CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Rib Network Question

Rib Network Question

Kevin

Message 1 of 11

Rib Network Question
10-03-2006 11:54 . am | View his/her posts only
I have been attempting to apply a rib network (I've not used the tool for a while so I can't remember if it is correct -the online help is a bit vague). My understanding of the tool was that if I wanted a cross like network I could draw 2 lines (for the centres of the ribs) and use the command to specify the rib thickness, draft and boundary faces. In 11.6 there is no option to specify thickness. The help appears to indicate that you have to draw the rib thickness in the profile (so the for cross rib I would draw a double line effectively). Is this correct? If so it is a seriously flawed interface and a pretty pointless command.

What you should be able to do is draw lines to mark the centrelines of the ribs, apply the command and say, make these lines X mm thick, draft angle X deg., and these are the boundary faces. It is relatively easy to constrain single lines but a complex double line network is asking for trouble.

I've also not been having much joy with the standard rib tool in 11.6 either. All ribs seem to be created at 90 degrees to where I would expect. Is anyone using these tools?

Hopefully I've got it wrong but if not, this is one for getting right for 12.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 11

10-03-2006 06:44 . pm | View his/her posts only
hi Kevin

The rib network command does not, in v11, allow the centerlines to be intersecting. You can use it to, say, make the Y direction ribs first and then run again to make the intersecting X direction ribs. In fact, you will find that in many cases the standard extruded boss command will do the job exstremely well and it is a bit easier to understand what is going on too.

The single rib tool is not for defining ribs in the plan view - with this tool, you are defining it's shape looking on the side view. Draw the side profile of the rib as a sketch on the rib's centerline (does not need to be a closed profile!), then run the rib command to flesh it out quickly to the thickness required, drafted and booleaned to adjacent walls.

Kevin

Message 3 of 11

11-03-2006 07:25 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris,

I have attached a simple test file that shows a "typical" ribbing scenario (OK the actual ribs are rubbish but you will get the idea). The successful ribs were done using the standard extrude/boss tool from an open profile with thickness, draft and boundary options - more or less perfect. The other sketch was attempted using the rib network unsuccessfully. Nothing crosses in this sketch. The thing I can't understand (well 2 things) is:

1. This is a classic rib network scenario - why can't I add thickness to the ribs using this command - why do I have to draw the double lines to get this to work, when the standard extrude tool works fine?

2. What is the point in the rib network tool? Are there any scenarios it can handle that the standard extrude doesn't?

From my point of view (and from experience of other software with rib commands) you mainly wish to draw the centre lines and give it a thickness during the command. Crossing profiles (even if trimmed in the sketch) should work. It just seems to me like a badly thought out tool, interface wise.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 11

11-03-2006 11:41 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

I have to agree with you, the rib network command simply is not strong enough at the moment, you should be able to use it with sketch lines that intersect. When the developers have got that sorted, it will then be a better choice than the std boss command.

Vance

Message 5 of 11

15-03-2006 12:48 . pm | View his/her posts only
I tried your test file in V12. Network of ribs worked as you would expect. (It has a Thicken input in V12) In V12, Network of Ribs also works with intersecting ribs. I added a lengthwise rib intersecting several of your ribs in the test file. Worked great.

Kevin

Message 6 of 11

15-03-2006 02:42 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks dude. Good to know v12 has it sorted seeing as I've just renewed my maintenance :-) Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Tim

Message 7 of 11

16-03-2006 10:31 . am | View his/her posts only
V11 should work if you make the intersecting parts separate sketches. The thickness input is a "hidden" field. Yes, that is annoying which is why it is changing for 12.

To clarify, the two sketches (one line each) can be mere centerlines. The idea was that you make one sketch the x centerlines and another the y or one the circular and several others the radials.

Well, in 12 you should be able to cram them all into one sketch. Also, if you still choose to use distinct sketches you can annotate them with whatever thickness you like (similar to shell's face annotation).

Enjoy.

Tim

Message 8 of 11

16-03-2006 10:38 . am | View his/her posts only
Well I just ran it in old 12 (same as 11 I hope) and got it to work. Again, that thicken deal is "hidden" so look on the command line right after you pick the "sticks".

DT

Tim

Message 9 of 11

16-03-2006 10:39 . am | View his/her posts only
So post here if you are still having trouble w/ 11.x with this info.

Kevin

Message 10 of 11

16-03-2006 01:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
I'll try this tomorrow Doc. I should have known it would have been a hidden feature ;-)

Reminds me of Think Design......Associative GSM was built in from the start but never revealed in the interface unless you typed in an command string....VERY user friendly :-(

Tim

Message 11 of 11

16-03-2006 02:32 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well, there is a prompt, but nothing on the form.
Yes, it's annoying.
See also