Version 12 filleting

Paul

Message 1 of 7

Version 12 filleting
06-01-2006 04:43 . pm | View his/her posts only
I am curious about the version 12 filleting, and how well this is progressing.

If you should need any real world practice files I'm sure we could set you up.

I explored this topic back in August. This is our number one CAD issue, so it is definitely worth bringing up on occasion. With the Forging industry we deal with all kinds of curvature and radii.

It will be nice if VX is progressing closer to being able to find filleting solutions for areas that we now can spend upwards of a half day on.

In terms of pure solids VX seems to be able to handle nearly everything.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

07-01-2006 05:59 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul

We have a comprehensive internal report about the enhancement of VX's model filleting. Not suprisingly, it is one of the most mathematically demanding areas of the VX program code and this has to evolve over time - we can't just decide that we will code a specific solution for a specific fillet case for a specific VX version - if everyone already knew the answers, there wouldn't be any limitations in the first place.

Certain fillet cases are simply unsupported at the moment, but other fillet failures are due to the relationship of the geometry to be filleted. When you hit a "cannot fillet this" problem in your model, and you have tried reducing/increasing the computational tolerance and all reasonable combinations of the fillet options without success, isolate the area of geometry concerned (e.g. export it as a VXN file) and via a marked-up screenshot, tell your Reseller's Technical Support Team exactly what you wish to acheive.

Mike

Message 3 of 7

11-01-2006 06:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Paul,
This is my fault for speculating on a version for release.
It is unclear at the present time when the new engine will be available. I have not seen it yet myself. We always test against custmer files and I know we have some of yours already.
Thanks for everyone's patients; it will be worth the wait.

Robert

Message 4 of 7

12-01-2006 11:23 . am | View his/her posts only
here's the deal, Version 12 has lots of enhanced functionality based upon our existing filleting engine.

Version 13 will sport the first release of the completely new filleting engine. We decided to delay the release to ensure that the product stays stable and reliable.

Paul

Message 5 of 7

12-01-2006 11:43 . am | View his/her posts only
Thank you for the update on the new filleting engine's release.

It's a little disappointing that this will not be released in version 12, but if this ruins the software stability I'm so glad that it will not be included in the next release.

If you are able to make a vast improvement in filleting I wouldn't mind being a reseller myself, your product would literally sell itself.

Even though we struggle with filleting issues, that was the primary reason in which we went with this software in the 1st place.

I am glad that you do use customer models to test out the product. We do have some models that are created solely in VX, based off of sketches and solids that seem like the radii should fall in, but fail with only partial results with intelligent blend. These are the type of models that would be good to use in testing.

Paul

Message 6 of 7

02-02-2006 12:44 . am | View his/her posts only
Greetings fellow filleters,
As Chris knows I am VERY keen to see more fillet cases supported.
I am involved in casting design and have even kept much design to simple geometric derivatives in an effort to beat the failed fillet issues. This is a pity since VX is outstanding in delivering beatiful form. However, even applying simplicity, I have found a number of unsupported fillet cases that definitely should be 'walk in the park' items. Interestingly, creating identical geometry in SW2004 and filleting shows it aint just a VX issue. However it is often the case that what worked fine in VX fails in SW, and vice versa.

The new fillet engine might include more dialogue when a fillet difficulty is encountered. Clues as to what is wrong would be great. So would the option to redefine, before the completion of the task, with out loosing all the selections or the fillet completely, etc.as occurs when the Partial Results window comes up.

What is most frustrating (in any software) is seeing a preview then watching it vanish. Is there anyway to have a real time validating preview process that shows the parts of a fillet that are good and the parts that are not to be shown as such? Green for Go, Red for No...

Roll on V13. Oh no, the Microwsoft disease, Futureware!

Cheers to all

Robert

Message 7 of 7

04-02-2006 04:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Almost all commands in Version 12 support a redefine with your old values if/when a command fails so even with our current filleting engine, you'll be able to experiment without having to retype from scratch.

I'm not sure we're keen on adding more functionality to the previewing as it already seems to dramatically slow down certain operations.
See also