CAD/CAM discussion forum > ZW3D CAD > A model Library is a great idea...

A model Library is a great idea...

Paul

Message 1 of 14

A model Library is a great idea...
02-05-2014 02:47 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Guys, the Library is a great idea.
But items that cannot be downloaded as native ZW3D files are NOT library items. They are gallery items.

If you want to be taken seriously only put downloadables in the library. Anything else is a joke.
The sooner you remove the gallery ones the better.
Cheers - Paul

Stephan

Message 2 of 14

02-05-2014 11:02 . pm | View his/her posts only
+1

and another joke is that the min. chars for a post is 10! 2 chars is "too short" - what????

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 3 of 14

02-05-2014 11:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 1# mudcrab

What appears to be only images and not *.z3 files has confused me also. Initially when I looked at the library I saw that all models could be viewed, some models were downloadable as a *.z3, and others were not. I then followed the link to submitting a CAD model to the library and the instructions stated that a *.z3 plus an an image file must be submitted. I agree that the normal expectation of a CAD library is that you can download the contents. ??

Mirko

Assistant Engineer

Message 4 of 14

03-05-2014 12:28 . am | View his/her posts only
in Italy we have not yet the official release, I figured the library with non-native designs further encouragement to change software!

Luky

Assistant Engineer

Message 5 of 14

03-05-2014 05:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
[Quote] in Italia non abbiamo ancora ... mirko72 Post at 2014/05/03 00:28 [/ quote]
Noi siamo sempre gli ultimi !! speriamo questa settimana la rilascino

ZWSOFT Wing524

Message 6 of 14

04-05-2014 05:24 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by Wing at 2014-5-4 17:27

All the designs in the library were 100% created in ZW3D. Most of them were from the ZW3D design challenges held in each year. The copy right of the Z3 files is belong to the creators. The ones with Z3 files are free for anybody to access. We will try our best to open more files for download.

Paul

Message 7 of 14

04-05-2014 07:31 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Wing,
regardless of the origin and copyright, if they are NOT available for download in Z3 format then they still NOT library items.
Move them to the Gallery.
When you have permission to make them available to download add to the Library.
It's not that hard to understand.

IMO If the model is not a decent piece of modeling it has little merit being in a library. That doesn't stop it being useful in a gallery.

FYI: I have downloaded a number interesting looking GradCad models only to discover they are junk modelling. Rendering disguises the lack of accuracy, fit or detail that useful models have. They are crude art at best.
The other thing you often see is imported geometry being reused. Again, it has no place in a library.
If you want people to contribute serious Z3 models, then offer some sort of points credit that reduces their license cost or some such incentive to either pass on existing models or create some good new stuff. Make it worth while contributing but make sure you set a quality standard that makes models worth downloading.
If you payz nothing you getz nothing.
Cheers
Paul

Stephan

Message 8 of 14

04-05-2014 09:13 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Wing,
regardless of the origin and copyright, if they are NOT available for download in Z3 format then they still NOT library items.
Move them to the Gallery.
When you have permission to make them available to download add to the Library.
+1
It's not that hard to understand.
I often get the feeling that the east-asian way of thinking and of communicating differs A LOT from the way of thinking of "western" companies. I hope ZWSoft understands that not as negative critisism but as a positive challenge. We want to be heard, understood and also given that feeling :)
They are crude art at best.
Actually... do you really reuse library items in your professional design? I would never trust public cad-libraries like that. I always thought about it as mere demo objects or maybe decoration objects for when u want to present your own design and decorate it with these objects if fitting but nothing more.

ZWSOFT Wing524

Message 9 of 14

05-05-2014 10:51 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi all, thanks for your suggestion. We will soon open all files in the library for free download. At that time, it will become a true library.

I totally agree that we should provide the high quality models for the users. Rome wasn't built in a day. Now the library is open for people to submit ZW3D models. The qualified entries will be rewarded with cash. The library will be better and better with your help and assistance.

Your voices are always valuable to us which can make our works better. It is very nice to know your thoughts. I hope we can work together and make ZW3D better.

Good day!^_^

Paul

Message 10 of 14

05-05-2014 12:28 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Wing,
Thank you for the update. Seems like a solid response.
I am not convinced cash is the correct incentive to offer. Need to think about of the implications. Another challenge is assigning a value?
My suggestion of credits towards an annual maintenance license upgrade is likely to encourage existing users to put forward models that will make the jump into the public domain at no risk of commercial loss or advantage.
There are many ways of doing this. The key is to reward genuine skill and quality in a way that motivates contribution.

Perhaps the best method of validation is a User Quality rating for each item. This makes the ranking drive the value. Then ZW is not encumbered with this task, merely to administer.

I am looking forward to the library becoming of value to every user.
Cheers

William

Top Influencer

Message 11 of 14

05-05-2014 03:29 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 10# mudcrab

I think Paul must has many good models can be uploaded to Library, we wish that. JJJJJJ

Dave

Message 12 of 14

08-05-2014 01:53 . am | View his/her posts only
I agree with both Paul and Stephan. A library to me is similar to a Toolbox (SolidWorks)or what I download from the Manufacturer whose parts I want to use in a design. Library models carry an expectation of accuracy as they are expected to be used in designs.

The thought of remuneration makes me very uncomfortable for library parts.

I think if someone has a design they are proud of, they might want to place it in a Gallery for people to see (good advertising?) and if appropriate to make it downloadable, to learn from (?). Designs in a gallery are not intended to be utilized in people's designs, although ideas might be. As Stephan, I believe rightly points out, I am very leery of using non-manufacturers models as I don't know how they were constructed or how accurate they are.

DaveD

Paul

Message 13 of 14

14-08-2014 06:47 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Wing,
I just downloaded a model of an automotive seat to check out hte modelling method. To my disgust every part is a imported data! Why is it in the library.
The library needs a user review ranking system. Downloads in meaningless info. Likes is OK but dislike needs to be there too.
This is not facebook or some social media thing, we are serious people trying to learn and succeed in the real world. Wasting our time with non ZW models is outright offensive.
As it stands at the moment, the library is difficult to get any value out of. And it is deceptive.
Sorry for this outburst of hysteria, but if you are serious about a library then make it authentic and provide for some very real customer feedback options.
It also needs a number code for each model and a search option to find models by code. The code should also appear in the model file name when downloaded. Dimple stuff - but tht's waht is needed.

Cheers - Paul

ZWSOFT Wing524

Message 14 of 14

18-08-2014 01:44 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Some of the models are imported then edited in ZW3D. Of course, we also encourage users to upload their ZW3D drawings which are 100% created in ZW3D. Paul, would you like to share your models?

^_^

Cheers~!
See also