Scary warning!

Kevin

Message 1 of 10

Scary warning!
10-01-2007 09:23 . am | View his/her posts only
After spending all day and half last night modelling up a series of parts in one file I created some sheets of drawings. I went to print the sheets and on the first sheet I clicked something on the Layout tab of the print setup (can't remember) then VX hung. I immiately restarted VX and went to open the file again, got the warning about concurrent use etc, opened the file then got a warning that said the file is corrupted! At this point I was about to through my screen from the 3rd floor window until I realised the file size was still 23MB, so I restarted the PC and then restarted VX....and...all was well :-)

The moral to this story is:

Keep backups of files.
Export the data ASAP upon completion (worse case - you have dumb data)
Always restart the PC before starting to swear....

Mark

Message 2 of 10

10-01-2007 09:37 . am | View his/her posts only
Been there, 12 series has scared me 6 times so far with things like this. Worst one was when I re-opened the file I only had the layout and not the model that produced it.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 10

10-01-2007 10:51 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Everyone

Saving File regularly is the order of the day - and daily back-ups too, on a removable media (and store that in a seperate building).

Steve

Message 4 of 10

10-01-2007 11:27 . am | View his/her posts only
We currently use a trio of 300 gig HDs for daily backups.
One is in use, one is in the fire safe, and one is offsite. They get roated daily.
The active one is connected to a Linksys NAS(Networked attached storage). NSLU2.
This was an extremely inexpensive backup solution, and has been super reliable.

Every computer in the shop is connected to it, and backed up using 2brightsparks Syncback SE. At $25 a copy, it was dirt cheap, and very flexible.

3Dmonkey, when I'm finished with most of my modeling, I end up just copying and pasting the current file I've been working on, so I have a very recent back... JUST IN CASE!. I'm a firm believer in Murpy's law.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 10

10-01-2007 03:08 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Steve, everyone

Everybody who values their data should be following Steve's lead in protecting it. I once worked for a company that saved their backups (tapes in those days) in a fire-proof safe, in a building seperate fom the main design office. Safe? No! A nearby river flooded and the flood was so bad it collapsed the production line, destroyed computer equipment etc. The murky water got into the safe and damaged all the tapes too!

Steve

Message 6 of 10

10-01-2007 06:19 . pm | View his/her posts only
Well, the Hard drives get some abuse by being handled a lot, the warm/cold in the winter months don't do much good for them, since I ride a motorcycle, and usually forget them in the tank bag over night.

I plan on replacing them yearly. And I *WILL NEVER* buy Western Digital drives ever again. In the past 10 years, I've seen 4 drives fail. Every one of the WD.

But still, with 300 Gig HDs at $90, external enclosures at $25... And NSLU2 at $75, and the good backup software at $25 a copy, this is *CHEAP* insurance.

Deri

Message 7 of 10

06-03-2007 08:48 . am | View his/her posts only
Good call on the Synchback SE - great software.
We've got a similar system - the two main workstations (250Gb) are synched to each other (we are rarely working on the same project and it's faster working from a local drive than a server) and also to a 1Tb RAID 5 Terastation which stores all the other junk (reference files etc) and archived projects. Two removable 320Gb HD's are used to store this lot off site. So far it's survived and it's a lot less hassle than using tapes.
With the laser scanner creating and average of 20Gb of data per project so far, I can see us having to get a second Terastation - one company I know of has a Terastation for each project....... lots of scan data!
I'm in the WD are good, Maxtor bad camp of HD buying, having had 3 Maxtor's die in the past 6 months, including one with all my photo's from the last 2 years on it (guess which one hadn't been backed up in a while........)

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 10

06-03-2007 11:10 . am | View his/her posts only
FWIW, the most reliable drives I have used are IBM/Hitachi Deskstars.

Deri

Message 9 of 10

06-03-2007 03:49 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hi Chris - I read a few reviews calling them "Deathstars"- I guess it's what works best in your experience, Ive got 6 x Maxtor Diamondmax, 1 X Wd raptor, 7 x WD Caviar and a Hitachi - so far the Maxtor's have keeled over firstfrom HD's that range from 2months to 5 years old, the WD's seem quiet and happy and the Hitachi is a backup drive. I spent a frustrating New Year's day trying to get data back from one of the Maxtors (avoid the Netgear SC101 NAS folks - they seem to fry HD's and also have an odd format that can't be read by stuffing the HD in a standard PC), the annoying thing is it was the motor unit that appeared to have died and there was no easy way to replace it, so I guess my nose is a bit out of joint!
Cheers
Deri

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 10

06-03-2007 04:03 . pm | View his/her posts only
...so what we really need is 1TB USB sticks
See also