XP 64

Mike

Message 1 of 19

XP 64
29-09-2006 12:20 . pm | View his/her posts only
Can I get a show of virtual hands? Is anyone running VX on Win XP-64? If so, are you licensed on your network card or Hardware key(dongle)?

Steve

Message 2 of 19

29-09-2006 12:48 . pm | View his/her posts only
I don't have XP64, but I could load up Vista 64 on one of my boxes at home if you'd like... I use a dongle.

Mike

Message 3 of 19

29-09-2006 04:07 . pm | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the offer. If you are curious so am I.

More and more people are buying new machines with XP64 and the only hangup seems to be the driver for the hardware key. If your dongle is about 2 inches (50 mm) long, it is a HASP 4. If it is 1/2 that size, it is a HASP HL. I suggest downloading the appropriate driver from Aladdin. Apparently, the driver on the VX CD will work for either in XP32 but not XP64.

Bas

Message 4 of 19

05-03-2007 04:26 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi,

I am trying to run vx 12.60 on a dual xeon 64 bit with xp prof 64 bit computer with a Hardware Key (Hasp HL),
I used the latest Aladdin driver, windows reconizes the dongle but VX doesn't at all.
The "get system Id Number" gives the computers mac adress and a 12 digit number, not an adres from the dongle.

Does anyone have a solution?

Bas Nagel

Kevin

Message 5 of 19

05-03-2007 04:38 . am | View his/her posts only
This is odd. I have been running VX since version 8 with a Hasp Parallel port dongle. Upgrading to VX 12.66 everything was working fine but last week when I installed VX 12.75 I stupidly removed all previous VX installs before installing VX12.75 (normally I install the new version then remove the old). Problem is during the install VX requested that I had to reinstall the HASP driver, which I attempted to do, but it came back with an error message. So I am now left with a demo VX or a network card VX which I don't want.

Akela and VX know about this so a solution is in hand hopefully, but has anybody else come across this? If so did you get a solution?
BTW I am installing this onto Dell M60 laptop running XP Pro SP2 that has run previous versions of VX and the Hasp driver no problem. I have checked the machine - no viruses, no spyware, no hardware issues. VX 12.75 runs in demo mode fine.

Did I say I really don't like dongles? I read over the weekend that SolidWorks are switching to activation like Adobe do. On my desktop I have 4 apps that use USB dongles, but it only has 3 usb ports......did I say I really don't like dongles again? :-)

Bas

Message 6 of 19

05-03-2007 04:46 . am | View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: 3Dmonkey
This is odd. I have been running VX since version 8 with a Hasp Parallel port dongle. Upgrading to VX 12.66 everything was working fine but last week when I installed VX 12.75 I stupidly removed all previous VX installs before installing VX12.75 (normally I install the new version then remove the old). Problem is during the install VX requested that I had to reinstall the HASP driver, which I attempted to do, but it came back with an error message. So I am now left with a demo VX or a network card VX which I don't want.
q]

Previous to installing Vx you could install the dongle drivers you can download at www.aladdin.com
The request to install the dongle drivers during the vx install might disapear.

Bas

Message 7 of 19

05-03-2007 07:52 . am | View his/her posts only
Upgrading to 12.75 from 12.60 solved this problem for me.

Mike

Message 8 of 19

05-03-2007 04:11 . pm | View his/her posts only
Kevin,

This problem is not XP64 related.
The part of this problem I don't understand is that removing previous versions of VX should not have anything to do with licensing or the driver. They are three distinct things. The VX software, the license and the hardware key driver all talk to each other but are in three different locations. The error window is generated by Aladdin. While installing the new hardware key driver Aladdin detects some other program that is trying to run a SETUP program. I have sent the screen shot of your task manager to Aladdin and am waiting for a reply.

Mike

Message 9 of 19

05-03-2007 04:15 . pm | View his/her posts only
ShibbyNL,

I'm glad it didn't take you long to find the fix for the XP64 issue with the dongle. It was actually fixed in 12.7. Looks like it took you all of 20 minutes.

Kevin

Message 10 of 19

05-03-2007 04:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
Sorry Mike, wasn't having a go at you or VX here. I just found it curious to see a dongle post on the forum the same time I'm having dongle problems for the first time :-)

Golden rule folks. Don't do what stupid Kev did and uninstall a previous version that worked before installing the new version. Uninstalling removed the Hasp drivers as well.

Question for Mike. Thanks a point actually. When I uninstall VX (via the Windows control panel) should it uninstall the Hasp drivers as well?

Fortunately I've got VX running on the desktop workstation for the time being and I'm sure the Hasp guys will find out what the dodgy processes are (hopefully).

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 19

05-03-2007 06:02 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

The cause is not necessarily a dodgy process, it could be a completely legitimate one. Your anti-virus software for example. AV can be difficult to switch-off - if you are not sure if it is off or not, check the Task Manager. The problem could be a spyware program, I have seen that happen - anytime you install anything new, the spyware makes a note of the program name and attempts to report this over the internet. Try checking with something like Spybot Search and Destroy: http://www.spybot.info/

The process could even be part of the VX Setup, may be something from VX not being able to complete. So, reboot the PC to clear away any rogue processes that may be present. A reboot will not of course stop spyware.

