Tip Angle of a Blind Hole

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 4

Tip Angle of a Blind Hole
08-04-2006 12:05 . pm | View his/her posts only
Is there a way to change how a blind hole is made so the entered depth is from the "tip" instead of edge of the cylinder?
Example: A standard drill has a 118 deg angle as I'm sure everybody is familiar with. When a toolmaker is manually drilling a hole in a block he zeros the drill by the tip against the surface of the block. Typically I don't care what the distance is from the tip to the start of the cylinder, I just want modeled hole to accurately match the actual hole without having to seperately add in the height of the tip.

Thanks,
Steve

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

12-04-2006 09:23 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

There is not a really easy way to do this for just the occasional hole, although you could have a library of "hole solids" to subtract instead of using the hole wizard or, you could temporarily offset the target base face. Essentially, we have got it wrong in our hole wizard - when cutting blind holes, the depth of the hole usually includes the tip. I'm pretty sure I have a PCR on this subject.

Now, arriving soon is a new Mold Tool Library Module, and that introduces an atomatic hole wizard that gets the depth correct, across a number of seperate objects, never mind just the one.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 4

12-04-2006 01:58 . pm | View his/her posts only
Good to hear, thanks.

I have another question on the hole feature. If I am making a series of holes in a block that has a face a two levels, lets say one is offset .500" below the other. With the hole feature I cannot make hole on both faces in the same command since the hole is forced to stay on the selected face. A way around this I have found is to create a datum plane on the face and select that in the hole feature command instead of the actual face of the part. This works ok but it an extra step that seems like it should be unnecessary. I am currently running 11.3, I had problems loading 11.6 and haven't had time do download 11.8 or 12 yet.
Is there anything in the works, or already in newer versions that allows the hole feature command to place a hole in a surface other than the one selected?
OR is there a preferred method to accomplish this?

Thanks again.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

12-04-2006 03:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

Using a plane in that way for through holes is an effective method, especially if you define a Sketch on the plane to make target center points for the holes (v12 ReadySketch has some pre-defined for you) - you then have accurate hole positions that can be easily modified at any time by simply adjusting the Sketch dimensions. Since the plane is automatically anchored to the model face, changes to the model size, face posn etc are also covered well. Perhaps needs more thought for blind holes, depends on the circumstances.
See also