CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Selecting lines and curves in sketches

Selecting lines and curves in sketches

Kevin

Message 1 of 5

Selecting lines and curves in sketches
10-01-2007 05:58 . am | View his/her posts only
A PCR has been raised for this but I'm wondering what others do in this situation:

Take an example of modelling a thread on a bottle neck....

I create a sketch.
I reference in the neck edges so I have a reference curve in the sketch.
I draw a thread profile (say a buttress type) with one line drawn over the reference curve (ie the curve lies on the neck outer surface)
I now want to edit the line that is on the reference curve.....I click on it.....and the reference curve selects NOT the line.

You cannot fence select just the line without VX picking up both the reference and the line (or can you?).
I could blank the reference curve then select the line, but why?

What I can't understand is that in a sketch it is good practise to start by referencing in the edges you need, then draw the profile on top of that. So why does VX appear to put the drawn entities UNDER the referenced curves?

What strategies have others got for dealing with this?

Kevin

Message 2 of 5

10-01-2007 09:09 . am | View his/her posts only
Hold down Alt while clicking on the line! Thanks Rhys....

But, the question remains, why aren't drawn entities on TOP of referenced entities in a sketch? All seems a bit back to front.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 5

10-01-2007 10:58 . am | View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

VX isn't really drawing a line on top of or underneath another line (reference or not). In Sketcher Space they are occupying the same Z level (zero). Typically, you should not need to draw a line on top of the reference line anyway - just draw the rest of the shape, then use Trace Profile to pick the elements that the modeller should "see", including a portion of the reference line as in your example.

Paul

Message 4 of 5

10-01-2007 02:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi,
Trace Profile is truly BRILLIANT.
A TIP: If you think you might need to make changes to the position or size of the traced profile later, make sure you can do all that via dimensions.
IF you don't you'll have to delete the trace, modify the profile, and re trace which is really a new profile At least it's very easy.

However, features down the track, that use faces created from the new trace will now have different ID's so will fail to regen.
No big deal but to be aware of in the first case.
You cannot blank a trace which is a pity. Sometime the trace gets in the way and an Alt pick does not select the underlying line.

The other very useful thing that isn't so obvious, (training might help!) is you can toggle a reference line so that it is now an active part of the sketch and will extrude etc.
Cheers

Mike

Message 5 of 5

24-01-2007 04:34 . pm | View his/her posts only
That is what the <Right Mouse Button> "Toggle Type" does. The line is still referenced to the underlying geometry but now when you exit the sketch it is part of the sketch geometry. Extrude it. Revolve it, etc.
See also