Top down assembly

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 7

Top down assembly
19-12-2006 04:53 . pm | View his/her posts only
I have created an assembly which is multiple "shapes" inside one "part". These shapes are very dependant on eachother for determining aligned hole locations etc. How do I extract these shapes to be individual parts so I can make CAM plans and dimensioned sheets? Is there a different way I should be doing this?
I have been running around in circles in the Help menu.

Using v11.82
Thank you.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

19-12-2006 08:09 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

True top-down Assemblies are easy in VX:

1) Create a new Part Object which is to be your assembly Object (VX "knows" it is an assembly once it contains some components)
2) Optionally (recommended), create a datum plane for the new component you wish to add to the assembly
3) Right mouse "Insert Component". The item does not exist, so enter a new name for it. VX then creates a new Part Object and takes you into the model space of that new Object. You can still see and reference the Assembly (and later, other components of the assembly).
4) Create some geometry - the model does not have to be completed, you can go back into it at any time (double click on it when in Assembly Space or select it via the Assembly Tab of the Design Manager or simply open it from the Root Objects list).
5) Click on the "return to parent object" icon to go back into the Assembly Object Space.
6) Repeat the procedure as often as you wish, when you wish. Of course, Insert Component can also be used to bring-in existing Objects (bottom-up).

To process your current multi-body Part Object and create a "real" assembly, download the VxDALs "BatchCreate" and "MultiComp". Use BatchCreate to quickly make new Root Part Objects from the shapes. Create a new empty Part Object for your assembly and use MultiComp to quickly insert all of the Parts (made by BatchCreate) as components.

Download the VxDAL programs (free) from: http://support.vx.com/customers/macros/

Note, both of these VxDal programs were written foe VX v10 and should be fine in VX v11.82. They cannot currently be safely used in any VX v12.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 7

21-12-2006 11:18 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

I tried a test assembly using the method you described for true top down.
In an attempt of avoiding to do the same thing multiple times, could I merge the components in the assembly, cut a feature across them, then somehow un-merge them to save the change to the individual parts? Example, for mold design I want to cut a cavity across several blocks of material. In an assembly I insert empty components and create each block (top down). I insert a cavity from an external file and merge all parts. This lets me subtract the cavity from all blocks at once. Now how do I save that change back to the individual parts? I tried "extract merged component" and "link shape to a component" but that doesn't seem to be what I need.
Is it better to NOT merge the blocks, insert the cavity into the assembly, and edit each block separately and subtract the cavity? Then to make the active part recognize the needed geometry from the assembly I would "copy assembly geometry", correct? I will have to play with it more but it doesn't seem to react well to changes of the parts.

With the multiple shapes in one part as I describe previously, I found that to be an easy way to make the mold assemblies. The block sizes are dependent on the cavity features. The cavity dictate where I can have the spits so I don't end up with feather edges, etc. My process had been 1) create one large block for mold, 2) insert cavity, 3) create planes and divide the mold into separate blocks.
With these molds everything is constantly changing during the design. The split may change due to a change in the cavity, the water lines move to make room for vent lines, etc. This way I can make change without having to go into each part.

I will try the macros on my existing design.

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 7

21-12-2006 12:17 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello Steve,

Please have also a look on www.antaresitalia.it and look here for the "LIB3D" that is a mold lib for VX that has a lot of function

Mike

Message 5 of 7

21-12-2006 02:13 . pm | View his/her posts only
Steve,

If you want to extract geometry to a component, then add additional operations to the component, use the following approach:

Use "Insert Component" to insert an empty component at the desired location (enter the name of a new part when prompted for "file,part" name). The new part is automatically activated. Use "Edit/Copy/Assembly Geometry" to pull geometry from the parent part into the component part. This step is logged as a regenable operation in the new component part. Then add whatever operations you want to the new part.

If you <right-click> on the new component and enable "Auto Regen", the component part will regenerate when the parent assembly is regenerated. If parent geometry is changed, the component part will pull in the modified geometry as the first step in its history, then it will regenerate subsequent operations on top of the newly-imported geometry.
----------------------
The "Extract merged shapes to parent components" command has a different function. It's main purpose is to re-extract shapes merged from components back into components -- all of them in one step. If the number of merged shapes changes, the number of extracted components changes. It has an option to extract shapes created from scratch, not by merging components, but it's always going to create new parts.

The "Extract" command was intended to be used as the last step before documenting an assembly -- that is, you do all the modelling in a single part, then extract the components as a final step. Any edits would be done in the original part before regenerating the "Extract" command.

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 7

22-12-2006 12:47 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,

Is it possible to have small viedo from both methods?

Three or or four simple components wiht small modifications would be enough.

This is just to get the idea and not to do by trial and error always.

On CAM side I'm doing trial and error all the time.

Regards,
Jukka Jalo

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everybody in VX!

Kevin

Message 7 of 7

22-12-2006 12:18 . pm | View his/her posts only
I did post a video a while back. I think Chris put it onto the ftp site?
See also