VX Drawings

Kevin

Message 1 of 11

VX Drawings
11-02-2005 10:09 . am | View his/her posts only
The more I use the VX drawings sheet environment the more I see similarities to ThinkDesigns! Not that thats a bad thing you understand but there are some things that will hopefully be added sooner (v11?) rather than later.....if they are not already there of course, buried in some other command!

Things like:

1. Being able to choose or flag which part dimensions get taken into the 2D view environment. Yes you can turn off part dims in the sheet views individually (thanks Chris) but when you edit the part and regenerate the drawing view all the part dimensions come back in. This would be a real timesaver, as well as vastly reducing the need for additional dimensions in the sheet views.

2. Independent line thicknesses in detail views. I can't get the line thickness on detail views to not scale up - eg - say you have a 1:1 part view, and a 3:1 detail view. The lines in the detail view are 3 x thicker. Surely they should be the same thickness as all the other views?

3. Quick cutaway sections - eg - draw a closed spline/rectangle/circle etc on the view, and say - cutaway this section to xxmm depth.

4. Being able to handle standard truetype or Opentype fonts for dimensions and text on drawing sheets.

5. Being able to use perspective in 2D drawing views from saved 3D views in the view manager.

All of these are things are available in all the leading (in terms of volume) 3D systems. They might not be mega features but they are workflow enhancers and improve the quality of the drawing output.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 11

11-02-2005 12:03 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

1) You can choose which dimensions do not go to the 2D layout by blanking them - if you wish, assign these dimensions to a layer, that way they can all be blanked/unblanked as required.

2) Just tried a scaled-up detail view (v10.60) and the line thickness is correct.........

3) Fabulous functionality, a good idea. Currently, to reproduce this effect in VX:

a) Create a new Part Object and insert the Target Part Object as a component.
b) Merge Component.
c) Create the desired cut-out with a boolean subtract.
d) Create a layout view.

4) I think you must be a mind reader, I have this week asked our development team to re-visit this request

5) You can do this in v10.60. Set the view as desired, in perspective (toggle is in the drop-down View Menu), save as a named view, then select that view for placement in your 2D layout.

Kevin

Message 3 of 11

11-02-2005 01:40 . pm | View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: ChrisW
Hi Kevin

1) You can choose which dimensions do not go to the 2D layout by blanking them - if you wish, assign these dimensions to a layer, that way they can all be blanked/unblanked as required.

Right! Thanks Chris, I'll try that.

2) Just tried a scaled-up detail view (v10.60) and the line thickness is correct.........

Sorry, I meant to say, detail views from a section view - the hatch gets scaled up.

3) Fabulous functionality, a good idea. Currently, to reproduce this effect in VX:

a) Create a new Part Object and insert the Target Part Object as a component.
b) Merge Component.
c) Create the desired cut-out with a boolean subtract.
d) Create a layout view.

4) I think you must be a mind reader, I have this week asked our development team to re-visit this request

Great minds......well yours maybe :-)

5) You can do this in v10.60. Set the view as desired, in perspective (toggle is in the drop-down View Menu), save as a named view, then select that view for placement in your 2D layout.

Hmmm. I'm running 10.6 and its not working for me using this method.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 11

11-02-2005 02:30 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi again

2) Scaled Hatch. For some reason, the hatch is displayed as lines in the detail view, hence the thickness. However, you can edit the attributes of these lines to reduce the thickness.

Kevin

Message 5 of 11

12-02-2005 10:38 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, I got the vx support emails. Its a very minor issue really and as you say there is an easy workaround.

Kevin

Message 6 of 11

13-02-2005 07:27 . am | View his/her posts only
No the perspective is definately not working for me

See attached file with part and drawing. I created the ortho view and perspective view using the view manager then added the views to the drawing sheet (see pdf for what I get). Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Kevin

Message 7 of 11

12-11-2005 10:59 . am | View his/her posts only
Just had an email from support at vx saying this issue is still not even listed for a fix date - non urgent - this is from February.

That may be so but I beg to differ. Anything that affects either the quality of the OUTPUT (be it drawings or 3D data) from VX, or requires a user to spend additional time resolving a bug, is and should be marked for a fix. We make our livings by the quality of what we OUTPUT from CAD software, not from the time spent using it. Anything that detracts from that quality is a serious issue.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 11

13-11-2005 12:43 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Was that an email directly from Technical Support, or was it an automated email from the PCR system? You would get an auto-update if the PCR diary has been updated by someone (usually, this will be by a developer who is working on the problem). We do not assign fixed "fix dates" as such - you cannot determine when the problem is going to be fixed until it is investigated, the cause found and the extent of the work needed is estimated - then you need to know when the developer will be available, and then when the QA is available - these can change at the drop of a hat if something else of much greater importance crops up. So, for all except really trivial problems (trivial in terms of the effort needed to fix), it is difficult to know how long that total process is going to be. Every PCR is important, but we must prioritise some over others. This can often mean that a new problem gets fixed and an old problem has to wait.

What is your PCR number?

Kevin

Message 9 of 11

14-11-2005 05:39 . am | View his/her posts only
The diary update says, "assigned to VX development", as it did in February.

VXQA report 16381, which was originally started by yourself on 11th February 2005. The email came from pcra@vx.com.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 11

14-11-2005 06:10 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Well, there you go - it is an automated email (pcra@vx.com) and it is in fact showing you that a developer has been assigned to work on the problem Fri Nov 11 15:42:46

Kevin

Message 11 of 11

14-11-2005 11:38 . am | View his/her posts only
even stranger Chris, just there I had an email saying the issue was fixed......
See also