Shelling problems

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 8

Shelling problems
09-06-2006 02:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
I'm trying to create a solid from a surface (face?). I've tried "Shell" command but it keeps giving me a failure notice. It's a single ruled surface based on two through-point curves (splines). It doesn't say why it failed just that it failed.

Any Ideas? Thanks

Kyonghun

Message 2 of 8

09-06-2006 04:40 . pm | View his/her posts only
Try the following to optain at least a partial result:

-Uncheck create side face option. This will give you open solid, but will eliminate one possible source of error.
-Set intersection removal option to none. This may give you rough geometry to look at.
-Use a very THIN offset distance, which helps keep the deviation of offset geometry to a minimum.

If none of the above work, post a file?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 8

09-06-2006 06:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Dan

Please attach a file to your thread (that only contains the surface in question).

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 8

10-06-2006 02:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

The file has changed since I asked the question. I'm not sure if it would be a problelm now. I think part of the problem was that I had the surface with fillets in the corners.

I'm also having a lot of problems trying to figure out the layers. I created everything on one layer and when it got too cluttered I tried to movesome parts to another layer. After following the instructions in the manual to no avail, some of them eventually moved even though I highlited the whole thing. Finally it ended up with everything on the original layer again!

I'm not impressed with the manual to say the least!

I have worked in Mastercam and Cadkey and found them to be more user friendly than this package! I'm not giving up just yet but I am frustrated!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 8

10-06-2006 03:50 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Dan
I understand your frustration. A big part of it is your experience of other old CAD systems - they don't work the same way as VX does, plain and simple. Stop for moment and think about the things you did not like about the older systems. For me (I was born in the aircraft industry ), a pet hate was the shackle that was layer management. The whole team (1000s) had to ensure that every single layer was managed the same in every file - this crude method of organising things cost a lot of time and of course was never perfect. Now, VX layer management is a respectable beast and does actually have a number of good points - but it is really there to help you work with legacy layer managed files from those old CAD systems. You see, VX is a modern, better solution. VX is using Object Management, no layers required! Your skin panel is a skin panel, not a bunch of layers. It takes a little bit of time to get to grips with the idea, yet it is very simple in practice.
Have a read about Assembly Management, top-down assembly, bottom-up assembly and how VX achieves this with component instances. When you say you "created everything on one layer" and "it got too cluttered", I'm thinking that you have not discovered how VX is actually intended to be used and thus you are, naturally, trying to use it the way you used the old systems. Once you are working with components, you will be free!

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 8

12-06-2006 04:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
hi Chris,

You hit the nail on the head. Having used only older CAD systems that is all I know. I know VX has a lot of potential, I'm just not sure yet how to utilize it.

I did read the stuff about top-down and bottom-up design and it did make sense in theory. Now I just have to put the theory to practice.

Like, having designed my tank how do I do an engineering layout of that one component, or parts of the component, without having all the other stuff getting in the way? Shouldn't something be moved to another layer to isolate it for creating a drawing?

Dan

Mike

Message 7 of 8

12-06-2006 05:03 . pm | View his/her posts only
Dan,

If this is a true assembly where you have inserted components, then you just open a new drawing sheet and layout the views of that part object.
If this assembly is made of multiple shapes then you have two choices.

1- See the WebEx recording I sent you this morning and create new layers and assign the shapes to your new layers. Activate your first layer and turn off all the other layers. Look at the part from the top view. Open the View Manager (it is the icon to the right of the Layer Manager). Save a view and make sure to check the option to store the layer info. Now when you layout a view on your sheet, instead of picking the TOP view, pick your saved view from the bottom of the name list. Now you can have separate drawing sheets and show the layer you want. The rest of the views will fold off the original just showing that one layer.

2- Instead of using layers, use the EXTRACT COMPONENT TO PART command from the ASSEMBLY toolbar. This will create separate part objects and replace them in your active assembly with components. Now you just make a layout of the individual part objects.
All changes to the geometry must be done in your original part either by editing the history or making changes before the extract commands.

Paul

Message 8 of 8

13-06-2006 01:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
I remember having a confusing time with layers on drawings, and Mike had to set me straight at one point.

One thing that I ran into was that the layers would not stay permanent when "Entities" showed up as my pick filter, it needs to be set as "All" for the filter, or it doesn't want to remember the view that you changed a layer to.

I also discovered that you can not re-assign the default layer to just be part of something. Everything that comes in to a drawing will be assigned to your default layer. It can also be assigned to another layer but it needs to retain it's original layer as well.

This all applies to drawings, but I had similar problems as what you described.
See also