CAD/CAM discussion forum > ZW3D CAD > History in Assembly

History in Assembly

Ronald

Message 1 of 9

History in Assembly
02-07-2014 07:43 . pm | View his/her posts only

I was wondering why after a regen the components in the history disappear? I have tried to replace some parts that needed changed and cannot replay the assembly to replace the components.

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 2 of 9

02-07-2014 08:44 . pm | View his/her posts only
You didn't provide many details such as which version your using but reading between the lines of your comments I will assume your on 2014. Some changes related to assembly management have been made between 2013 and 2014. In 2014 components no longer are displayed in the History tab. They will only be in the Assembly Manager tab. You mentioned you Regen and the components disappear from History. If you create a new assembly in 2014 as mentioned above you will not see the components in the History at all. If you translate a 2013 assembly in to 2014 you will see the components in the History until you do come combination of Regen and saving.

In regards to replaying history that black replay arrow and it's associated popup you only see at the bottom of the History Manager. It's not there at the bottom of the Assembly Manager. So you need to either go back the the History manager and replay or you play it through the menus by going to Edit/History Operations.

Hope this helps.

Ronald

Message 3 of 9

17-07-2014 07:51 . pm | View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by RonB at 2014-7-17 19:57

I am running 2014. When I am making the assembly for the first time the parts do show in the history tree. After a regen they do disappear. The reason I brought this up is I do a lot for assemblies that I will need to edit parts. I will copy a already finished assembly and paste it to save time. After that I play through the assembly and edit or exchange the parts that need changed. I cannot do this in 2014 because with out the history it will not play through.

William

Top Influencer

Message 4 of 9

18-07-2014 01:54 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 3# RonB

Hi Ronald, if you use ZW3D 2014 to open 2013 file (new assembly mode), the Operation "Insert component, Erase component" will be removed from the history.
2014-07-18_13-52-55.jpg
2014-7-18 13:57

From ZW3D 2014 version, the new assembly mode will not record the operation "Blank, Unblank, Assign layer, Assign color, Insert component, Erase component" any more. You can check the "What's new" document in ZW3D 2014 to get more details.

Regarding exchanging part or suppress component, you can do that from assembly manager.

2014-07-18_13-55-48.jpg
2014-7-18 13:57

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 5 of 9

18-07-2014 08:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Reply 3# RonB

Interesting post. I do want to get to the bottom of this as your not the first user I've run across that feels his functionality related to manipulating assemblies has been reduced in 2014 versus the way it is in 2013.

You commented "After that I play through the assembly and edit or exchange the parts that need changed. I cannot do this in 2014 because with out the history it will not play through"

Not sure why you need to play through the assembly or I'm assuming play through the history to make your changes. From the Assembly Manager you can right click on a part and choose Edit Part. It will temporarily put the history of that part in the History Manager so you can make changes from there. The history of that part you just changed will go away from the History Manager when you Edit another part or go back to the top level of the assembly. As William mentioned you from the Assembly Manager can right click and Edit Part, Open, Change, Insert, and more. The alignments/mates will be displayed in the Assembly Manger so you can redefine and make changes from there.

So if I'm correct and not missing something I seem to be saying that I think you can still make the changes without specifically needing to play your way through them in the History Manager.

But if you do get caught needing to play the history outside the History Manager the you can still play by clicking on Edit/History Operation/Play History.

Hope this helps and that I'm accurately understanding you problem.

Ronald

Message 6 of 9

18-07-2014 11:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
I have tried the change part function and I am getting this, "Components created from pattern operation cannot be replaced." The part that I am trying to replace was not patterned. I am copying an already finished assembly and wanting to replace some components with different ones without loosing what I already have finished. I am trying to save time this way so I do not have to reassemble the same thing with different parts from the start.

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 7 of 9

19-07-2014 12:45 . am | View his/her posts only
We've kinda up to now been talking in general terms so I wasn't sure the the error you described was going to come up or not.

The error you got is a known problem (turned in by me) that has been fixed.

I today got an email saying it's been fixed.

The goal is that the fix will be in 2014 SP (18.10) that is due to be released in about month.

Please note that I said the goal which is something that I have no control over.

You may want to check with your reseller or someone from ZWSOFT tech support might jump into this post with more details.

Paul

Message 8 of 9

19-07-2014 04:52 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Ronald,
Dave is correct. Replace/Change part in broken in first release and can in fact crash ZW.
A faster solution -and since there is no chronological order to assembly any more(replaced with simultaneously solving) is to delete the part and insert the replacement.
Actually it is probably the same number of steps anyway.

What I suggest is that you get familiar with adding constraint Handles to parts - via insert Handles - See Help: Home > ZW3D Modeling > Assembly Design > Tools > Edit Assembly Handles (3D)
Then when inserting the part,it will cycle through the reuqire alignments with the insert part faces/edges etc all ready selected.
What Help doesn't tell you is that the Handle name persists unless you blank it in the part first.
As a rule I always make the insert part the first constraint selection so I know which is which when editing constraints.

You can almost operate in assembly with out using Assembly Manager - RMB selecting parts graphically and choosing edit component from the Icon. The same idea works from 2D as well. RMB the View /Edit Part and you are there directly. Exit will return you to the drawing.

If you have an old assembly that doesn't neatly sort in into the new assembly format, I suggest you start fresh and rebuild it from nothing.

IMO one the 'new' Assembly Manager is understood - it is much better the the old system.

Paul

Message 9 of 9

19-07-2014 05:04 . am | View his/her posts only
And some more Assembly tips:

As you make changes to Components inserted in an assembly you may will see various constraints Error Red. Time to panic...
Many times - there is a flow on effect where one small change seems ot error a lot of constraints.
How to manage this?
Firstly by keeping on the constraint status - you can seen when this occurs.
If you have (Err,Err) constraints - delete them - they are not repairable.

RMB on the most recently changed Component and choose Edit Alignment which will bring up a list of ALL the alignments connect to this item. Check make sure there are correctly directioned and have valid selections. Fix any errors.
FYI - I always turn 'Show Existing Alignments OFF - (this should be Default IMO) and this will make things a lot clearer.

Regen after each change and if you got it right the - 'flow on' errors will vanish.

I also add the Constraint Inquire Button to my Assembly Doc Aware Toolbar 0(again this should be there by Default). This gives you a visual constraint status in a moment and you can see where problems are. You can RMB the Component whilst in Inquire Mode and fix it.
Inquire Constraint Status is very good feature ZW has had for ever but I find many users do not know it exists!

Cheers - Paul
See also