CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Printing Changes

Printing Changes

John

Message 1 of 7

Printing Changes
07-07-2005 11:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
I recently upgraded from 10.84 (I think) to 10.94 and noticed that printing now behaves very differently than before. It used to be that I'd get a white background when I printed, which is exactly what I wanted. Now the background color of the screen is printed on the entire page. How do I go back to getting my drawings printed out on a white background?

-- John

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

08-07-2005 01:22 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi John

There has been no change to the way printing works. VX automatically uses a white background for printing, when the 2D Layout consists of "standard" vector-based views. However, if you have a model-wireframe, shaded or fast hidden-line view, VX has to print the drawing as a bitmap, and that will include the background at what ever colour you currently have on screen. For this situtation, you need to change your background colour to white via Utilities/Configuration/Background.

John

Message 3 of 7

08-07-2005 06:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
That helps, or at least partly. I am using fast hidden line view. I keep trying to use the normal hidden line view, but it doesn't work. What I mean is that I open the attributes dialog, click on the hidden line icon, then click on the OK button. The screen redraws, however the mode doesn't change for the object. If I open the attributes dialog again, it still shows the previous setting. I can set wireframe, shaded, or fast hidden line, but I can't get hidden line to take. I never had this problem with previous versions. Any suggestions?

-- John

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 7

10-07-2005 04:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi John

I have seen FHL views "stick" like this myself, clearly a bug but hard to tie it down because, as you may find, eventually it will "un-stick". However, the most effective solution is to erase the view and replace it. The FHL views are there to use when it is impossible to get a view (or at least a good enough view) with the standard hidden line option. A lot of VX customers are mold toolmakers and they often receive very poor geometry from their customers - the standard hidden line views are pretty robust but they can fail when the model geometry is bad. Fast Hidden Line can produce a hidden line view from practically anything, but, as with most things in life, sacrifices are made.

In a later version 11, we are introducing the ability to associate User-defined geometry with a view. This means that if you need to clean-up a view because the system has been unable to solve part if it, your entities will be become part of that view and will not be lost should the view be moved for example.

John

Message 5 of 7

12-07-2005 01:52 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hmmmm. Well, I switched to fast hidden line removal in the first place because whenever I created a new drawing and inserted my part using regular hidden line removal, nothing at all showed up, not even labels. I have to set the drawing model to wireframe before I can insert my parts into a drawing. At this point I'm unable to change to regular hidden line mode. This is getting pretty frustrating. I didn't have these problems in previous versions. Any suggestions?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 7

13-07-2005 06:33 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi John

When a 2D Layout view fails completely, it is almost always something to do with an error in the model. If you have to set the model to wireframe view before you can even do a regular 2D Layout, then there is something wrong within your model. Things that can affect the hidden line solve are "bad" faces (e.g., bow-tied end cap faces), coincident faces/duplicate faces (if the model has multiple bodies rather than multiple components and there are coincident faces between the bodies), faces with surface normal faults (e.g., inside-out faces).

Mike

Message 7 of 7

18-07-2005 07:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
John,

It sounds like it is time to send a file into VX. Like Chris said there are a lot of factors that can give you unwanted results in a drawing view but there are also a lot of options. Is this particular drawing of an assembly or a solid model? Are there multiple solids in the part object?
See also