CAD software discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Duplicate Face Management

Duplicate Face Management

warren

Message 1 of 3

Duplicate Face Management
22-01-2007 08:32 . pm | View his/her posts only
Hello my fellow VXrs.

I'm having a hard time finding a more efficient way of managing duplicate face entities. (VX 12.7)

A new client gives me files with 3 4 or sometimes 5 of the same face occupying the same space. (I get all the overlapped surfaces from FEA models and jumbled layers for comparison).

Are there any utilities for deleting or suppressing these duplicate faces, or am I just not looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks a bunch.

Warren

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 3

23-01-2007 04:52 . am | View his/her posts only
Hello Warren

It sounds like your client may be using Catia, which often does export too much geometry (The average Catia User does not know how to prevent this).

You have not told us which format the data arrives in, but it is probably IGES.

I would let the client know that they are exporting poor data, for two reasons. Firstly, time is money! Secondly, during the process of a large clean-up operation, it is possible to delete a design-critical feature.

On import, switch off auto-sew. This will at least make it easier to delete unwanted faces. It will also maximise the possibility of the layer management being meaningful, although Users that output poor data are often also guilty of poor layer management, as you have probably already discovered.

Check the "Remove Duplicate Surfaces" option too. Faces that truly are identical should then be omitted from import.

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 3

23-01-2007 08:04 . am | View his/her posts only
The "Remove duplicate surfaces" removes only duplicates on the same layer. If the option is not switched on VX creates a layer "duplicate" during the import here you can find all duplicte surfaces from one layer.

If you real like to delete all duplicates, import the file, move all shapes and surfaces on one layer, use than Heal > Heal part topology and switch both option
See also