SolidWorks

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 5

SolidWorks
17-05-2005 03:21 . pm | View his/her posts only
  • NO SOLID, NO WORKS so demo VX hybrid modeling
  • Demo with & without constraints
  • Demo imported data handling
  • Stress our End-to-End story. With SolidWorks everything beyond solids is 3rd party

SolidWorks is considered the leading mid-range competitor. It released its first product in 1995. SolidWorks does not have advanced surfacing or built-in manufacturing. It is based on the Parasolids kernel, which limits it to the same core functionality as its competitor SolidEdge. Dassault Systems purchased SolidWorks in 1997. SolidWorks' challenge is to move beyond solid modeling and its present attempt at simple surfacing. Introduction of advanced surfacing in SolidWorks may be impeded not just by its software architecture, but also by issues of product positioning relative to Dassault's high-end/high-priced product line. SolidWorks must also solve fundamental design issues in areas such as drawing generation from 3D parts and assemblies.

Robert

Message 2 of 5

12-01-2006 11:05 . am | View his/her posts only
    According to Jon Banquer (Internet Guru) Solidworks is only useful when importing "a brick" (otherwise, it'll turn into a blob).

Jon believes that VX can correctly import non-native geometry but we can tweak it easily... "very cool"

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 5

10-04-2006 07:00 . pm | View his/her posts only
    As pointed out by UK customer Kevin Quigley, SolidWorks2007 reverse engineering module is a costly upgrade. Given SW's weak surfacing ability, the package is dubious value for money.

Robert

Message 4 of 5

03-09-2006 12:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
    Hello my fellow VXr's

I regret to inform you my self employment business BASED on VX has led me to an 18 month contract I muct use EXCLUSIVELY Solidworks for designing a certain aircraft that shall remain un-named. While the aircraft is exceptional the choice of Solidowrks is not.

I miss my precious VX surface capabilities. Solidworks CAN NOT COME CLOSE to VX for design. They try to but they are years behind. I try and try to convince them (the boss) to use VX BUT!!! They stick with what they have already. And let me tell you. IT SUCKS!!!

I always took for granted how powerful VX was until I had to work without it.

Gotta pay the bills though.

CNCSURF

PS don't tell them I cheat and use VX when they aren't looking.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 5

27-03-2007 05:40 . am | View his/her posts only
    "One client of mine went to the expense of PURCHASING ME a license of solidworks 2007 just so he could keep native data that was useless anyway. And I don't mind bragging I am an expert in solidworks, but SW doesn't come close to the power and flexibility of VX. "

cncsurf
    See also