Newbe question

Ira

Message 1 of 13

Newbe question
04-05-2006 07:35 . pm | View his/her posts only
Having worked in Cadkey and now KeyCreator for 15 years I am not accustomed to working in a parametric program.
My first question is: why am I able to move my sketch when it is fully constrained? All dimensions are in place and I have an anchor point. If I inquire the constraints it tells me that it is fully constrained.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I think VX rocks with surfaces and I know there will be many more questions.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 13

04-05-2006 08:41 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi SolidCad

Well, the answer is a question - why should your CAD tool impose such a limitation?

VX gives you the freedom to design, without imposing unecessary restrictions on the way you work.

In your example, the Sketch is paramatised about a datum point - there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to change your mind about where that point should be Also, you can have more than one shape in your Sketch - try the Ready Sketches to learn more (they are mostly dimensioned and constrained, the "clutter" is blanked).

Ira

Message 3 of 13

05-05-2006 07:28 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, I understand what you are saying. Since I come from a non-parametric world, I guess that I thought that everything was always constrained. I'm glad it's not, but I thought I was missing something.

Thanks again

Paul

Message 4 of 13

08-05-2006 02:54 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi SolidCad, yeap, you are missing something.

Its called time on the job with VX. Most everyone has come from somewhere to VX. Just for your comfort it has take me quite a long time (I'd be reluctant ot admit just how long) to get a handle on Sketcher. Yet it is very powerful when nmastered.. However, as I have unlearnt and relearnt, I find it hard to go backwards.

So, welcome to the curve. It's up from here for a while!!!

Cheers

Ira

Message 5 of 13

08-05-2006 12:43 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the welcome mudcrab, I kind of figured it would be a uphill battle, especially for an old dog like me. Never working in parametrics will be my biggest battle to overcome.
The main reason for coming in to VX is the strong surfacing ability and the user interface.
My next question is can a nurbs spline be parametricaly restrained by controlling the knots? The way it sounds the surface I create with a nurbs spline can be controlled dimensionaly. Is this true?

Thanks for the insight and help.

Paul

Message 6 of 13

08-05-2006 06:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi SolidCad,
some others of us are old fellas too.

You can do a spline and when you are happy with it, choose auto constrain and the reference point and whammo all the knots are dimensioned.
For my self, I don't do this until I have dragged everything to where I want. The line modification tools, (highlit line, RMB, modify) are very good, and become easier with practice. If you play the piano then the fancy finger moves will be easier. I find control point curves easier to manage than through point.

If you auto constrain then later on discover you have too many dimensions to manage, (very likely) you can set you pick filter to dimensions only, select the lot and delete and start again.
Tip: Using the pick filter grab just what you want before starting an edit, is a good technique. Just remember to revert it back to select all when finished the op.

Cheers

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 13

11-05-2006 03:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
Solid CAD
Thanks again for coming to the Ann Arbor, MI seminar and your subsequent purchase of VX Designer.
Let's meet soon for a Go-To-Meeting, we can do some VX Q & A.
Matt T.

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 13

11-05-2006 03:45 . pm | View his/her posts only
mudcrab

The new Ready/Sketch in VX 12 is a significant new enhancement in VX Sketcher and can be extremely helpful and easy to use in many VX sketch applications.

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 13

12-05-2006 11:27 . pm | View his/her posts only
A few guidelines when sketching in VX to help you get better results:

1) Sketch the profile of your design intent
2) Add critical dimensions and/or constraints per your design intent (however do not change dimension values yet)
3) Auto constrain before you change dimension values.
4) Edit/change dimensions as required

In training new users, one of the biggest frustrations they encounter in sketching is
sketches that "explode" all over the place after they change a dimension(s). If you
follow these guidelines you should get much better behavior with your sketches when changing
dimension values.

Ira

Message 10 of 13

13-05-2006 05:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Mat, I have trying dfferent things in VX this past week and hope to get with you with a few questions.

Ira

Message 11 of 13

15-05-2006 11:49 . am | View his/her posts only
Next question. I does one reorder the history tree. Say that I have a shell feature and then I add a fillet to the base shape. How would I take the fillet and move it ahead of the shell, so the shell would now show the fillet on the inside of the shape?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 13

15-05-2006 12:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Solidcad

Well, you simply right-click on the fillet in the History Tree and cut it to the clipboard - then select the History entry you wish it to be beneath, right click paste.

Ira

Message 13 of 13

15-05-2006 04:51 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, that was easy.
See also