CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Question on keyboard customization

Question on keyboard customization

edgar

Message 1 of 4

Question on keyboard customization
04-11-2006 11:41 . am | View his/her posts only
I am still of the old school and love my 16 button 4x5 calcomp digitizer, using absolute mode. I have an active area of 40mm x 40mm, and with a simple short motion I can get from one side of the screen to the other. I like the feel of short precision movements, and no issues with the typical mouse fatigue. I am using a virtual tablet driver interface that allows me to customize and assign keyboard shortcuts from any active program. When running Cadkey (now KeyCreator) or Solid Edge, I have all my buttons assigned to various functions. Zoom All, Delete, Iso View, Pan, etc. I can just about draw without touching the keyboard, except for numerical input.

http://www.vtablet.com/

Now, I can assign just about any keyboard combination in these programs that I want, and change or delete existing ones if I want. I have been working to assign keyboard shortcuts to my digitizer for VX and it works just fine for the pre-assigned key combinations. For example, Ctrl+A is Zoom All a "canned" VX assignment and I can assign it to my digitizer button without a problem, works perfectly. If I go to the Customize menu and pick say, Ctrl+E key combination and assign the ^zoomAll command to it, it works properly "on the keyboard", Ctrl+E does in fact, zoom all, but, I cannot assign it to my digitizer buttons. I have tried all the available combinations, Ctrl+, Alt+, Shift+, to no avail.

I would love to assign some commands other than the delivered ones, but it does not seem to work. I know the tablet interface program will work for the existing assigments but VX seems to not want to communicate with it, for customized keystrokes. I'm thinking that it must be something with VX and how it's programmed. I don't think you can alter the default keyboard commands in VX as I can in the other CAD programs. If I could get some enlightenment or comments regarding this, I would be very interested.

Edge

PS. I have an extruder screw I have modelled but have a couple issues with it which I have yet to resolve. I would love to post it here to get some help with it, but it is a rather large file, even zipped (1.7MB). Does this forum have a max file size that it can handle? If so, what is it? I really would like some assistance with the model if possible. If there are any thoughts on how to handle this, I am listening.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

05-11-2006 12:06 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello Edge

You can upload a 1.7MB zip file. I think there is a total limit on your "share" of the forum postbox, not sure what the limit is. What are your issues with the model?

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 4

05-11-2006 12:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello Edge,

Try $report than you can see the comands behind the GUT. Try the command name like !FtAllExt for the extrude. It works with the SpacePilot for example but I need the RETURN key at the end otherwise it is not working. Normally all commands with a ! at the begin should work.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

05-11-2006 07:26 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello again Edge

That's good advice from Tom concerning the use of VX commands directly. There is a list of popular commands in the built-in help from which you can copy-and-paste (most commands should be pre-fixed with an exclamation mark). Search the help for this phrase: VX Direct Call Commands.

Mouse fatigue? My mouse never gets tired..........
See also