CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Logo's In Drawing Sheet Templates

Logo's In Drawing Sheet Templates

Nick

Message 1 of 17

Logo's In Drawing Sheet Templates
31-01-2006 07:36 . am | View his/her posts only
Can anyone tell me the best way to get a logo into a drawing sheet template.
I will need to print the template in B&W.
Tried a few things but none of the results were really up to the job.
I'm sure lots of folk have been here before so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Paul

Message 2 of 17

31-01-2006 12:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
I'll tell you what we occasionally do, and it's quite a workaround.

We will save the image as a JPEG or BMP.
Then we go into utility/configuration
We check the option to enable background image, and select the JPEG.
With this image in the background we trace around the background image, taking care not to zoom in or out because that messes up the scale of the background image.

I'm assuming that you can't convert your logo to a DXF, because that would make things a lot easier.

Anyone have a better solution?

Nick

Message 3 of 17

31-01-2006 03:12 . pm | View his/her posts only
I've tried the jpeg background route, you've obviously got more patience than me.

As I can't justify buying Art Cam (yet) I found a free raster/vector converter (DXF) and this with a bit of tidying up has got me a logo into VX.
I'm still having problems getting it into a drawing sheet that I can print off in B&W (hidden line) but progress has been made.

Just spoken to Mike At IDS and he tells me V12 will take jpegs etc in and convert them and to prove a point he's doing my logo now and he says it's come in much cleaner than with my third party translator. Good man.

Anymore hints will be gratefully received as would V12.

Thanks.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 17

31-01-2006 07:38 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello chaps

Also in the Beta of v12 (Functions in the Beta version may not necessarily make it into the released version) is the capability to place a bitmap image (bmp, jpg etc) directly into the drawing - that might be an option for the logo.

With regards to the raster-to-vector conversion, the quality of the result depends on the quality of the image. jpg images are not the best choice here because they are highly compressed. This makes the image "fuzzy". The human eye compensates so you think you have a crisp clear image but in digital terms you do not - a "black" background for example can actually be made of many near-black colours. So, the best choices are non-compressed or loss-less formats such as bmp and tif.

Steve

Message 5 of 17

01-02-2006 04:55 . pm | View his/her posts only
Soo.... Speaking of 12. When do ya think we can expect it?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 17

01-02-2006 07:08 . pm | View his/her posts only
oooow, top secret! v12 is currently going through QA and, with the best will in the world, it would be rash to give a release date at the moment. It is looking very very good, but we want it to be better. One thing is certain though - you are going to like it!

Steve

Message 7 of 17

02-02-2006 04:05 . am | View his/her posts only
I've heard some rumors about maybe smart fasteners? A few better moldmaking tools? <pretty please!>

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 17

02-02-2006 05:47 . am | View his/her posts only
It is true that Mold is improved vastly with a new module designed by industry experts in Europe. There are sensible improvements all round. Everybody at VX is working hard to get the quality right - if something does not make the grade, it can't be included in the release. Speculation over what's in and what's not does not help anyone, so I ask all to please be patient with us. We have always delivered fantastic value for your money, that is one thing that has not changed.

Steve

Message 9 of 17

02-02-2006 10:25 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris. Yes, I understand the reluctance to say much about new features and such. Or a concrete release date. But I do appreciate the reassurance about the mold tools!

Robert

Message 10 of 17

04-02-2006 04:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve,

The new fastener (and Mold) library employs technology jointly developed by VX and our friends at Antares in Italy. I doubt that it will be "production" ready for Version 12 but we might be able to sneak you a beta version.

We took a lot of heat for releasing Version 10 with some instabilities so we've altered our QA process to include more automated and internal hands-on testing. This naturally slows down our releases but should ensure greater stability and reliability for our customers.

Steve

Message 11 of 17

04-02-2006 06:44 . pm | View his/her posts only
If it's not production ready in 12, I'd *REALLY REALLY REALLY* appreciate a beta. Who/what do I have to beg borrow or steal for this?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 17

06-02-2006 04:32 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

......but what do you want the beta for exactly? It cannot be used for your production work as most likely commands that you use will be tweeked/database modified and thus the actual released version would not be able to read the beta-produced files.

Steve

Message 13 of 17

06-02-2006 07:23 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well, what a way to ruin my day Chris. Way to go!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 14 of 17

06-02-2006 08:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
and it all started with a logo

Nick

Message 15 of 17

07-02-2006 10:34 . am | View his/her posts only
Well I got the logo in OK so I suppose that's the end of this thread.

Now, what about a very simple no brainer viewer like the e drawings program.
Every one of my customers needs one of these ASAP. Most struggle to install the VX software let alone find their way round it. All they want to do is spin a few models round and print the odd pic.

Modeling is easy with VX it's getting my designs to the customers (packaging buyers) thats the problem. They all love spinny 3D things, I can't belive how many of our competitors still use 2D for presentations, but so long as they do we keep winning more work.

Anything in the pipeline chaps.

Kevin

Message 16 of 17

07-02-2006 03:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
Yes, once you have used edrawings you get kind of spoiled a bit.....but for those of us that made the switch there are alternatives for the 3D side at least.

try this one, to convert your stl files into viewable files:

http://www.modelpress.com/

There are others but I've used this and it seems OK. I do hope Adobe manage to sort out the 3D side in Acrobat as this will be the best answer of all.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 17 of 17

07-02-2006 06:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello chaps

Back to the original subject (logo in VX Template), please ensure that your Templates.VX file is squeaky clean (if there is anything wrong with it, the fault could be carried across to the files based on it. Never ignor a warning or error message!

It is a good idea to ensure that the geometry in Templates.VX is independent of any other file - no symbols from other files (2D) or components from other files (3D).
See also