CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Importing of Step IGES and Parasolid assemblies

Importing of Step IGES and Parasolid assemblies

Steve

Message 1 of 12

Importing of Step IGES and Parasolid assemblies
05-11-2004 01:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
It seems as though VX isn't totally aware of assemblies properly, expecially in step and parasolid files.

While Step files seem to properly seperate individual objects, but doesn't place them in the proper relationship that they should.
Iges files import properly in relationship to each other properly, but VX doesn't create seperate objects for them.
Parasolid, well... It doesn't even import the file I have. It says there are NO solids in the file. While I know there are. I've got ProDesktop/express(used to be a free product from PTC) which properly imports the assembly. Attached is the parasolid from Solidworks 2003, and saved as a version 12.1 parasolid.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 12

05-11-2004 01:46 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

Sounds like you are not having too much fun with your imports

1) The STEP import has a small bug which I hope can be fixed soon.

2) IGES does not "understand" the notion of assemblies, it was really designed for single-body description but can contain multiple bodies.

3) I will try your parasolids file. Parasolids is of course a kernel, not a file format, and so different interpretations by different parasolids-based software is possible. Thus, each is not producing the parasolids file as a native format i.e. you could define two identical assemblies in different CAD products based on the Parasolids kernel, and their parasolids output could differ. It is not a perfect world.

Steve

Message 3 of 12

05-11-2004 02:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
Chris,
Thanks for the speedy response.... You guys are great!

Yes, the STEP import has some bugs. I figured that out with the 1st Step assembly import I did Unfortunately, it was of a HUGE mold assembly, and the 1st week I was working with VX. Which I get quite often. It imported ALL the objects almost perfectly, created the seperate objects(over 100 of 'em) at the root level, but didn't assemble them correctly. So I had to get into the design far more than I wanted to, creating handles, so I could properly place the objects into A & B half assemblies. It worked, but wasn't an ideal situation. At least it created the seperate objects. Which is one step farther than PowerShape could do. IT doesn't recognize ANY assembly in imported files. So a Step assebly would turn into one HUGE dumb object.

I know that IGES isn't supposed to be used for asseblies, but tell our customers that As the old saying goes, "the customer is always right". And, Solidworks, Pro/E Pro/D, and Unigraphics all support import and export of assemblies in iges. And Ironicly, that's what seems to work best in VX at the moment. While it doesn't create seperate objects at the root level, it does create them at the part level.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 12

05-11-2004 10:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi again Steve

What I should have mentioned is that there is a free download that will create all the Root Objects for you from the IGES Import Part Object

It's called Batch Create and it processes at about 1 second per object.

Could you upload one of your STEP Assembly Files (FTP Public) for the Developers to work with?

FREE DOWNLOADS

Steve

Message 5 of 12

07-11-2004 02:44 . am | View his/her posts only
When I get back to work on monday, I'll upload the step file(it's quite large), and a screenshot of Solidworks showing the properly assembled, assembly.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 12

07-11-2004 03:21 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Steve

Kevin

Message 7 of 12

08-11-2004 04:47 . am | View his/her posts only
Steve is this parasolid file a v14 one? The header file says it is (maybe a bug in SW 2003!!). Can VX handle a v14 parasolid? I can't find info in the help about this (just says it imports parasolid - maybe the help authors could supply a wee bit more detail on this perhaps??).

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 12

08-11-2004 08:13 . am | View his/her posts only
It is difficult, possibly detrimental to state version compatibility numbers for some file types, because their own standard is not distinct. Also, it is possible that the feature(s) that make the difference between, say, format version 1 and format version 1.2, would not cause an import problem (either because of their data type, or because the format spec has been written with some hindsight).

Steve's file is small and contains only a few objects, so hopefully this problem can be addressed swiftly. The Parasolids import capability in VX does rely on a 3rd Party.

Parasolids files are far from perfect, as discussed in this thread already. for example, a UK customer routinely imported parasolids files into VX, and then exported, to get the data into his parasolids-based software, which simply could not import the original files cleanly!

Kevin

Message 9 of 12

08-11-2004 08:58 . am | View his/her posts only
That rings true Chris. I use a toolmaker who uses UG and prefers Parasolid. Generally I use VX to "filter" the format in Parasolid from other apps. Not had any problems with it yet. My comment on the version numbers though is relavent in the sense that I get a lot of exported data sent to me in a lot of different formats. When trying to analyse the errors or reasons why the file won't open the version number of the export does help. Often all that is needed is the originator to re-export using an older format. Most systems export the native kernel in the latest format. I always recommend people export a couple of versions older if the data is going to a non native system. SW is especially sensitive in this area I find.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 12

08-11-2004 12:46 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Yes, your advice is good. I would suggest that all our customers keep a record of the most sucessful types, versions and flavours that they import from their various suppliers/customers. It is often the case that they can supply you with more than one format, so it is best to request more than one . This is better than having to go back to them a few days (weeks?) later to ask for a different format because their first effort was not so good.

Kevin

Message 11 of 12

08-11-2004 01:10 . pm | View his/her posts only
Another export trick I have learned (painfully) over the years is to get the precise steps from a user as how to change the export settings from a particular app. The problem is many users don't know how to export properly or change the default settings (SW users take note!!). At least then if you do have problems you can call them up and talk them through it - further enhancing your reputation in the process!!! (problem then is you start getting calls when they run into operational problems :-))

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 12

08-11-2004 09:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
See also