Basically, it is sensible to ensure that no other software is running at the time of installing.

You can install the HASP driver after installing VX, I assume you have tried this?

In Windows, and without VX running, go to the VX install folder C:Program FilesVXCorpVX-12.75

In there you will find a "hasp" folder (hasp), and in there "Setup.bat". Double-click the bat file to install the hasp driver.

Kevin

Message 12 of 19

06-03-2007 09:05 . am | View his/her posts only
Trust me Chris, we have been through all this and more :-) I've got Mike Lang and Mike Lynch and hopefully half of Alladin on the case now.

My resident software guru has just spent the last 2 hrs trying to resolve this with me and he reckons there must be a rogue registry entry that is floating around as a result of the VX or HASP install process that is blocking things. We have tried switching off most of the processes but we still get the error.

The question I have is does VX remove the HASP driver when you uninstall VX? If so why? On Tuesday I was using VX 12.66 on this laptop no problem. On Wednesday evenign after the user day I unistalled VX12.66 rebooted then installed 12.75 and the install process asked me to reinstall the HASP driver......and that was when the trouble started.

Could it be (and this is what we are wondering) that the VX uninstall has remove some of the driver but not all, and the subsequent install has found some conflict somewhere? My guru recommends a total uninstall right to registry key level then try again......so......is there a step by step procedure for doing this? Which registry entrys need to be removed?

The moral to this story is never unistall before you install, and ALWAYS have 2 machines!

......and did I say I don't like dongles? :-)

If we ever resolve this I will post the results of the finding just in case it happens to anybody else. Of course if we don't then Akela can swap me my Dell M60 with one of those laptops they were trying to flog last week......as long as its not the handbag version :-) (you had to be there!)

Mike

Message 13 of 19

06-03-2007 09:11 . am | View his/her posts only
Kevin,

I post this command here for anyone who has problems installing the HASP driver. This command came from Aladdin this morning in response to your problem.
hinstall.exe -i -fi - kp -alldrv
I am having development give me a summary of what we actually do when the Control Panel > Uninstall program is run. I do not believe we remove the HASP driver. If we did you could just reinstall it. The fact that you can not install the driver using any of the normal methods tells me something else happened.

Let me know if this command worked.

Kevin

Message 14 of 19

06-03-2007 09:53 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks for the command line info Mike. I had problesm with the command line instructions at first (in that it still didn;t work) so I then called the help on the command line installer and did the following:

I used the command line installer Mike (Lang) sent - haspdinst.exe
I ran the command remove first of all (haspdinst.exe -r -fi -kp)
I then ran the install command (haspdinst.exe -i -fi -kp)
This worked.

I rebooted the laptop, inserted the HASP and ran the License Manager and it recognised the hardware key.

Thanks for all the help.

PS. TOP TIP

If you have a user name set up on Windows like I do the easiest place to put the installer .exe file is in your documents and setting folder, then the command line defaults to that location immediately without you having to mess around.

Deri

Message 15 of 19

06-03-2007 03:57 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin
You might like this - Command Here power tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Gives you a right click option in Windows explorer to start a command window anywhere in the file tree.
Cheers
Deri

Mike

Message 16 of 19

13-03-2007 02:13 . pm | View his/her posts only
This tool is really cool. For the normal user, and who is going to define normal, you probably don't spend a lot of time in a DOS window anymore but when you must this is great. Doing support, I am in there a couple of times a week. It beats typing.

Katsuyasu

Message 17 of 19

19-03-2007 11:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Recently, we also have some request from customer about XP64. So I decided to check by ourselves, too.
I was to check two types of HASP (4 & HP) with HASP HL driver. However, according to this forum,
we may need to check these with two types of drivers (4 & HL). Do you recommend us to check these with two?
I downloaded two drivers on Aladding web site.

These drivers are for endusers.
HASP 4: 4.102.5.22
HASP HL: 5.22

According to the Aladdin site, these two new drivers are adaptable for WinXP64 and Vista.
Could you please let me know anybody's opinion?

Yasu

Mike

Message 18 of 19

20-03-2007 08:26 . am | View his/her posts only
Yasu,

The issue with XP64, VX and the HASP drivers is resolved in 12.70. However, I do suggest you test both. The HASP4 driver is for the dongle that is 50mm long. The HASP HL is for the one that is about 25mm long. It may be necessary to download the latest driver from Aladdin's web site to run on XP64.
I am trying to get the latest driver on our CD.

Katsuyasu

Message 19 of 19

02-04-2007 05:27 . am | View his/her posts only
Thanks Mike,

We have just created XP64 PC today. Then I tried to install both drivers at first. The results is OK.
I could start VX on XP64 with HASP 4 (Parallel & USB) and HASP HL (USB) by HASP 4 & HL drivers.

As you know, we can not start VX on XP64 by the driver on VX CD. Could you please
include the latest HASP driver on VX CD, if your investigation have finished.

Yasu
See also