VX Dimensions

Kevin

Message 1 of 8

VX Dimensions
13-02-2005 07:36 . am | View his/her posts only
Maybe this is possible but I can't figure out how.

I work on jobs at all (physical) sizes. I've got part templates set up for large, medium and small, but what I really want is what I would call a pixel size dimension setting for part modelling. Let me explain.

When I set dimensions to say 2mm high, and the part I model is 10mm across the sketches get very cluttered very quickly with large dims as I zoom in and out. Oddly, the constraint symbols don't because they are pixel sized - so they always stay the same size no matter the zoom level.

What we need (I think) is to make the sketch dimensions and constraint symbols be always a pixel height. This would make them independent of zoom and make working on parts much much easier to navigate without having to resort to blanking and moving dims to layers etc.

As the part dimensions are taken to the 2D sheet views (flagged of course for which ones are actually taken through!) the size they take on is the dimension size attribute set for the sheet.

I think this would be a definite workflow advantage.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 8

13-02-2005 01:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Certainly food for thought. Might not suit everybody though. The dimensions are not a problem when zooming in-out if they are a good size for the geometry, and of course you can change their attributes at any time with regards to this. I think we need to improve the way attributes are applied - you should optionally be able to modify the text height and have everything else scaled accordingly.

Kevin

Message 3 of 8

14-02-2005 04:23 . am | View his/her posts only
I'd certainly agree about the height scaling! Of course if we could use standard fonts this isn't an issue - maybe kill 2 birds with one stone here? As with all good interface implementations this pixel sizing should be optional.

Paul

Message 4 of 8

14-02-2005 05:14 . am | View his/her posts only
I'm still figuring my way thru Sketcher, the paradigm shift thing.
I find the large dimensions annoying since I am used to screen sized regardless of zoom.
So Monkey's idea makes sense. Setting screen point size would work for me.

PS: Does anyone have a config bundle for light background screen, SW style lines, colours etc. they'd like to share?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 8

16-02-2005 08:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chaps

I have uploaded a little program, "DimAtt", that can make fast Dimension Attribute changes, the main thing being that you input a text height and all the other related attribs are automatically scaled to suite.

Additionally, you can also change the colour and dimension standard. DimAtt checks to see if the text size is mm or inch.

Designed to reduce "Sketcher Clutter", you can use DimAtt to set defaults before you dimension, or change all existing dimensions with one click, instantly. The smartest way to use DimAtt is to place two or three dimensions, then adjust their height etc with DimAtt. The changes become the new default for the current Sketch and further Sketches in the same Part Object.

Please note that DimAtt can only be installed to VX v10.51 or v10.60 and up.

FREE DOWNLOAD

Steve

Message 6 of 8

17-02-2005 10:13 . am | View his/her posts only
Chris, you're the best!

and btw, that fineview macro is fabulous! I've used it on the latest mold I've been designing, where NOTHING was straight nor flat. It made it easy to create a user plane based on a view!

Keep up the good work!

John

Message 7 of 8

16-04-2005 03:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris! I've also been frustrated that there wasn't a simple way to change the size of all the dimensions in a sketch. A feature like this should be built into VX!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 8

31-08-2005 10:36 . am | View his/her posts only
For those who have move up to VX v11, there is an updated version DimAtt program (v1.1). This one does the same as before, but in V11 you should find it to be more reliable.

FREE DOWNLOAD
See also