CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Polygon reduction tools

Polygon reduction tools

Kevin

Message 1 of 5

Polygon reduction tools
20-09-2006 11:47 . am | View his/her posts only
This isn't exactly a VX issue but we need to export our CAD models to a visualisation system that uses polygonal models (.3ds format). I've not had much joy exporting VRML from VX, so I tend to export the data to Ashlar-Vellum software as IGES or Parasolid then export from there as VRML or .3ds directly. However even taking this approach I get large polygon count models which, for this latest job, are no good. So the options are remodel in a polygonal modeller (which I have done before) to run the IGES through a polygon translator/reducer. Obviously the latter option is preferred.

Has anybody got any recommendations for these? I've tried Okino's Polytrans but this isn't that good or controllable. Are there other alternatives?

Steve

Message 2 of 5

20-09-2006 05:51 . pm | View his/her posts only
Have you tried Rhino? Don't they do .3ds exports?

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 5

21-09-2006 10:25 . am | View his/her posts only
Geomagic is perfect for reducing polygons, it has many options for reduction. Give them a call to see which package will get the job done for you at the lowest price. They are the type of company that may even make new version with the other modules stripped out to reduce the software cost for you.

Kevin

Message 4 of 5

25-09-2006 05:05 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the suggestions guys. In the end the company offering the VR software also offer a (very reasonable) service to optimise CAD data for their system so my customer has opted for that (on my recommendation - don't want to be charging them for my learning curve!). Also means that any issues are their problem, and having just had a serious issue (with regards to its in built rendering engine rendering .3DS files) with another Kitchen/Bathroom VR planning system I am more than happy to do that :-)

Mike

Message 5 of 5

25-09-2006 10:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Try this link for VRML Export from VX. I believe this is better that the older solution we suggested.
http://www.infograph.com/mpress-3d-viewer.htm
See also