/her posts only
OK Eli

Depending on the contents of your file and their dependancies, it is possible that Root Object copying of the Objects to a new, empty VX file will remove the error. Can you screen-capture a copy of your RootObjects list for me to see?

Eli

Message 29 of 30

06-11-2004 11:02 . am | View his/her posts only
Ok, here is a capture of my RootObjects list for you. As you can see there are only three parts in that list, as most of the model resides in the boat itself "WiderOffset001 part"
-Eli

ChrisWard2k2

Message 30 of 30

07-11-2004 03:18 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

OK, pretty innocent looking file........

It is very important to ensure that all your Objects have unique names. If you use the automatic system names, Part001, Part002 etc, you will soon have multiple objects across multiple files where the Objects have identical names. This is guaranteed to cause confusion at sometime in the future.

Back to the main problem, it is possible that a Root Object copy of the Objects into a brand new, empty VX File will help (does not always make a telling difference, but worth trying).

Attached is a PDF that shows step-by-step how to achieve this - it's easy, and relatively painless

See also