CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Labels and ID's - what's the difference....

Labels and ID's - what's the difference....

Paul

Message 1 of 4

Labels and ID's - what's the difference....
16-11-2006 03:36 . am | View his/her posts only
I have had on mnay occasions had to rebuild a lot of fillets that are unable to be regened due to very minor geometry changes upstream
Sometimes all of the feature fillet edges fail and I am left wondering "now just which fillet was that"?

More recently I noticed if I select a Failed edge pick in the Fail Dialoge window, the error message window discloses some ID's ? . Thinking I was onto something I switched View Labels on.
Alas, the labels seem to be from another world altogether.

So here is question #1. (The others are subject to the answer). What is the relationship with Labels and object ID's as uses in the error dialogue?

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

16-11-2006 05:19 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Mudcrab

Each entity can belong to several different levels of geometry. The edge of a face for example can also be a member of a faceset, a closed solid and a feature. Therefore, the label displayed depends on your active filter setting.

Paul

Message 3 of 4

19-11-2006 02:25 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
your explanation makes good sense and I have presumed the label prefix e = edge, f = face, etc.

However, when redefining a fillet, the filter automatically switches to Edge yet this does not assist in discovering where the old fillet was placed.
Further, the log window shows face to face ID's (presumably).

So, if identifying locations is possible via the labels, Id's etc. could you plese provide an explantion of the process.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

19-11-2006 06:42 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

Firstly, note that the labels do not necessarily take you to the edges that the fillet is driven along - it could be other edges of the faces involved that now present a problem and the report is about the problems, not about the good bits.

To find an edge or any entity, use Enquire Entity. Type in the entity number, prefixed with a hash sign #

See also