CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Struggling with morphing

Struggling with morphing

Kevin

Message 1 of 3

Struggling with morphing
08-10-2005 05:57 . am | View his/her posts only
Recently I've taken on a project which is turning into a nightmare, trying to model very organic forms, but having to have strict control over split lines as the customer needs to use simple tooling. On the face of it the morph tools would appear to offer exactly the modelling power I need but the reality is that they are pretty hard to control precisely. I can get more or less the shapes I need by morphing base shapes, but how, for example do you define a split then ensure that the morphed shape is drafting correctly?

The one redeeming feature of Think Design's GSM was that it had a draft GSM mode where you define the split surface and say, draft everything away from this. It may well be possible to achieve this in VX but I can't figure out how!

On another note, the more I use these kinds of tools in VX and other apps the more I realise this is the way for a lot of industrial design work. Last week I saw a couple of demos (and tried it myself so they do work) for SensAble Concept modeller and ImpactXoft Styler (which is based on the CATIA generative surfaces module). From a concept point of view this stuff is way ahead of the rest (esp. the CATIA stuff albeit at a price). Being able to start with a base form and push it into shape and add features is the way to go and completely gets rid of the issues with ensuring blends are G2.

VX seems to have a lot of these features built in, so perhaps its just the interface that needs sorting? VX Developers, if you haven't seen the CATIA stuff do take a look at the demos!!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 3

08-10-2005 02:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

In v11, set your display attrib to zebra strip to quickly review the faces on the fly, or use the face analysis tool set to isophote to specifically check the draft. Split the faces at the split line and lock the faces on one side of it, morph the other side. The morph curve to curve command gives very precise shape changes.

Kevin

Message 3 of 3

09-10-2005 02:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, I'll have a play with that. I knew there would be a way in VX!
See also